The Boss SD-2

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 460
Not a review but this week I took a gamble on a Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive. A special thanks and mention to @JezWynd for the ultra fast postage and bombproof packaging, excellent service. I'm really suprised, this really is a super pedal, both crunch and lead are great. Only played through my line 6 amplifi and headphones as I currently have a poorly child. Hoping to try with the Princeton later on. Crunch channel is nice and proper crunchy, lead channel is nice and thick and both circuits seem to interact well with the volume control on guitar. Think I'll be getting the separate Boss footswitch to have that extra functionality.
I'm really enjoying Boss pedals at the moment really intuitive and simple to use, no arsing around, with this and my OD-1 it's a perfect set up for me. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I’m currently building an all boss board, they’re great pedals! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysoft said:
    I’m currently building an all boss board, they’re great pedals! 
    I love to see all Boss pedalboards, odd, but it's satisfying seeing the different colours combined together, I also like them when they are battered and aged. Would like to try a Boss CS-1 at some point. I currently own a TU-3, OD-1, SD-2, CE-5, DM-2w. However, the SD-2 has really suprised me a really excellent dual drive that works. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    Glad you like it. It's one of the best Boss drive pedals imo but doesn't get much attention. Works really well into a Princeton, the crunch side gives a lovely sparkly edge to your sound. The CS-1 is definitely worth trying; it's a marmite pedal but if you like it, it's a keeper; nothing else I've tried has quite the same feel. The VFE White Horse is closest I've come across but the Boss is much simpler to use.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    Many years ago my mini pedalboard (in a Boss BCB-3) was based around one of these. The beauty of it is that it can get a decent sound into almost any amp because you can always use the Crunch mode as your 'clean' channel if you have to, and just toggle between that and the Lead without any risk of turning the whole thing off. And it sounds good too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TJezWynd said:
    Glad you like it. It's one of the best Boss drive pedals imo but doesn't get much attention. Works really well into a Princeton, the crunch side gives a lovely sparkly edge to your sound. The CS-1 is definitely worth trying; it's a marmite pedal but if you like it, it's a keeper; nothing else I've tried has quite the same feel. The VFE White Horse is closest I've come across but the Boss is much simpler to use.
    Can't wait to try via the princeton @JezWynd ;the crunch sound definitely has a sparkle like quality to it... it's actually really easy to dial in... I loved my Zvez Double Rock which was 2-3 times the price but I found it a pita to dial in something quickly... I was always messing around with it forgetting the settings... too many knobs/toggle switches and too many options. This so much more intuitive.
  • ICBM said:
    Many years ago my mini pedalboard (in a Boss BCB-3) was based around one of these. The beauty of it is that it can get a decent sound into almost any amp because you can always use the Crunch mode as your 'clean' channel if you have to, and just toggle between that and the Lead without any risk of turning the whole thing off. And it sounds good too.
    Yep! that's what I'm planning, the crunch as my cleanish tone perfect for my rhythm. Then flip between that and lead for potential solo stuff, Really great that it reacts to my guitar volume. Is the SD-2 based on any particular circuit? 
    builttospill said:

Is the SD-2 based on any particular circuit? 
    I don’t know, I’ll have a look at the schematic and see if it looks familiar!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    builttospill said:

Is the SD-2 based on any particular circuit? 
    I don’t know, I’ll have a look at the schematic and see if it looks familiar!
    Thanks @ICBM ;
    Well, it doesn't look exactly like any of the standard circuits. Crunch is a simple single gain stage TS/OD-1-type circuit but using LEDs in the feedback loop for the clipping with a passive tone control, and Lead is a more complex cascaded circuit with five gain stages and both LED hard clipping like a Marshall Guv'nor and TS/SD-1-type asymetrical feedback loop clipping - in that order. Unusual!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s a great pedal - the ONLY drive pedal I have never sold
  • ICBM said:
    Well, it doesn't look exactly like any of the standard circuits. Crunch is a simple single gain stage TS/OD-1-type circuit but using LEDs in the feedback loop for the clipping with a passive tone control, and Lead is a more complex cascaded circuit with five gain stages and both LED hard clipping like a Marshall Guv'nor and TS/SD-1-type asymetrical feedback loop clipping - in that order. Unusual!
    A really nice mix of pedals there... there's definitely a hint of TS in there but without that mid-hump in the crunch setting. Thanks again
  • It’s a great pedal - the ONLY drive pedal I have never sold
    Have you tried yours with your RYRA? maybe it doesn't need it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 672
    edited January 2018
    Not yet - I’ve swapped the RYRA off the board with SD-2 at the moment due to the amp I’m having to use at rehearsal. Once I get a chance to use my Marshall again, will try them both together
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

Unusual but fantastic - I've been looking for one for ages, two very good sounding modes! 
  • ICBM said:

Unusual but fantastic - I've been looking for one for ages, two very good sounding modes! 
    There were a few on ebay! Prices all over the place