Sorted! Nova System - worth fixing or pile of poo?

What's Hot
Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
edited January 2018 in FX
Hi

I've used one of the original Nova System pedals for a few years and, well, other than the overdriven sounds being a bit lacklustre, I suppose it's done OK.  A bit quirky but, once set up and being careful not to do anything different - like doing ANYTHING different - it was OK for the absolute basics.  One very expensive, large and heavy box replacing two or three standard stomp boxes, maybe...but OK.

However, I had a major issue a few months back - luckily in a band practice - where basically the presets still worked, but in pedal mode there was nothing.  Unless you put 'Drive' on and then it was so loud it threatened structural damage.  And even with the presets, turn the drive footswitch off (local noise bylaws require such things with most multi-effects pedals...where DO they all get their non-volume balanced presets from, for goodness sake?!) and ear-bleeding volume reduces to absolutely nothing.  Basically, if the drive switch was off, there was no signal at all.  Not even any response from the Input Gain indicator in the Utilities menu.  I did a factory restore but same problem.

Spent today really starting from scratch :
  • loaded the latest firmware
  • did a factory restore
  • tried all sorts of permutations and combinations
  • sent an email off tothe email address TC Electronics say are their UK repair centre

Without going through all of the detail, I've managed to kid the Nova into getting to what I want as the basics - basically I've got Drive engaged all the time, but with zero Gain and, using the 'Bypass All' preset, have created a clean preset and, on a separate preset with SOME gain on the drive options, have also created an overdriven preset.  So I can basically turn the overdrive on by changing presets.

In the meantime, I've received a bump-back from the email server saying that the TC Electronic Support email address doesn't exist.

Although I'm irritated that the Nova was never ever as good as I think it could have been, nevertheless it was expensive and there is ONE combination of settings I really can't replicate with 'normal pedals'

So, should I persevere and try and find a competent service centre (anyone know of one?) or just bite the bitter pill and bung it in the 'Small Appliances' section of the local tip?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SloojSlooj Frets: 8
    I had a similar issue with my Nova System a few years back. I read somewhere that some of the chips in TC gear are in sockets and can come loose. I opened up my Nova and applied pressure to all the chips in sockets (and probably everything which looked like it could come loose, can’t remember exactly, it’s been a while). Make sure you check both circuit boards, the smaller one is for the drive, the bigger one is for everything else. When I put it back together it all worked like magic and has done ever since. Good luck. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    These people were (maybe still are) the TC repair centre and fixed my gen one g-major http://www.realelectronics.co.uk
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    Slooj said:
    I had a similar issue with my Nova System a few years back. I read somewhere that some of the chips in TC gear are in sockets and can come loose. I opened up my Nova and applied pressure to all the chips in sockets (and probably everything which looked like it could come loose, can’t remember exactly, it’s been a while). Make sure you check both circuit boards, the smaller one is for the drive, the bigger one is for everything else. When I put it back together it all worked like magic and has done ever since. Good luck. 
    Great tip - I'll try it tomorrow :).  I'll let you know how it goes   Thanks
    normula1 said:
    These people were (maybe still are) the TC repair centre and fixed my gen one g-major http://www.realelectronics.co.uk
    Thanks, @normula1    If the pressing of the chips that @Slooj ; suggests doesn't sort it, I drop them a mail :)
    Well, @Slooj - you're a legend :)

It worked!

At first I was a bit doubtful because only one chip was in a holder - all the rest were soldered.  But I duly pressed them all firmly and - sorted!!!!

But more than just sorted.  Remember my rant about patches that are all over the place with massive volume variations that has been an irritation of this pedal from new?  Bloody well sorted!

I'm so pleased - thanks hugely for the tip :)

Andy

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SloojSlooj Frets: 8
    Glad it helped. Great pedals these, overlooked by many. I’ve recently moved on to a Fractal FX8 but only because of the switching and memory limitations of the Nova. I tried loads of multi-fx but only the FX8 came close to the audio quality of the Nova. I wish TC would come out with a Nova mk 2 but they seem to have gone in a different direction now. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Sounds like @Slooj deserves a wis. Good result!
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 294
    simonk said:
    I agree!
    CarpeDiem said:
    simonk said:
    I agree!
    Me too ;)