So ....... are Bigsby's really that bad?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29037
    I should point out that I don't actually dislike Floyds - on the right guitar they look OK and they certainly work.

My happy-place, trem-wise, is a 2-pointer with cast saddles - the latter for looks. I don't know how the performance or sound changes, but I don't like how the bent steel saddles look, and I am nothing if not superficial.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
     I am nothing if not superficial.
    You put the super in superficial.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29037
    Thank you!

I'm also trying to put the tiara in something but haven't yet found a word (other than "tiaras") that has "tiara" in it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I'm a detractor, and it's not because I expect them to do the Floyd-Rose stuff that Mr Bigsby never intended his invention to do.

I am partially put off by the appearance. Purely a subjective opinion, but I think they're as ugly as sin.

I can also see @p90fool 's point about impeding access to the other controls.

I am willing to concede the point about if you set them up properly you don't have tuning issues, as I once believed that the standard strat vibrato was culpable for tuning issues on my strat, until I had it set up properly, and then the tuning problems disappeared.

However my gut reaction to the device is "it's just 'wrong' and I don't like it"
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Sporky said:
    Thank you!

I'm also trying to put the tiara in something but haven't yet found a word (other than "tiaras") that has "tiara" in it.

Princess Sporky of Tiaraland ?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I have had a few teething issues with the Bigsby on my Gretsch G5120..but as others have said, this is down to set-up issues and a cheap and cheerful nut - Since addressing these things, the Bigsby works much better.

I think for a certain type of music, nothing less than a large, semi-hollow with a Bigsby will do. I'm 99% of the time a hard-tail, solid guitar guy, but every so often the inner Setzer wants to break free...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72937
    edited August 2013
    A lot of the problem with Gretsches and some other semis is the floating bridge - it tends to move when you use the Bigsby. If you fix them down properly - which can be done invisibly if you don't just crudely ram two screws through the ends of the bridge - they're a lot more stable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7349
    octatonic said:
    But they look plain awful!
    I think it depends on the guitar:

Yes you're right, they look dependably shit on any guitar.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1213
    As always.....

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    Great balancing and sustain gadget for an SG
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11041
    tFB Trader
    By own blend of Brit 60s/70s R&R and R&B works well with a Bigsby ... great for wobbling feedback on some more gain laden numbers. I actually get quite aggressive with it ... and I don't suffer tuning issues. Of course my personal hatred of Floyd-Combine-Harvesters is as well known as Bucket's aversion to the noble Bigsby ... so I won't even go there :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22503
    ICBM said:
    Bigsbys are brilliant on the right guitar.

I'm only about 90% convinced a Tele is the right guitar though... and I've owned an original '69 factory fitted one. Obviously they add the function of the vibrato, but they do change the sound of the guitar slightly, and I think take away some of the important 'Tele-ness'.

Oddly enough I feel exactly the same about Thinlines in that they aren't quite proper Teles, but a Thinline with a Bigsby is OK! Although still doesn't sound exactly like a Tele...

Absolutely. A Tele with a Bigsby doesnt have the same snap to it for my liking. Les Pauls and 335's, they kick butt. The Maestro trem is great on an SG, didn't like it on a 335. It makes the sound a bit more 'plinky' on a 335. 

If you get a decent nut, lubricate it, and have decent tuners, you won't have huge tuning issues with a Bigsby. 

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22503
    p90fool said:
    String changes are a doddle, just use a capo as a third hand to keep the strings in place, like you would with any other trapeze with open slots.
    String changes are even easier with locking tuners. Any modded guitar I've had with a Bigsby has had locking Grovers to go with it. Super-duper easy string changes.