LibreCad.. Jesus wept..

What's Hot
FosterFoster Frets: 1100
At work we're thinking of putting a new unit down, just want to make sure it all fits and have a play around before we commit to dropping a massive unit somewhere.

Had the site professionally surveyed, cad drawings given, hurrah, etc. Now to have a play with them and see where new unit can go.

I've never used any CAD software before. Boy am I glad about that! So far i've spent an hour struggling to draw a triangle.

I know the size of the unit but in librecad I have to draw the rectangle with the mouse and then you can't change the size of it, unless you no longer want it to be a rectangle and are happy using the precision of a mouse again... Why the bloody hell can't you just type in a box the size you want??

It also seems that half the tools work by selecting the tool, selecting what you want the tool to work on and then naff all happening besides. 

I must've missed something, why would you force users to get the exact size on first attempt with a mouse in the exact location? I can't even rotate the bloody thing!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    That sounds rubbish.

I wonder if it's related to Alibre, the worst CAD package I've ever used. In that you had to draw the primitive shape (eg a generic rectangle), then apply a dimension to the shape, then adjust the dimension.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Libre<anything> strikes me as being total pants. Same with OpenOffice. At least the old versions of the Mickeysoft tools used to work.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Basically I just need a CAD software package and we're not keen on having to subscribe to whateveritisCAD, we won't use it that often.

So I went for the suggested free route... Mistake!

Does anyone have good recommendations? It's for floorplans and making sure stuff fits (will eventually measure inside and do all that too). Free or 'pay once and that's it lad' is what i'm after - I can give quotes to the gaffer from there.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    edited January 2018
    Print plan.
    Cut out shapes.
    Play.

Edit: just had a glance at the manual.
    Draw rectangle, choose modify on menu, left click on a line, set start and end co-ordinates.
    Not free, but Rhino3D is excellent and there's a 30-day trial if you only need it once.

Otherwise Sketchup.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1252
    Fusion360 is free for hobbyists and small businesses, and has plenty tutorial videos on youtube.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Draftsight standard is free.
    It is an autocad clone that does Dwgs.
    Easier to get help with.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Veganic said:
    Print plan.
    Cut out shapes.
    Play.

That is exactly what I want, on a computer with a built in measuring stick so I know far far apart things are.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I've used some shoddy CAD software in the past, one architect I worked for used FastCad which is a trade description atrocity. 

There's a reason AutoCAD is the industry standard, just a shame it's so flippin expensive! 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2226
    edited January 2018
    'Draw', which is part of the LibreOffice package, works OK for me for basic things that I used to do in Microsoft Visio.
    It's not a competition.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2489
    You can get a free trial of AutoCad or AutoCad LT. I'd recommend the latter for something simple.
    https://www.autodesk.com/products/autocad-lt/free-trial
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2100
    + for Auto Cad Lite

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    Sketchup would work with an imported dwg file and is pretty intuitive and easy to use. There's a free version for non-commercial use. 
    Fuengi said:

There's a reason AutoCAD is the industry standard
    ...but no-one one knows what it is.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    edited January 2018
    I'm pretty experienced with CorelDraw, been using it for 25 years for work. Doing mostly lineart. However it does have quite comprehensive CAD features and is pretty easy to use. I also have a copy of CorelCAD and find that pretty much unfathomable. 

I suppose it all depends on what you're going to be using all for. If it's just floor plans then CorelDraw would be fine but if you need construction drawings for builders and specifiers then get something that is at least vaguely industry standard CAD. 
  • danodano Frets: 1612
    Libre office / studio etc is  spin off of the free OpenOffice.  Make up your own mind on that.

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Sporky said:
    Fuengi said:

There's a reason AutoCAD is the industry standard
    ...but no-one one knows what it is.

Ability to share files is one. Once a few people are using it, and somebody else wants the data in electronic form (and not a neutered DXF), they need ACAD as well. It's something that Dassault Systemes are pretty good at with SolidWorks, a strategy which is enhanced by the fact that new versions can't save in previous version formats, meaning everybody has to upgrade every year to be able to work with native SW format files from others (or suffer the 3D equivalent of DXF in STEP or IGES formats).

Another is the installed skill base - people being able to use it in the first place. Autodesk have always been a bit ambivalent about people having flakey copies of ACAD, knowing that using it early in their careers will develop the skills to use it, and thus create a demand for employers to provide it. As noted above regarding Fusion 360, they actively encourage freebie use by amateurs.

Anyway, 2D ACAD and the freebie Draftsight clone are fine for construction stuff and things like floorplans. A bit limited for engineering now, what with the plethora of powerful 3D apps that do it so much better.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• dano said:
    Libre office / studio etc is  spin off of the free OpenOffice.  Make up your own mind on that.

OpenOffice is shite. LibreOffice is shite-er
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Could  give Visio a go?