Magicshine front MJ858 cycling light, anyone tried one ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
edited January 2018 in Off Topic
Brilliant, crap or whatever, how did you find it ?

My lezyne macro 600xl has bitten the dust and im looking a new reliable front light.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5066
    edited January 2018
    Not tried a Magicshine.

I swear by the Ding I got in a trade on here, very bright and with a nifty roadside light thing, cars always give me a wide berth since I got it. Specs state 400L front but I reckon it they've improved it from the initial run. Simple idea, but seems to work from my riding after dark on the roads.

Not the cheapest lights, but the concept works and they've moved on from a kickstarter to full production and supply.

https://dinglights.com/

No affiliation here, just a fan of a good light.

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • @littlegreenman ; that looks bright enough to light your way AND allow other road users to see you. :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2504
    I've a Ravemen PR1200 which is really good. Not ridiculously but puts all the light where you need it. Battery life is good, and the full beam button is handy too, I've it run under the bar tape
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7889
    I have a light and motion that is excellent, very bright
  • @littlegreenman ; that looks bright enough to light your way AND allow other road users to see you. :)
    That's kind of the point @Phil_aka_Pip , hence me having one.

I'm a responsible cyclist, we do actually exist!!! I wear mega-reflective clothing and am lit up like a Christmas tree every time I go out, just to make sure. I do still have close calls almost every time I'm out though :(

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • I use a Bontrager Ion700 it's good. 
    700 lumens is enough for unlit paths like this: 
    Commute https://imgur.com/a/DPcBa
    Then I can dip it to 200 for visibility on roads (saves battery too). 
    That's kind of the point @Phil_aka_Pip , hence me having one.

I'm a responsible cyclist, we do actually exist!!! I wear mega-reflective clothing and am lit up like a Christmas tree every time I go out, just to make sure. I do still have close calls almost every time I'm out though :(

You don't live in Cambridge then ! Or around here for that matter. But hey, good on you, I hope you stay safe and that nothing nasty happens :)

I also use a reflective tabard at night. I've had lights that AFAIK are sufficient to tell other road users of my presence but never strong enough to light up a dark country lane. Technology must be improving.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2504
    I use lights in the daytime too, particularly over the winter
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • strtdv said:
    I use lights in the daytime too, particularly over the winter
    Me too. I fitted a set of Reelight lights (magnetic dynamo system lights) so I've ALWAYS got lights on whenever the wheels are turning. Four years, no batteries, no charging. Brilliant things. 
    I use my Bontrager light for seeing by rather than being seen.