NJD

What's Hot
Seem to have a few job Discussions of late, possibly just that time of year ( the job market goes dead over Xmas and then by the end of January the new financial year projections start coming in so suddenly jobs get advertised plus people making a few new year resolutions). A few people on here have been kind enough to take an interest in my various job predicaments in the last couple of years so I’m updating. 

So, in  2016 I was made redundant. Into my fifties and I’d worked for the same organisation for about 23 years so I was left floundering for a while. After about 6 months on JSA ( minus two weeks temping) I got a job on a 12 month contract. Lot less money than I used to earn ( which wasn’t a fortune to start with) but still a lot more than JSA ( or nothing as my contributions based JSA had just run out). As this ends in April 2018 I’ve had to start looking for something else.

In the last two weeks I’ve had three interviews. First one was pretty awful, second one was better and third one was much better and they’ve offered me the post open_mouth . Permanent position ( subject to probation period,etc) and a slight increase in money, although offset by a longer commute. 

So, hopefully it will work out and I can stop being quite so panicked. I appreciate plenty of people are job seekers, work temporary contracts or just change jobs a lot but at a point when I was pretty much starting a countdown to early retirement I didn’t think this was a set of experiences I’d be having. Fingers crossed it all works out but I am feeling quite pleased with myself at the moment :blush: 
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1328
    Congrats - hope that eases your weariness!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    sinbaadi said:
    Congrats - hope that eases your weariness!
    Ha, no that's a life long condition... :weary: 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    Well done that man!  :)
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    Excellent news, Eric, I hope it works out well for you.  =)

• Great news Eric.  All the best with your new job
    Cheers all :smile: 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9772
    Best of luck to all the fretboard jobhunters. I was out of work for a long time so I know how miserable it can be. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited January 2018
    Nice one 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited January 2018
    Good luck @EricTheWeary - having been through a similar experience I agree it’s not pleasant - feeling young, sharp and hungry to earn a living post 50 feels ‘normal’ to me - but employers simply don’t seem to get that.

Great you’ve got an opportunity eventually - I’m sure you’ll knock ‘em dead.
    Cheers all. I guess looking mostly at public sector jobs the age thing is less of an issue, although my wife made an issue of me trying to look as young as possible so they weren’t subconsciously discriminating against me ( I think the excess fat is keeping my skin nice and springy). 

I used to dream of being made redundant and using that as a spring board for writing a best selling novel or becoming the next Seasick Steve or something. Reality wasn’t quite like that as it turned out! 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Well done sir. 
    Ta :blush: