Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NAMM Marshall

What's Hot

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4155
    I just ordered a DSL40R.  Wonder how their stock is, or whether I'll get the one Chappers demo'd in their video!  When it arrives, expect a full video review of it from me  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4380
    edited January 2018
    randella said:
    randella said:
    darcym said:
    another year, another Marshall disappointment. I want to buy a Marshall....but nothing seems good, ever
    I'm more tempted than ever to go back to a Marshall - the new DSLs look good, these Origin things could be a goer, I'd have a mini-Jubilee no problem.

Even if you don't like any of those, they make brand-new carbon copies of every decent amp on their books, right up to the JCM900.
    the jcm900 was not a decent amp
    Is there an amp you do like?
    you thinking the 900 was good surprises me as they were awful amps, the 2204 800 head pissed all over the 900 range.
    It probably did - although I'd be inclined to say 'was better overall' than 'pissed on'.  I'll freely admit were it not for the considerable difference in price at the time I'd have had an 800, I didn't come down in the last shower

The 900 did a job for me for years - it got me a decent, solid hard rock distortion that I could work with in a band context.  It's been flawlessly reliable and, in true Marshall style, is brutally loud.  It's a workhorse, albeit a one-trick workhorse.

I've moved on to a MESA (via a Tubemeister which I really didn't like), both objectively and subjectively a better amplifier.

I just think it's a bit hyperbolic to say the 900 was not a decent amp - there are better boxes around, not least from Marshall, but there are many, many worse for the money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I just ordered a DSL40R.  Wonder how their stock is, or whether I'll get the one Chappers demo'd in their video!  When it arrives, expect a full video review of it from me  =)
    Legend!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    randella said:
    randella said:
    darcym said:
    another year, another Marshall disappointment. I want to buy a Marshall....but nothing seems good, ever
    I'm more tempted than ever to go back to a Marshall - the new DSLs look good, these Origin things could be a goer, I'd have a mini-Jubilee no problem.

Even if you don't like any of those, they make brand-new carbon copies of every decent amp on their books, right up to the JCM900.
    you thinking the 900 was good surprises me as they were awful amps, the 2204 800 head pissed all over the 900 range.
    900’s are good. Plenty of iconic bands used them and I personally owned 4 or 5 of them. If you can’t get a good tone from a 900 it’s user error, although I can’t see how, simple AF. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randella said:
    randella said:
    randella said:
    darcym said:

It probably did - although I'd be inclined to say 'was better overall' than 'pissed on'.  I'll freely admit were it not for the not inconsiderable difference in price at the time I'd have had an 800, I didn't come down in the last shower :)

The 900 did a job for me for years - it got me a decent, solid hard rock distortion that I could work with in a band context.  It's been flawlessly reliable and, in true Marshall style, is brutally loud.  It's a workhorse, albeit a one-trick workhorse.

I've moved on to a MESA (via a Tubemeister which I really didn't like), both objectively and subjectively a better amplifier.

I just think it's a bit hyperbolic to say the 900 was 'shit' - there are better boxes around, not least from Marshall, but there are many, many worse for the money.
    funny you mention tube meister, i was gonna try the 40 but just couldnt get the idea that it sounds solid state outta my head, no warmth and nothing like tube tones ive played over the years, why did you move on from the tube meister ?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4213
    I never did get on with the JCM Marshall’s, 800 or 900, I did quite like my old Plexi however, which I stupidly sold for a pittance back in the early 80’s
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1303
    their website is down - while launching new products. That just sums it up
    It probably did - although I'd be inclined to say 'was better overall' than 'pissed on'.  I'll freely admit were it not for the not inconsiderable difference in price at the time I'd have had an 800, I didn't come down in the last shower :)

I just think it's a bit hyperbolic to say the 900 was 'shit' - there are better boxes around, not least from Marshall, but there are many, many worse for the money.
    funny you mention tube meister, i was gonna try the 40 but just couldnt get the idea that it sounds solid state outta my head, no warmth and nothing like tube tones ive played over the years, why did you move on from the tube meister ?
    Spent about a year with it - for me, there was nothing 'special' there.  Textbook distortion, textbook cleans, all a bit too textbook really.  Very nice bit of kit but I felt there was nothing there I couldn't get from a half-decent modeller (not even a Helix or AxeFX, just a high-end POD). 

The MESA sounds special, like it's got valves in.  Not just the heavy distortion, but the light driven-clean-channel sound that I couldn't get from a modeller or the H&K (or the Marshall ;) ) and use *all the time*.

Boiled down, it probably amounts to about the same as your experience.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2941
    The gain boost and fx loop are footswitchable :)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    TTBZ said:
    The gain boost and fx loop are footswitchable :)
    Oh for a volume boost as well.  Suppose a boost in the loop would work, but would have been a nice touch
  • randella said:k

Spent about a year with it - for me, there was nothing 'special' there.  Textbook distortion, textbook cleans, all a bit too textbook really.  Very nice bit of kit but I felt there was nothing there I couldn't get from a half-decent modeller (not even a Helix or AxeFX, just a high-end POD). 

The MESA sounds special, like it's got valves in.  Not just the heavy distortion, but the light driven-clean-channel sound that I couldn't get from a modeller or the H&K (or the Marshall ;) ) and use *all the time*.

I was at a practice session for a band i wasnt in, i asked the guitarist if i could have a rip through his marshall superbass head and i heard god that night, comparing one of those dsl amps to the superbass is hysterical, its all about the power tubes and not that flock of hornets preamp tone.
    randella said:k

I was at a practice session for a band i wasnt in, i asked the guitarist if i could have a rip through his marshall superbass head and i heard god that night, comparing one of those dsl amps to the superbass is hysterical, its all about the power tubes and not that flock of hornets preamp tone.
    I've no doubt, but if I got any sort of plexi-fronted Marshall 'working hard' in our rehearsal space it wouldn't be God I heard, it'd be the sound of the other four members of my band marching me back up the stairs and out the front door shortly before phoning their friends to see if anyone knows a guitarist who's free.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72955
    edited January 2018
    are the red speaker jacks shown on the back of the head  on andertons solid plastic ?
    Yes, which is as it should be. These are the best jacks available for speaker connections - better than the metal-frame Switchcraft type because the ground connection is a sliding contact on the side of the plug sleeve not a tube, so less risk of corrosion causing trouble. They're also not brittle like other types of plastic jack and will flex with the plug rather than break.

Does that help?

andyoz said:
    Can take or leave the front graphics of the heads control plate though...
    I don't like them. Pointless and annoying. What was wrong with the *original* type?

andyoz said:

...wonder what the speaker is.
    Something shit. You can tell by the label type and the magnet size. If it was something good it would have a green or cream cover, and/or a larger magnet .

darcym said:
    I really don't know why they just can't do it right. They have the history, the circuits, the styling, everything - but no, they always have to redesign the circuit or cheapen it unnecessarily or something and fuck it up.

It's not as if the whole world hasn't been telling them they want the same basic things for years, either...

darcym said:
    This. I really want to love Marshall - I started playing them when I was just starting out, the first new amp I ever bought was a Lead 12, and the JCM800s of the mid-80s were genuinely some of the best-made production amps ever. But they've never made the amp I want - which is nothing very esoteric, it's essentially just the best bits of a couple of old ones.

Ironically the best Marshall ever made is the Mesa Trem-o-verb, although it doesn't quite sound exactly the same - but close. It has all the right features and is built like a nuclear bunker. Why can't Marshall do that?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited January 2018
    Speakers are a V-Type 10 on the 20 and a Midnight 60 on the 50. My pick is one of the heads, I was playing them through a 4x12 today and they're awesome. Pure vintage marshall tone and the power scaling is actually usable imo. I'm just having a hard time deciding on which wattage to get what's hard to get across in videos is how fun they are to play. Really responsive, percussive and nice feeling. Take pedals really well too and tighten up for harder rock with a TS style pedal.

Tilt isnt ISF, it's meant to blend between normal and high treble voicings but I seem to just leave it in the middle or a bit towards high treble.
    @TTBZ are some official demo vids coming? Verrrrry keen to hear the 20w Origin
    edited January 2018
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    I'm intrigued by the Origin50H head.
  • I like the look of the Origin series. Keen to try one.
    TTBZ said:
    Not the most in-depth demo of all time but I really think it sounds ace. Can we assume a proper series FX loop?
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Looking forward to seeing the Origin 50.......hope it' not another range of amps that only lasts 5 minutes....