Diesel filling pump newbie - what am I doing wrong?

What's Hot
OK, I searched the internet looking for advice, but I'm stumped. I have a diesel hire car at the moment, a Jaguar XE, and I can't for the life of me get a good flow going from a diesel pump. It cuts off with the slightest finger pressure on the "trigger". The nozzle also doesn't seem to go very far into the neck of the fuel tank. Do I need to try to force it in further? It just seems to come to a hard stop. I need to have the nozzle most of the way out to get any flow at all.

Help!
Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
My feedback thread is here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    OK, I searched the internet looking for advice, but I'm stumped. I have a diesel hire car at the moment, a Jaguar XE, and I can't for the life of me get a good flow going from a diesel pump. It cuts off with the slightest finger pressure on the "trigger". The nozzle also doesn't seem to go very far into the neck of the fuel tank. Do I need to try to force it in further? It just seems to come to a hard stop. I need to have the nozzle most of the way out to get any flow at all.

Help!
    Sounds like a fault of the fuel tank neck or the nozzle rather than anything you’re doing wrong! I’m not sure there’s a particular technique!
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    BRISTOL86 said:

Help!
    Sounds like a fault of the fuel tank neck or the nozzle rather than anything you’re doing wrong! I’m not sure there’s a particular technique!
    Cheers, I didn't think so either. I've had diesel cars before, just not for 6 years or so. It happened on different pumps too, all at a Sainsbury's. I'm guessing the neck of the tank, maybe I should peruse the Jag manual.
    Hmm, maybe the misfuelling protection devcice is partially deployed or something, there should be a resetting tool in the boot. I shall investigate!
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    I just stick it in and keep going til it can take no more...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    some nozzles are faulty. Bloody annoying when you get one. I usually find that an incredibly light touch, just enough to get the flow starting works best
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3214
    tFB Trader
    Common problem, when the nozzle is inserted you need to provide downward pressure on the handle to help angle the tip upwards, if that makes sense?

Also happens to most JLR or Ford diesel vehicles manufactured after March 2008 - they all share the same anti-syphon and wrong fuel-nozzle technology.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Put some hair around the neck of the fuel tank Itll soon go in.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    RiftAmps said:
    Common problem, when the nozzle is inserted you need to provide downward pressure on the handle to help angle the tip upwards, if that makes sense?

Also happens to most JLR or Ford diesel vehicles manufactured after March 2008 - they all share the same anti-syphon and wrong fuel-nozzle technology.
    Aha, thanks, that makes sense, the misfuelling thingy comes down from the top of the neck. I'll try the reset tool as well.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    It's just God's way of telling you not to use the Fuel Of Satan.

:)

Years ago my Dad had a (petrol) Vauxhall Astra that had some sort of problem like that, it would take about 20 minutes to fill the tank and really piss off anyone waiting behind him. If I remember rightly it was caused by a kink in the filler pipe when it had been installed. Vauxhall wouldn't fix it because that would have required changing the whole petrol tank, which was a huge job and they didn't accept that it was a serious enough issue.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    Just a thought but you’re sure it’s actually a diesel, right? It does sound like the misfuelling device is kicking in. 
    boogieman said:
    Just a thought but you’re sure it’s actually a diesel, right? It does sound like the misfuelling device is kicking in. 
    I checked about 10 times. Big yellow cap, with "diesel" written on it, and an engine which sounds like it belongs on a farm! :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    boogieman said:
    I checked about 10 times. Big yellow cap, with "diesel" written on it, and an engine which sounds like it belongs on a farm! :)
    Yeah, that sounds like a diesel all right.  :3
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15844
    had something like that on my hyundai, depending on where I took it. I just used to slightly pull the nozzle out and that seemed to work. I got adept at hearing when it was about to fill, so could stop just short of splashback.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• blobbblobb Frets: 3117
    Debris in the filler tube? Worth checking, just get up close and peer into the filler pipe. It's a bit dark in there so you may need some illumination while you do it, nothing hefty required. A match should do the trick.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922

Unless it's hot enough you could drop the match into the diesel and all it would do is go out.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    try pumping some unleaded in and see if that makes a difference...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16275
    our Petrol voyager always did this
    Try putting nozzle in then withdrawing so it's only just in and let fuel flow slowly
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    When this happens to me I just pull it out slightly and the fuel will flow freely again.
    It was the misfuelling device thingy. I used the supplied tool and that sesee to have done the trick. Cheers for all the advice.