PSA: Virgin Media Hardware Upgrade (FREE)

What's Hot
Spotted this https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/virgin-media-customer-upgrade-your-tv-box-to-the-latest-v6-model-free-of-charge-virgin-media-2882691 ; on HUKD the other day. You can log in to check if youre eligible or theyll be sending out reminders/info at some point
 Check the small print as it might mean you enter a new contract for 12 months but as Im not leaving them Im not that worried. New TV box and possibly a router on the way, delivered free.

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• V6 box is a breath of fresh air compared to The Tivo box before it.. menus are as quick as they can be IMO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12459
    From my experience virgin give you nothing for free. Read the small print very carefully.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 890
    And they sued the NHS. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9779
    Virgin Media is not part of Branson’s evil empire, but they (bizarrely) pay him money to use the name.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    V6 box is a breath of fresh air compared to The Tivo box before it.. menus are as quick as they can be IMO
    This. It’s night and day different from the piece of crap that precedes it. 
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 890
    Virgin Media is not part of Branson’s evil empire, but they (bizarrely) pay him money to use the name.
    and that is different because...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12515
    Spotted this https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/virgin-media-customer-upgrade-your-tv-box-to-the-latest-v6-model-free-of-charge-virgin-media-2882691 ; on HUKD the other day. You can log in to check if youre eligible or theyll be sending out reminders/info at some point
     Check the small print as it might mean you enter a new contract for 12 months but as Im not leaving them Im not that worried. New TV box and possibly a router on the way, delivered free.

Thanks for the heads up, just ordered one. Our Tivo box is getting very clunky so should be a decent upgrade. Only signed up to a new 18 month contract recently so no changes for us.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Ive still got the Superhub 2 or 3 (i think) and our TV box is waaaaaaay old. For their yearly price bumps its about time they upgraded the hardware for "free"

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Just in case anyone didn’t know, every time the price goes up you get 30 days to walk away even if you’re in contract 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HippoPeteHippoPete Frets: 129
    Hi All,

Many thanks to the OP. On a whim, I called up yesterday and must have got a cancellation as the Tivo V6 is in and running this morning. I've had some real barneys with Virgin over the years but have to say the young chap that installed was a credit to the company.

As long it it doesn't self destruct like my previous Tivo's, I'll be happy.

It might be helpful to know that my SuperHub 3 is in the bedroom / Study whereas Tivo is in lounge. Wireless access instead of ethernet cable wasn't a problem and the job was done in about 40mins.

Cheers,
    They don't want your name, they just want your number.
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Just in case anyone didn’t know, every time the price goes up you get 30 days to walk away even if you’re in contract 
    Also worth phoning them every time they try to hike the price when the contact expires. We got £10 off the monthly cost for the first 6 months, £7 off for the 12 months after. Didn’t even have to do much haggling or threaten to cancel either. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Everything arrived today and all is well. I did have to turn the internet off for about half an hour but I think the kids have survived. Im pretty sure Ive been sent a Tivo, not sure if this is the standard box now but I didnt ask for one.

• Everything arrived today and all is well. I did have to turn the internet off for about half an hour but I think the kids have survived. Im pretty sure Ive been sent a Tivo, not sure if this is the standard box now but I didnt ask for one.
    They are all powered by Tivo.. if it’s a V6 box it’s the latest one.
    OK that's cool, not sure if I'll use it much but nice if needed. Might try and set the old router up as a repeater, my Asus one is ready for the big eBay in the sky. 
     Did you recycle the old box? Guessing there's not much you can do with them

Everything arrived today and all is well. I did have to turn the internet off for about half an hour but I think the kids have survived. Im pretty sure Ive been sent a Tivo, not sure if this is the standard box now but I didnt ask for one.
    OK that's cool, not sure if I'll use it much but nice if needed. Might try and set the old router up as a repeater, my Asus one is ready for the big eBay in the sky. 
    Last time we upgraded virgin asked us to send the old gear back in the box that the new stuff came in. They supplied prepaid labels, we just dropped it off at a nominated local shop
  • boogieman said:
    Everything arrived today and all is well. I did have to turn the internet off for about half an hour but I think the kids have survived. Im pretty sure Ive been sent a Tivo, not sure if this is the standard box now but I didnt ask for one.
    Last time we upgraded virgin asked us to send the old gear back in the box that the new stuff came in. They supplied prepaid labels, we just dropped it off at a nominated local shop
    There's a note saying "go to this website for recycling details" but jo mention of sending anything back. My TV box is waaaaaaay old so pretty much scrap. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 29175
    edited February 2018
    Our new hardware arrived. I feared the worst but it took maybe half an hour to install and get running. New Hub3 is much easier to put into modem mode, and the new TV box is certainly a lot quicker. And the app works now.

Not bad.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    Our new hardware arrived. I tested the worst but it took maybe half an hour to install and get running. New Hub3 is much easier to put into modem mode, and the new TV box is certainly a lot quicker. And the app works now.

Not bad.
    I had the SH2 in modem mode with my Asus RT66NU but haven't bothered this time as the SH3 seems OK. TV box is definitely quicker, for the yearly price gouge they do its about time I got the new kit. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 29175
    I stuck with the external WiFi box so that I didn't have to go round every device and set it to a new SSID and password. Plus I can make sure the firmware is always up to date and I know about any security issues.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."