Tubescreamers full-size or mini ?

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 914
I’ve never played a ts808. Was wondering will the mini version stack up against a ts808. Also how good is the keeley modded version of the ts808.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Get the biggest one you can 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28668
    Daved756 said:
    Get the biggest one you can 
    That's s Maxim for life.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72610
    All Tube Screamers sound the same to a high degree of approximation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9737
    Sporky said:
    Daved756 said:
    That's s Maxon for life.
    FTFY
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you get the baby ones, you can have 2 on your pedalboard which gives you more sounds. The punters aren't going to care whether 1 baby one sounds the same as the original kind.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    edited February 2018
    That Pedal Show did a comparison and decided the Mini was just as good as its big brother. I find all the Ibanez Mini pedals great - I use the delay and chorus all the time with the TS. Made in Japan, nice solid units, sound great. Just need a bit of chalk pen to mark the micro pot positions. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah that is the thing I find annoying with mini pedals - hard to dial in due to the smaller knobs.
    Daved756 said:
    Yeah that is the thing I find annoying with mini pedals - hard to dial in due to the smaller knobs.
    And they always pick the wrong one for the large one. It’s so universal I’ve started to wonder if it’s intentional for some reason I don’t understand.

On pretty much any pedal that changes level, it should be that one - since it’s the one you’re most likely to need to adjust quickly and accurately.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Someone needs to build a macro tubescreamer
    Someone needs to build a macro tubescreamer
    They already did - there’s a “hand wired” one, with all the components mounted on tag strips. 

Although rather ironically one of them is the JRC4558 chip - which according to some people is where the ‘magic’ is - a little mass-produced, machine-made device which contains more electronic components than the rest of the circuit :).

• ICBM said:

Although rather ironically one of them is the JRC4558 chip - which according to some people is where the ‘magic’ is - a little mass-produced, machine-made device which contains more electronic components than the rest of the circuit :).

A 50p op-amp chip is magic? Crazy.

Everyone knows you have to have the five quid Burr-Brown ones to get magic

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I got the Mini and it sounds great and was only £60. 
    english_bob said:

lol

Pretty much everything you need to know about the bullshit on TGP is there.

For what it's worth the bass response is controlled by the circuit - the cap and resistor to ground in the NFB loop of the first gain stage mostly - not the chip. The difference the chip makes is to the HF response because it's affected by the slew rate - and then, only when the gain is a long way up. The way most people seem to want to use a TS these days, with the level up and the gain low, the chip type is more or less irrelevant.

And the reason the JRC4558 sounds better at high gain levels is exactly because it's a low-quality chip with poor slew rate...

• ICBM said:
    english_bob said:

lol

Pretty much everything you need to know about the bullshit on TGP is there.

For what it's worth the bass response is controlled by the circuit - the cap and resistor to ground in the NFB loop of the first gain stage mostly - not the chip. The difference the chip makes is to the HF response because it's affected by the slew rate - and then, only when the gain is a long way up. The way most people seem to want to use a TS these days, with the level up and the gain low, the chip type is more or less irrelevant.

And the reason the JRC4558 sounds better at high gain levels is exactly because it's a low-quality chip with poor slew rate...

To be fair, it's about the cheapest, lowest maintenance TGP snake oil tonequest crackpipe fantasy I've seen.  

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• The mini sounds good, but the 808 reissue DOES sound different. I didn't want to believe it but it is just smoother on the midrange + has more low and high. its such a small difference but once you hear it you can't un-hear it.  
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    The mini sounds good, but the 808 reissue DOES sound different. I didn't want to believe it but it is just smoother on the midrange + has more low and high. its such a small difference but once you hear it you can't un-hear it.  
    That’s probably because it’s properly buffered rather than true bypass... which is about the only difference in any of them that really matters.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    In the days when I used pedals my choice was made based on size. I reasoned that I was more likely to hit the larger pedal on a dark stage. You can get more mini pedals on a small board, but give yourself more of a problem in hitting the right one in a hurry.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    edited February 2018
    ICBM said:
    The mini sounds good, but the 808 reissue DOES sound different. I didn't want to believe it but it is just smoother on the midrange + has more low and high. its such a small difference but once you hear it you can't un-hear it.  
    That’s probably because it’s properly buffered rather than true bypass... which is about the only difference in any of them that really matters.
    Sounds like I’d prefer the mini then. The way I use one less low end is preferable. I’ve had a go on a mini and I thought it sounded decent. Never tried any of the fancy higher end ones, unless the Visual Sound Route 66 one counts.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2316
    Daved756 said:
    Sporky said:
    Daved756 said:
    That's s Maxim for life.
    Or a Maxon - this one is a TS that blends in clean signal at the bottom of the Drive control range: