Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Frustrating job interviews, success, and non-offer

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Myranda said:
    I'm going to be interviewing for a job in a year and half-ish. I will be entering a field where there will be an estimated shortfall of 1.8million qualified personel - current estimates put the number of people in the field around 10,000 ... 
    Post Brexit customs official? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Myranda said:
    I am wondering if I should be interviewing prospective employers... rather than the other way around
    You should be doing that at every interview anyway. It's not only your opportunity to convince them that they want you to work for them, but also to discover if you want to work for them. I discovered many outfits that I don't want to work for on the way to finding the rare ones that I did.
    This. I've always thoroughly grilled prospective employers :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Well, I finally have the offer and I'm on my way. My current boss immediately offered me 10%. I hate that. If I was worth that much before then why wait until now?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27117
    Well, I finally have the offer and I'm on my way. My current boss immediately offered me 10%. I hate that. If I was worth that much before then why wait until now?
    Because until today you'd be working without the extra!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • randellarandella Frets: 4185
    edited April 2018
    Myranda said:
    I am wondering if I should be interviewing prospective employers... rather than the other way around
    You should be doing that at every interview anyway. It's not only your opportunity to convince them that they want you to work for them, but also to discover if you want to work for them. I discovered many outfits that I don't want to work for on the way to finding the rare ones that I did.
    Yep - this is it.  I once took a job that, I realised halfway through the interview, I should have turned down.  The manager was a complete dick - even the two other interviewers apologised for his behaviour once he'd left the room.  I was just more desperate to get out of the job I was in at the time and it seemed like the lesser of two evils.  I should have sat where I was, there's always another software job around the corner.

Always, always try and suss them out.  Once you've been through a few jobs you can spot the knobheads more easily.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Because until today you'd be working without the extra!
    Yes. Maybe everywhere is the same, but I'm firmly of the belief that middle management need to treat their minions as their customer. Apparently my manager had been considering me for a 10% hike for a while. It happens so little, so I may as well get out, increase my wage a bit beyond what I was offered at my current place, no bullshit with bonuses dangled like carrots, etc.

My short-term plan is for my bank balance to be in the black.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.