Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss answer to helix - fx 8 - headrush finally released

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27484
    andyoz said:
    I think the 6000 posts in the Helix thread scares me a bit. It's either really good or really complicated!!!

It's definitely both. It is actually about as simple as possible to dial up a basic mono pedal board with an amp at the end (or in the middle) in just a few minutes without even reading the manuals. 

But it's capable of *immensely* complex stuff. Multi-amp routing (both modelled, and actual wood & wires amps). USB interfacing, multiple fx loops, multiple settings within multiple pedals within a single setup, all switchable at the touch of one footswitch, then using the exp pedal as a foot controller for something inside the Helix at the same time as having it control something else via MIDI (iirc). 

I have no shame in admitting I found all that stuff overwhelming and led me down a path of options analysis rather than music. But if you want that stuff it's AWESOME.

And it does sound great.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andyoz said:
    I think the 6000 posts in the Helix thread scares me a bit. It's either really good or really complicated!!!

I just want something I can turn On and get about a dozen nice sounds (like Katana).  I'm guessing Boss might deliver that better than the others but could be wrong
    I’ve never once looked at the manual for Helix. It’s as intuitive as an iPad 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andyoz said:
    Tell you were I'm at with this....for me, Boss has it all to play for. I plan to buy one unless there's some major chinks in the armour.

I've looked closely at Helix since release and nearly pushed the button. Boss is first in line for me though... I'm older and always trusted Boss. My Katana still amazes me so God knows what the GT1000 might be like into my valve amps. Its got two pedal inputs so I can use my Supa Puss delay and Prince of Tone drive... that's all I need be able to input.

I think I like the industrial design of the GT better than Helix. I don't want the color screen of the Helix...I won't be doing mad configurations.

Wonder if the GT could be run off a chunky Cioks etc power supply?

Hope this things good as if its left to Boss and Line 6 to slug it out at this end of the market we're in good hands. 
    I wouldn't be surprised it Boss had a way of integrating the GT1000 with the Katana. 

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    "Innovative Stompbox" mode...

I do hope Daniel from the Gigrig spotted that... I'm sure he'd have words to say about the use of that terminology, especially as it sound like *exactly* the same thing that G2 does but with pedal loops.

Boss demos are shocking, though.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited January 2018
    Looking at this video I'm not too worried about the GT screen resolution.  I like the monochrome screen as don't need the full color of the Helix but that's just me.  I also like the color lights above the footswitches (not integrated into the switches).

People seem to be giving off about the lack of user loadable IR but from my understanding Boss are doing it their own way.  I don't want to be sodding around with IR anyway so if Boss have done it in a way that better suites modelling newbies then fair play to them.  If this things actually delivers on sound I really think Boss may have pulled off a blinder here.

I've gotten over my issue with it not having an onboard power supply.  The Helix is just too big for me and the GT1000 looks about the right size.

• impmann said:

I do hope Daniel from the Gigrig spotted that... I'm sure he'd have words to say about the use of that terminology, especially as it sound like *exactly* the same thing that G2 does but with pedal loops.

I think it's just called "stompbox mode", and the "innovative" part is just Boss patting themselves on the back.

As for the Gigrig comparison- I don't get it. The GT-1000 and the Gigrig G2 are not really comparable products, and the feature in question isn't common on products that *are* comparable to the GT-1000.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• TrudeTrude Frets: 916
    impmann said:

Er, what?  You're saying Gigrig own the concept of a physical stomp box with knobs that stay where you set them?  Because that's what Boss are simulating in SW here.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11491
    Just read that it has the acoustic stuff from the AD10 as well.  That could be useful.
  • The weight and size are always a huge plus for me; I'm surprised a few manufacturers still haven't learnt this lesson from the TC G System. If you're after a super portable session rig that has some of the best reverbs and delays around then this is a great solution - it has an expression pedal and is still less than half the weight of the Helix and Axe FX8.

http://https//youtu.be/yOAmKppBy0c

Unfortunately from this clip it doesn't sound like BOSS have improved their digital overdrives/distortions - the crunch reminds me of my old GT-3. Oh dear...
  • Has anyone found any decent sounding live clips of the GT-1000 yet?  The NAMM clips sound pretty bad IMO.  Boss's own demo sounds good, but I tend not to trust demos that sound too slick.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8554

Has anyone found any decent sounding live clips of the GT-1000 yet?  The NAMM clips sound pretty bad IMO.  Boss's own demo sounds good, but I tend not to trust demos that sound too slick.

I agree, all sounds stiff, fizzy and decidedly COSM. Was hopeful that afte Katana Boss has grown out of this.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2338
    I'll definitely try one.  If the drives are crap won't touch it.

I had an fx8 for a while, loved it in the house, and hated it on stage as was constantly tweaking it.   Tried the helix, but the size is too offputting for me. 

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

Has anyone found any decent sounding live clips of the GT-1000 yet?  The NAMM clips sound pretty bad IMO.  Boss's own demo sounds good, but I tend not to trust demos that sound too slick.

absolutely..
    you can hear studio processing going on in the Boss demo..

the up side is the you know it'll sound great in Abbey Road
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    thomasw88 said:
    I'll definitely try one.  If the drives are crap won't touch it.

I had an fx8 for a while, loved it in the house, and hated it on stage as was constantly tweaking it.   Tried the helix, but the size is too offputting for me. 

size wise, the Helix is still better than a 29kg 8U rack plus a 24kg box that contains the controller, XP's, cables, toothbrush and spare sock for emergencies

if the Helix or similar could meet my needs I'd end up with a 2U rack for the power amp, and the big box would have a bit less stuff in it.. but will still include the toothbrush and disaster recovery reserve sock
    play every note as if it were your first

• Unfortunately from this clip it doesn't sound like BOSS have improved their digital overdrives/distortions - the crunch reminds me of my old GT-3. Oh dear...

Given that the GT-3 had analog distortions and overdrives, perhaps they have. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    I just hope that when released it isn't a disappointment... I like the form factor and the design overall.
  • dindude said:

I agree, all sounds stiff, fizzy and decidedly COSM. Was hopeful that afte Katana Boss has grown out of this.

Joshua Munday does good live demos as a rule but I haven't seen one from him as of yet.  So far the GT1000 hasn't sounded that different from the previous GT models.

Clarky said:

absolutely..
    you can hear studio processing going on in the Boss demo..

the up side is the you know it'll sound great in Abbey Road

Yeah you just know they have polished it all to perfection lol.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    WTF is this guy talking about ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:

Errrrr!?!

I couldn't listen to that guy talking. Just totally random jibber jabber
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Fretwired said:

I thought it was pretty obvious! The GT1000 is "...like a big bowl of water sloshing back and forth....". He could do with talking a bit faster though :#