Superchamp X2. Am I missing out?

What's Hot
pottolompottolom Frets: 114
I have a Fender Superchamp X2, which I use together with my only current electric: a Tokai ES90.

The Tokai is a really, wonderful ES335 copy and the 'nicest' guitar I've ever had (in terms of how it plays, looks, sounds and feels), and I've had a few. What I haven't tried that many of is amps. 

The Superchamp is my only current amp. I play at home only, at relatively low volume, usually in the evenings. I play mainly indie, Beatles, and a bit of blues, as well as my own stuff (which tends to be a bit more experimental). I'm a very average player if I'm honest, but I'm slowly getting better and having fun in the process. I also might want to record an amp occasionally, and together with some friends we're talking about putting a band together at the moment.

I don't feel I'm missing out with my guitar, as I said, I've had a few so I know what I like now. I do wonder, though, if I'm missing out amp-wise, and the reason I wonder this is because the Superchamp isn't a 'true' valve amp - the preamp section is entirely digital.

So, my question is, is there an all-valve amp out there that might sound 'better' than the Superchamp but at a similar price? If so, I'm prepared to get hold of one and try out both for a while and sell the one I end up liking the least. The criteria I'd be looking for:

- Something that sounds good clean (I tend to mainly use the Superchamp on channel 1, so that's very much a Blackface sound), although sometimes I like a small amount of dirt too;
- All-valve;
- Something loud enough for jamming with friends and possibly small gigs;
- A combo;
- Relatively compact and small in stature, like the Superchamp, as I don't have much space to keep it in;
- Under £300.

One amp I did consider when I first got the Superchamp was the VHT Special 6 / Special 6 Ultra, but I thought it might sound a bit too tweedy for me, and not blackfacey enough.

Any suggestions gratefully received. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Will definitely follow this thread as I'd like to find something similar to replace my Princeton
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6154
    Will definitely follow this thread as I'd like to find something similar to replace my Princeton
    Do you find the Princeton too much for home use?

OP: I can highly recommend the VHT Special 6 Ultra. I moved it on eventually as it lacked reverb but it was a very good combo, the 12" speaker made a big improvement and it was a good substitute for the Princeton which I'd had previously. The Ultra channel could be slightly noisy but I found running the standard channel with a drive pedal (Gain Changer) did everything I required.
  • JezWynd said:
    Will definitely follow this thread as I'd like to find something similar to replace my Princeton
    Without de-railing the OP, in short, yes it's too loud for my small room. No usable volume on the low numbers on the volume dial, pedals sound woofy and naff at that volume, so I have to turn it up and attenuate it down which is a faff, not to mention the subjective issue that I don't like the sound that much :)
    JezWynd said:
    Without de-railing the OP, in short, yes it's too loud for my small room. No usable volume on the low numbers on the volume dial, pedals sound woofy and naff at that volume, so I have to turn it up and attenuate it down which is a faff, not to mention the subjective issue that I don't like the sound that much :)
    Interesting, thanks. Now back our regular programme...
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4737

I had the smaller Vibro Champ XD and it sounded great.  Next up in Fender cleans is a Princeton really but they cost a fortune and won’t sound massively better at home levels.

The ‘65 works great at home levels and great with pedals, not sure if the ‘68 is quite the same.

• I had the smaller Vibro Champ XD and it sounded great.  Next up in Fender cleans is a Princeton really but they cost a fortune and won’t sound massively better at home levels.

The ‘65 works great at home levels and great with pedals, not sure if the ‘68 is quite the same.

Mine is the 68 one, don't rate it for home use but my room is small
  • pottolompottolom Frets: 114
    JezWynd said:

OP: I can highly recommend the VHT Special 6 Ultra. I moved it on eventually as it lacked reverb but it was a very good combo, the 12" speaker made a big improvement and it was a good substitute for the Princeton which I'd had previously. The Ultra channel could be slightly noisy but I found running the standard channel with a drive pedal (Gain Changer) did everything I required.
    Thanks! That's useful to know. So you found the Special 6 Ultra did a convincing, clean blackface sound? My understanding is that it's also great for tweed champ sounds too.....? I wouldn't be very interested in the really high-gain stuff it can do, so I do wonder if the standard Special 6 might be better for my needs.

The fact that the Special 6 is completely handwired (and therefore, presumably, infinitely serviceable) is a real plus-point for me. One thing that puts me off (and I know this is superficial and therefore a bit silly) is that it doesn't look as 'cool' as my Superchamp!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    the trick with the SCXD models is to use external drive(s) and only feather-in the on-board models' gain. Also  - output to  abigger cab... the odd delay additionally can be nice too...

http://oi59.tinypic.com/wu0whd.jpg

http://oi59.tinypic.com/34fihhw.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • I’ve got a Vintage Peavey for sale that might fit the bill. Well under £300, all tube and with a really good master volume, takes pedals very well but will keep up with any gig. Was surprised when I got it how good it sounded at ‘bedroom’ levels! Other than that I can vouch for the VHT at home, though it didn’t keep up at gig levels. 
    pottolom said:
    JezWynd said:

Thanks! That's useful to know. So you found the Special 6 Ultra did a convincing, clean blackface sound? My understanding is that it's also great for tweed champ sounds too.....? I wouldn't be very interested in the really high-gain stuff it can do, so I do wonder if the standard Special 6 might be better for my needs.
    I don't know much about Tweed vs Blackface but the Special 6 did a very similar clean sound to my Princeton, perhaps not quite as complex harmonically but close. The real advantage of the Ultra in my eyes was the 12" speaker, just sounded bigger. It's a while since I had it but iirc the Ultra implementation was a bit clunky, you had to plug into the Ultra channel separately. Wasn't an issue for me as I prefered the clean low gain side. They're good looking amps in the flesh, quite lightweight, thanks to the ply cabinet, with a quality feel all around.

If you're thinking about the Special 6, then perhaps the head version might be worth considering - that way you could choose a bigger cabinet.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31869
    For your current purposes I'd honestly stay put. 

Don't allow your curiosity to make you buy something which is actually less suitable, unless you want to keep your current amp and experiment with a spare one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pottolompottolom Frets: 114
    p90fool said:
    For your current purposes I'd honestly stay put. 

Don't allow your curiosity to make you buy something which is actually less suitable, unless you want to keep your current amp and experiment with a spare one. 
    Yeah, having spent some time reading around the subject this morning, I think you're probably right. For my budget, and given my needs (something that sounds good at low volume, etc), I don't think I'm going to find anything 'better' than the Superchamp. It's also got some decent (digital) effects built in, and the amp models do a reasonable Vox sound, etc. Plus, it looks nice and isn't very big, which keeps my wife happy. I'll probably just stick with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16267
    I think the amp you have is amazing..........I had one and did the Eminence Ragin Cajun speaker upgrade and it was a superb little amp on channel 1 ........the modelling side is ok for a bit of fun .......ie OK from afar but far from OK !
     The clean channel through a decent speaker (stock one is shit ) is as good as any NON VINTAGE Princeton especially if you put some NOS valves in there ..........I would go so far as to say you would need to buy a Carr Rambler or a Tone King Imperial to really notice any difference unless you are gigging and simply need more volume but with an efficient speaker it can get pretty loud and still stay reasonably clean............modded up a bit it's a spectacular amp
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    The interesting thing is that contrary to what you might think, the clean channel goes through the DSP as well...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16267
    I never knew that .........was always told it was stand alone pure.....sure you're right tho
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    I was surprised too, because it does sound very ‘natural’, and it’s kept as a separate channel with its own control - but the schematic shows it going through the DSP board.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I really like my X2 as a grab and go amp. Bit underpowered for gigging unfortunately but I've got a lot of studio use out of it so far. If they do an X3 I'd like the option for a second modelling channel and maybe 20/25 watts of power instead.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14722
    edited January 2018
    57Deluxe said:
    the trick with the SCXD models is to use external drive(s)
    +1  Connect something like a MESA Boogie V-Twin pedal to the X2's FX Return socket.

pottolom said:
    I don't think I'm going to find anything 'better' than the Superchamp [X2].
    There is always the original Rivera-designed, all-valve Super Champ but that is probably over budget.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.