Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Naked nymphs removed from Manchester art gallery

What's Hot
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42904024

Apparently it’s not censorship; a representative says it’s raising questions about how art should be displayed... As far as I’m aware it’s normally displayed by hanging it on a wall in a gallery. I really can’t think of any real variations.

Also, If it’s not censorship then why remove the postcards from the gallery shop? Unless, perhaps you can ask for ‘something stronger’ from under the counter ;-)

I suspect the curator has an agenda. What say you?
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Personally I’m sick and tired of people telling me what is and isn’t acceptable. There are many good things about my city - but this isn’t one of them....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72719
    Ridiculous.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• "Tricky issues about gender...".

Er, both are represented in the painting.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • "And it's not about saying these things can't exist in a public gallery - it's about saying, maybe we just need to challenge the way these paintings have been read and enable them to speak in a different way."

Link to my trading feedback
  • ICBM said:
    Ridiculous.

Yup - what has actually happened to this generation that they can't deal with anything in any way challenging to their view of the world? Did I miss a meeting or something because to me this all seems to be manufactured outrage over nothing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    edited February 2018
    It's pretty ridiculous, but at least they've given the public the opportunity to offer an opinion on what they've done.

Personally, I'm for how Warner Brothers have done it with Tom and Jerry. They haven't edited them at all, just put the following text before each cartoon:

“Tom and Jerry shorts may depict some ethnic and racial prejudices that were once commonplace in American society,” the disclaimer states. “Such depictions were wrong then and are wrong today.”
    People can make up their own mind without cutting up cultural icons.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    it don't matter to me if this is censorship, some sort of political statement, trying to raise awareness of some sort of issue or something else I've not thought of..
    it's just plain stupid...

I think too many people make or try to make far too much out of far too little..
    the world is not without it's problems..
    but this thing with the painting, girls at darts matches and F1 races is not exactly up at the top of the serious stuff to sort out list
    seems that too many folks are making hobbies and careers out of being outraged
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6222
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Ridiculous.

Yup - what has actually happened to this generation that they can't deal with anything in any way challenging to their view of the world? Did I miss a meeting or something because to me this all seems to be manufactured outrage over nothing.

why do you assume its someone from this generation?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15644
    you will conform. resistance is futile.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I think it's a good idea.
    It will stop men getting uncontrollably aroused and women won't be subject to crippling attacks of 'the vapours'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    "And it's not about saying these things can't exist in a public gallery - it's about saying, maybe we just need to challenge the way these paintings have been read and enable them to speak in a different way."

How are they going to do that if the paintings aren't on show?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    "And it's not about saying these things can't exist in a public gallery - it's about saying, maybe we just need to challenge the way these paintings have been read and enable them to speak in a different way."

How are they going to do that if the paintings aren't on show?
    They’re speaking in a muffled way from inside the store room....
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7964
    edited February 2018
    This has been all over my Facebook feed for a while now.  An artist I know was there on the day it was removed...

To be honest at first I expected it to just be a publicity stunt type of thing, it's clearly evolved in to a bigger debate now.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    And all the great works of art that Hitler confiscated should now be destroyed because they are tained!

This discussion immediatly moved away from the 'me too' or modern  view of feminism to one of censorship and art - the two seem quite quite different, or is it just me.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6120
    VimFuego said:
    you will conform. resistance is futile.
    It's starting to seem that way. When people are sleeping in the streets it verges on tasteless to obsess over a painting in this way. Are we not allowed to admire the young female form anymore? It's one of nature's highlights.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Thank goodness that we have men in suits to think for us. Before you know it Artists with think they can be radical and edgy. I hope they have replaced it with something nice like a Maeve Binchy book cover.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2422
    This demonstrates that some numptees think they know better than everyone else. The painting had never caused issues before, so why now? And this ‘not censoring but reimagining’ rubbish might as well by synonymous with ‘we want you to think like we do’. Utter nonsense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12448
    ICBM said:
    Ridiculous.

I don’t think it’s to do with anyone from a particular generation. If you want to see naked people it’s never been easier than now, just click a few buttons on your phone or tap your tablet. This is all about someone wanting to be seen to be morally superior and/or wanting to take offence on the public's behalf. It is indeed ridiculous... I thought we’d left all this moral outrage over public art behind, in the Victorian era.  
  • Dress all wimmin up in burqas! Stab with pitchforks and burn anyone who looks remotely attractive!

FFS!!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72719
    boogieman said:

I thought we’d left all this moral outrage over public art behind, in the Victorian era.  
    Which is, ironically, when the painting in question was painted...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein