iPad users... what do you need to get the best from them?

What's Hot
camfcamf Frets: 1199
I’m thinking of going back to using an iPad for writing on the move since my old MacBook Air has reached the end of its working life and, crucially, can’t work Dropbox for me anymore. 

The new iPad 2017 seems like a good value option so I’m wondering if anyone one in here is using one for longer pieces of writing? Do you recommend a keyboard cover, a Bluetooth keyboard or have any other suggestions?

Sorry for such a dull question. :)

cam f

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3410
    Fingers. And WiFi.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    PC_Dave said:
    Fingers. And WiFi.
    Don’t forget eyesight. Without that its folly. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Electricity is helpful.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited February 2018
    Get a decent case/cover - as someone who dropped and completely smashed the screen of a 2 day old iPad recently I can confirm that it is a profoundly upsetting experience 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27943
    I've tried a few of the keyboard / case combos, and never got on with any of them.  The keyboards tend to be compromised with poor key travel and/or layout so that the whole thing doesn't become too large or heavy.

OK for typing quick emails, but then so is the on screen keyboard.

If I'm going to be writing anything substantial on the iPad, I use a separate BT keyboard (the Apple one).  Its worth the extra hassl eof carrying it for the quality.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1199
    Thanks @TTony and @BloodEagle, useful points. The rest of you... straight to your beds and no ice cream or TV for you, you scamps!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2853
    Use the dictation tools, e.g. Siri, or even Dragon app

both very good at learning your voice
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2099
    Get a decent case/cover - as someone who dropped and completely smashed the screen of a 2 day old iPad recently I can confirm that it is a proudly upsetting experience 
    Need....  I had a decent cover and dropped it...still landed on the corner and smash screen...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    Yeah, @TTony is about on the money. I have a new iPad Pro, the biggun, and love it. The keyboard does work (I went for the Logitech one) and for home use it’s replaced my laptop entirely. 

Thing is, it’s not a laptop replacement, if you see what I mean. I write code for a living and the minimum I can tolerate doing a day’s work on is a Lenovo laptop. They really do have excellent keyboards, better than any MacBook for me. 

Best set thing is to try out and see what you like. 
  • I have the latest Pro 10.5 w/ Apple Keyboard and Pencil, its a pricey set up but I pretty much don’t use anything else now.. music creation, photo editing and all the usual stuff. I get on well with the keyboard, yes it isn’t as good as my (I say my but its more the wife’s now since I got the iPad Pro) but its very usable.

apart from the Pro, KB and Pencil I have(and need) the lightning USB adapter and iCloud storage
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    Impossible for a touch typist to use the keyboard on an iPad for typing lots do text. You need a real keyboard for that.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Yep, thinking about a New iPad 2017, Bluetooth keyboard and a Griffin case. Probably. Pending further research. And what’s cheap. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3376
    I just use the standard Apple magic keyboard, it’s the short Bluetooth one without direction arrows etc. Bit of a pain not having home and end buttons but you get used to just touching the screen to sort that bit out. Decent case with stand for the iPad and a protective sleeve that the case and keyboard slide into. 
  • For writing, drop box and not much else don't bother. Get a cheap, lightweight laptop. It'll cost a lot less and do the job better than an iPad with a keyboard. The only bad thing would be the screen not being as nice - but if you're only writing, you won't need a qhd display.
  • I absolutely love my 10.5" Pro, but honestly writing would be the one thing I really don't like using it for. YMMV
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    It’s the battery life of a tablet that appeals. It still seems double what you get on a laptop do you end up with laptop and charger and the weight and space jumps up - and having to be near a power supply. No? 
  • Get the ‘Paper’ app and the Apple Pencil.

Truly amazing.
  • Have you not thought about a high end laptop? I have a new asus and it's got a 12 hour battery life , aluminium body and is light , I'll never go back to a tablet again they're too vulnerable, I dropped my surface pro about a ft and it smashed the screen.
    Have you not thought about a high end laptop? I have a new asus and it's got a 12 hour battery life , aluminium body and is light , I'll never go back to a tablet again they're too vulnerable, I dropped my surface pro about a ft and it smashed the screen.
    I’ll look into this. I hadn’t realised battery life was so good on laptops. I’ve used laptops for years and previously dumped an iPad to go back to a MacBook Air. I was hoping that tablet development had moved in to at least be worth considering. I need to go and have a look at the current iPads and a further ponder. I’m really appreciating all this feedback though. It’s brilliant (mainly!)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I have access to three iPads (personal and business) and do a lot of typing. I have the Apple Wireless Keyboard which is ace - it connects via Bluetooth - and a stand. It all fits in a small bag.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!