Hoarding & Clutter (BBC content)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14750
    edited January 2018
    Internal Server cock-up. Double post.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1338
    I gave it a quick google:  https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/high-octane-women/201203/why-mess-causes-stress-8-reasons-8-remedies

Now that the topic is out in the open, I must admit that it really stresses me out and I don't see why it's necessary.  Life can be complicated enough even when you don't live in a one pound shop which toppled sideways.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    If you don't need it then give it to somebody that does.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • proggy said:
    The only thing I really regret getting rid of was my Rickenbacker 4000, even though I hadn't played it for years, I wish I'd kept it.
    Nah! The 4000 is light by one pickup, two control pots and a selector switch. You did the right thing. ;)
    Incorrect. Its problem is that its neither a Jazz nor a Precision. If it were either, it would have no problems.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    edited January 2018
    I don't know if this makes me a hoarder but I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't have at least a dozen half empty tins of paint lying around. 
  • Neill said:
    I don't know if tis makes me  a hoarder but I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't have at least a dozen half empty tins of paint lying around. 
    I think that just makes you too lazy to take them to the dump.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    Neill said:
    I don't know if this makes me a hoarder but I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't have at least a dozen half empty tins of paint lying around. 
    Old paint can Neddy!

[ that makes sense if you've watched a lot of The Simpsons]

Actually I have some paint cans to get rid of and don't know what to do with them. I don't know if they can go in the metal recycling ( as they still have gunk in them) with the bean cans or if there is a special bit at the recycling centre ( 20 mile round trip so seems a bit of an environmental nonsense to do that for a handful of paint cans)? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    I am a dreadful hoarder. That applies to both stuff and money so I don't think I fit the original theory very well.
  • I used to hoard everything. Now I keep nothing. I even through out stuff I like.

Best decision I ever made.

More Space.  More Freedom.  More Time.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508

I used to hoard everything. Now I keep nothing. I even through out stuff I like.

But there’s also a happy medium somewhere. Keeping stuff because you feel a compulsive need to is a problem. Having things that you like around you is fine as long as it doesn’t control your life.

I keep certain things because they either mean something to me, they’re useful or I simply get pleasure out of owning them. I have control of what I keep though, not the other way round. 
  • boogieman said:

I used to hoard everything. Now I keep nothing. I even through out stuff I like.

But there’s also a happy medium somewhere. Keeping stuff because you feel a compulsive need to is a problem. Having things that you like around you is fine as long as it doesn’t control your life.

I keep certain things because they either mean something to me, they’re useful or I simply get pleasure out of owning them. I have control of what I keep though, not the other way round.

Yes, of course its OK to keep stuff you like or gives you pleasure.

But take books for instance - l love a good book and used to keep them all.
    I had hundreds.....but l don't think l read any of them a second time, they just took up space and gathered dust. They all went to the Charity Shop.
    Now when l finish a book l give it away, l know l won't read it again.
    Same goes with DVDs, never watch a movie twice.
    Gave all my Vinyl to my Hipster son.  Copied hundreds of CD"s onto a hard drive then gave them all away too......
    Then there's loads of other stuff... How many pairs of Jeans do you need. .? 
    When was the last time you used that food mixer .?  Sandwich maker ? 
    How many cups, mugs and glasses do you actually use...... 

It's all maybe a bit scary for some,  l used to have loads and loads of stuff and it all eventually dragged me down.  Now l have next to feck all and have never felt better.