Cyclists what are your December/January contingency plans ?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2941
    @skunkwerx I suffer with shit circulation so to combat the cold hands and feet I've found the best method is a pair of snowboarding gloves and BBB neoprene overshoes. If you're wearing thick socks you need to size up your shoe otherwise you squash all the air out of the sock and they don't offer any more warmth. As for trousers, the best bet is just to accept you're going to look like a twat and get some bib tights. They're so much warmer than any baggy cycling rousers I've had and they don't flap around when you pick up some speed.

Not had time or money to fix my road bike yet but just finished off building my new mtb so I'll be taking that for a spin round the lanes later on today!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    Just done my first proper ride of the year - back on the turbo for tuesday ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31886
    I have a new winter plan, I just bought a Giant Talon 29er to mess around on, I'll be working hard enough off road to stay warm. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 916
    Fair weather cyclists make me laugh, as do the lycra crowd. I cycle to work every day of the year, in shorts.

If it's cold, I layer up. If it's raining I wear a waterproof. If it's windy, I man the fuck up and pedal a bit harder... 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12451
    edited January 2018
    The only way to do it, once you are wet that’s it you can’t get any wetter. Just push through and dry off when you get there. I’m an all year rider and yes you see the poseurs come out in the summer, usually during Le Tour. the fat Lycra mob on Pinarellos then a few weeks later the roads are cyclist free again and they are back in their cars.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • The only way to do it, once you are wet that’s it you can’t get any wetter. Just push through and dry off when you get there. I’m an all year rider and yes you see the poseurs come out in the summer, usually during Le Tour. the fat Lycra mob on Pinarellos then a few weeks later the roads are cyclist free again and they are back in their cars.
    Those guys make me laugh, obsessing about how their new £300 titanium groupset will save 21.7g off the weight of the bike... Whilst if they swappes the post ride pie & pint for a salad THEY'D lose more than that & it'd cost them nothing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2489
    Getting wet when cycling is fine, as long as you keep the wind out you'll be warm enough.
    I sweat loads anyway so even in dry weather I'm damp by the time I get anywhere.

I've got a Gore jacket which is worth its weight in gold though, it's properly waterproof, properly windproof, properly breathable, and machine washable. Highly recommended.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1489
    The only way to do it, once you are wet that’s it you can’t get any wetter. Just push through and dry off when you get there. I’m an all year rider and yes you see the poseurs come out in the summer, usually during Le Tour. the fat Lycra mob on Pinarellos then a few weeks later the roads are cyclist free again and they are back in their cars.
    Me getting wet isn't the issue for me, it's more the faff of the bike getting wet/caked and not having an outside tap at home to wash it. It's a REAL faff to clean my bike when it gets properly dirty. 

The only time (currently) getting wet is an issue is if I wanted to cycle to work - we have no showers and no drying facilities, so if it's cold and I'm dripping wet, I've got nowhere to shower and get dry.

I'd rather run/swim in the winter and start bike training when the weather picks up a bit. That being said, I will be cycling to work later this week if it's dry.