Tom Tom to stop supporting older Sat Navs with Lifetime map updates

What's Hot
Check this to see if yours is affected:-

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/911857/TomTom-Sat-Nav-LIfetime-Obsolete

This is on the Tom Tom website:-

End of life device with Lifetime maps

• 5 hours ago
VikramK
Rank
Userlevel 4
Badge+3
Hello all

There seems to be some confusion among users having end of life devices with Lifetime maps.

Let me explain, if your device comes with Lifetime maps then it will be honoured and you will continue to receive new map updates going forward.

However, you will not be able to order Services (LIVE and Speed cameras) purchase new maps for other regions on the TomTom webshop.

Rest has already been explained before on this topic.

Thank you and regards
Vikram
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806

VikramK
    Rank
    Userlevel 4
    Badge+3
    Hello all,

From the 16th of January 2018, we will stop to sell maps and services for devices with an internal memory of 2GB or less.

It has become clear that some of our older-generation navigation devices do not have enough memory to accommodate the latest available maps and software updates. 

In case you have an active subscription, you will be able to update the device till the subscription expires. Once the subscription has expired customers won't be able to renew the services.

Anyone who has an EOL device associated with their account should already have received about 2 emails with a discount on upgrading to a current device. We started adding 2GB devices to this offer in October. 

What is EOL?

Like last time - users can no longer buy new updates and services. Some features of TomTom HOME are no longer available. When an EOL device is connected, you will find that some icons are greyed out by TomTom HOME. You should get a popup when the device is connected as a reminder that the product is EOL and so you don't not have all the options. It will also link to the obsolete page for an upgrade offer. 

To know more about EOL and see the list of devices please visit the official website link below: 

UK and Europehttps://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/

UShttps://www.tomtom.com/en_us/obsolete-products/

Asia and Pacifichttps://www.tomtom.com/en_au/obsolete-products/

Regards
    Vikram
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    So, does life mean life, or not?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    i got one for christmas. bought it for myself off ebay reconditioned. still in the box as i dont need it till the summer. lol may end up in the bin.
    i Think life means for the lifetime Tom Tom care to supply updates!   
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    So, does life mean life, or not?

Think of it like getting  life in prison....... Its not life in prison. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12336
    The BBC article had a superb comment from TomTom - possibly the funniest comment ever made with a straight face, basically "lifetime updates means the useful lifetime of the device, and it's no longer useful when we stop providing updates" Orwell would be proud of dictionary mangling like that!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Actually it’s a pretty common bit of technology terminology.

Each bit of kit has an expected lifetime. For a PC that might be 3,4 or 5 years - even if used for 10 years, the expected lifetime is still 5 years or so. 

Networking equipment even more so as the warranties are based on Limited Lifetime warranties. 

“Lifetime” in the context of technology always refers to the device, not the user. EOL - end of life is the end of support point as it’s assumed its lifetime has finished by this point. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    My Tom Tom is on this list but as the map updates never worked properly and the bastard thing doesn't work at all now then it doesn't matter. I've owned two Tom Tom's and both have completely clapped out after a few years. 
    As people use phone apps more and more for this ( I think) there may be the end of the sat nav in sight anyway.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    I've just bought a car (Renault Grand Scenic, 2011) with a factory-installed TomTom sat-nav, but I can't find any info about the model number.

Anyone know? It may not matter anyway since I hadn't really thought about whether it needed updating, but I shall need to investigate... this is all new to me :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    I've just bought a car (Renault Grand Scenic, 2011) with a factory-installed TomTom sat-nav, but I can't find any info about the model number.

Anyone know? It may not matter anyway since I hadn't really thought about whether it needed updating, but I shall need to investigate... this is all new to me :).
    The TomTom in our 2010 Clio has its version in the settings somewhere I think? Ours has an sd card in the front but we’ve never tried to update it. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    guitarcookie1 said:

The TomTom in our 2010 Clio has its version in the settings somewhere I think? Ours has an sd card in the front but we’ve never tried to update it. 
    Aha! I found that and just tried it - very simple, you just need a card reader and to download an app. It does appear to have accepted an update, although if I want a year's subscription to the latest maps it's £39.95... I'll have to decide if I'm bothered about that or not!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• its gotta be better than the tom tom i bought off U2.   the streets have no names, and i still havnt found what im looking for.

il get me coat
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    ICBM said:
    I've just bought a car (Renault Grand Scenic, 2011) with a factory-installed TomTom sat-nav, ... this is all new to me :).
    Welcome to the Tom Tom Club.

From Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • its gotta be better than the tom tom i bought off U2.   the streets have no names, and i still havnt found what im looking for.

il get me coat
    That's the 3rd time this week that I've endured that joke.

il get me coat
    That's the 3rd time this week that I've endured that joke.
    well,  its not unusual..............thats a Tom Tom Jones
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12336
    Actually it’s a pretty common bit of technology terminology.

Each bit of kit has an expected lifetime. For a PC that might be 3,4 or 5 years - even if used for 10 years, the expected lifetime is still 5 years or so. 

Networking equipment even more so as the warranties are based on Limited Lifetime warranties. 

“Lifetime” in the context of technology always refers to the device, not the user. EOL - end of life is the end of support point as it’s assumed its lifetime has finished by this point. 
    Yes I know that, it is however rarely applied with such contempt as displayed on this occasion.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...