replacing pole piece screws on humbuckers

What's Hot
Just bought a pair of '57 classic p'ups for my Tokai 335 copy. They have gold covers on them, and I want to change them for chrome covers. No problem changing them , but the screws on the '57s are also gold. Any issues with taking them out and replacing them with matching screws for the chrome covers?

Al
Never ever bloody anything, ever!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9783
    The gold plating must be pretty thin - take them out and give the heads a polish with some metal polish.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    No problem with replacing them, just unscrew them. 

The plating underneath will be nickel, which still won't match if the covers actually are chrome rather than nickel. They can look similar until you see them side by side. It's difficult to get the gold out of the slot, too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    Thanks folks.
    Actually, whilst I'm here, I don't know which is the neck and which is the bridge pickup. As I understand it, it doesn't matter with '57s, but they are each labelled with numbers, one has  0250 and the other with 0173 if that means anything?
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Use a multimeter and the highest resistance will probably be the bridge. Also if they're used the bridge wire might be shorter if they were previously cut to length.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9783
    If there's a difference in dc resistance the higher one will be a '57 Classic Plus, which is often substituted in the bridge position. 
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    If both stickers say 57 Classic then it doesn't matter as they are as good as identical and will be around 8KΩ a piece.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11146
    edited March 2014 tFB Trader
    Beware of getting over sized nickel fillister headed pole screws that won't fit your new covers. There are some pretty wide tolerances about, and many screw heads won't fit the holes. If you use (Bugger)Allparts covers then use their pole screws. I use USA made Mojotone screws which also fit (Bugger)Allparts covers ... however at least three different sources on Flea Bay have turned up either oversize ones that will bulge your covers and ruin them ... or undersize ones with poorly formed slots, that have unsightly gaps around them when fitted to 'standard' covers ... and are a pain in the arse to put in (plus chew easily). :(

This is further complicated by covers not having 'standard' hole sizes either!!!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

They're in and they sound great! Swapped the covers for the ones in the Tokai, but yes, on one pickup, the screws don't line up properly with the holes in the cover.