eBay dropping PayPal?

What's Hot
Just had this email through. Seems like they are trying to cut Paypal out a bit which seems odd.

Dear shaunyshaun1234,

eBay is happy to announce plans to further improve the customer experience by intermediating payments on our Marketplace platform. In doing so, eBay will manage the payments flow, simplifying the end-to-end experience for both buyers and sellers. We have signed an agreement with Adyen, a leading global payments processor, to become our primary payments processing partner. PayPal, a long-time eBay partner, will be a payments option at checkout for eBay buyers.

You do not need to take any action at this time. The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey.

Over the past three years, eBay has transformed its business to drive the best choice, most relevance and most powerful selling platform. Building out our payments capabilities is the next step in that strategy.

Payments intermediation will bring significant benefits for eBay sellers. You can expect a simplified pricing structure, more predictable access to funds, and most sellers can expect their costs of payments processing to be reduced. We’re also working on ways to provide sellers a central place to track and manage their business, which can soon include payments information.

By offering buyers more choice in how they pay and expanding payment options into more geographies, eBay believes sellers will be able to reach more buyers and improve conversion.

The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey. eBay will begin intermediation on a small scale in North America starting in the second half of 2018, expanding in 2019 under the terms of the Operating Agreement with PayPal. In 2021, we expect to have transitioned a majority of Marketplace customers to the new payments experience.

Again, you do not need to take any action at this time. As eBay gets closer to the initial phase of its intermediation efforts, we will share more details about this process and next steps for sellers. In the meantime, please read the eBay Inc announcement for further information. For any immediate questions or to share feedback, please email paymentsinfouk@ebay.com.

We’re looking forward to what’s next, and to getting there with you.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5508
    Makes you wonder why they didn't just improve PayPal while they still directly owned it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3376
    Seems like a way to govern and control your money to me. They presumably have rights to hold and suspended any and all monies through their platform?  
    I think this will be the end of me selling on eBay 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • :/ :/ grungebob said:
    Seems like a way to govern and control your money to me. They presumably have rights to hold and suspended any and all monies through their platform?  

Me too. I think they have maybe made a huge mistake here. The thing is, Paypal is known and respected world-wide for being a safe and secure way of paying for goods online, while this new Dutch mob are much smaller and pretty much an unknown entity. People have become used to paying for stuff directly with Paypal from an eBay listing. eBay's contention that it will make for a smoother checking out experience because you are not going off-site is nonsense. With modern broadband and server speeds, and with one-click payment turned on, making a Paypal payment for any eBay purchase is seamless now. You wouldn't even realise that you were going off-site to make the payment unless you were really paying attention. I buy pretty much every day, and it never even occurs to me that that is what's happening.

I think a lot of people will be reluctant to set up yet another payment account with all their banking details, when they will have been perfectly happy for many years with the service and security that Paypal has offered them ... 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I wonder what proportion of PayPal’s overall revenue is generated through eBay transactions? I’m guessing an awful lot of it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31919
    Maybe it's because everyone else takes PayPal these days? Years ago if I sold something on eBay via PayPal I'd pretty much have to spend my sellers fee through eBay too, effectively doubling their transactions. 

Nowadays I can spend it anywhere pretty much. 
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    Sounds like another way of charging extra fees to me..
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    p90fool said:
    Maybe it's because everyone else takes PayPal these days? Years ago if I sold something on eBay via PayPal I'd pretty much have to spend my sellers fee through eBay too, effectively doubling their transactions. 

I’ve been using eBay for the best part of 15 years and can’t ever remember not being able to withdraw the funds?
  • "The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey."

= corporate wank-speak for "It will take us several years to get this right. In the meantime, expect hassle."
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    Maybe they're doing an experiment in how to lose the most customers in the quickest way?
  • I would expect this is a commercial decision to make eBay more money. Adyen looks to be a competitor to WorldPay, but I suspect eBay have got a better deal with Adyen.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11734
    tFB Trader
    paypal have also made announcements that you will be able to choose to spend your paypal money with a chosen bank card, or at least that is how I read it.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• BRISTOL86 said:
    p90fool said:

I’ve been using eBay for the best part of 15 years and can’t ever remember not being able to withdraw the funds?
    Your account musn’t be linked to the joint account that can be seen by the Mrs like mine is
  • Oh great, eBay getting themselves even more control of your money than they had already. Can’t see that being a problem at all...

Me too. I think they have maybe made a huge mistake here. The thing is, Paypal is known and respected world-wide for being a safe and secure way of paying for goods online, while this new Dutch mob are much smaller and pretty much an unknown entity. People have become used to paying for stuff directly with Paypal from an eBay listing. eBay's contention that it will make for a smoother checking out experience because you are not going off-site is nonsense. With modern broadband and server speeds, and with one-click payment turned on, making a Paypal payment for any eBay purchase is seamless now. You wouldn't even realise that you were going off-site to make the payment unless you were really paying attention. I buy pretty much every day, and it never even occurs to me that that is what's happening.

I think a lot of people will be reluctant to set up yet another payment account with all their banking details, when they will have been perfectly happy for many years with the service and security that Paypal has offered them ... 
    Adyen are not an unknown quantity. Booked a cab through Uber recently? You've used Adyen. Netflix? Ayden. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/08/adyen-company-behind-facebook-and-uber-payments-reveals-huge-transaction-growth.html

$90 billion in transaction volume is obviously a long way behind Paypal with $354 billion in 2016 but it's a start. A genuine competitor to Paypal is a good thing. 

Me too. I think they have maybe made a huge mistake here. The thing is, Paypal is known and respected world-wide for being a safe and secure way of paying for goods online, while this new Dutch mob are much smaller and pretty much an unknown entity.
    Adyen are not an unknown quantity. Booked a cab through Uber recently? You've used Adyen. Netflix? Ayden. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/08/adyen-company-behind-facebook-and-uber-payments-reveals-huge-transaction-growth.html

$90 billion in transaction volume is obviously a long way behind Paypal with $354 billion in 2016 but it's a start. A genuine competitor to Paypal is a good thing. 

I don't book cabs and don't use Netflix directly, so no, I haven't done either ... 

It is the experience of my long life that competition is not always a good thing. Contrary to what the government of the day thought, privatising utility services and then giving them all free rein to try and out-do one another through 'competition', has not worked out well for most of us on the receiving end of the results.

Of course, I wouldn't dispute that any company with a turnover in the billions was not a major player, but I still think that if you did a survey across a wide spectrum of eBay users, only a small proportion of them would have heard of Ayden and be happy that the payment service they had used and trusted during the growth of eBay from a fledgling company to the global entity that it is now, was going to be side-lined in favour of them ...

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    'Ere @Arfa_Daily. You only joined yesterday and your only comments are on this Paypal thread so...

Any jobs going in your Paypal Social Media Management team?
  • I don't book cabs and don't use Netflix directly, so no, I haven't done either ... 

It is the experience of my long life that competition is not always a good thing. Contrary to what the government of the day thought, privatising utility services and then giving them all free rein to try and out-do one another through 'competition', has not worked out well for most of us on the receiving end of the results.

Of course, I wouldn't dispute that any company with a turnover in the billions was not a major player, but I still think that if you did a survey across a wide spectrum of eBay users, only a small proportion of them would have heard of Ayden and be happy that the payment service they had used and trusted during the growth of eBay from a fledgling company to the global entity that it is now, was going to be side-lined in favour of them ...

It was more of a wide-ranging 'you' than a specific you, as I have no idea who you are. 

Privatising utility services has indeed been highly problematical. We're not talking former state utilities here though so the relevance is questionable. 

Remember this: the growth of Ebay featured the development of Paypal. Whilst Ebay was growing, problems with Paypal were absolutely bloody rife. The shitty publicity Paypal got didn't stunt the growth of what is now two massive companies. Clearly users decided to trust Paypal despite an awful lot of shitty coverage due to payments withheld, accounts suspended etc. There's also the small matter of Ebay being a hotbed of fraud, tax dodging, and generally fuckery for years. Didn't harm the growth too much now, did it? 

I'm trying to find complaints about the service Ayden provide and can't really find any by comparison. 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31919
    BRISTOL86 said:
    p90fool said:

Mine isn't linked to a bank account, and never will be. 
    p90fool said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    p90fool said:

Mine isn't linked to a bank account, and never will be. 
    Ah. That’ll explain it.