Zoom G3X to G3n Patch Compatibility

NomadNomad Frets: 549

I'm considering getting a Zoom G3n for my pedalboard, and using the existing G3X for desktop noodling. I've found that I don't use the expression pedal on the G3X, and the extra scroll buttons on the G3n look handy.

Assuming I can transfer the G3X patches to the computer via USB, will they be compatible if I then send them to the G3n? I only have about four patches, so no big deal to recreate them manually, but it would be good to know if it can be done. Also, I don't use any amp/cab sims (on the pedalboard, the G3X is just used for compression, EQ and a couple of modulation effects).

Nomad
Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Assuming that you aren't using any pedals that aren't in the G3n and they haven't changed the patch format, you might be able to get away with exporting the patch in the edit and share software and then edit the resulting file in a text editor which is standard xml.

I think you probably just have to change the file extension and the product name.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

The patch format has changed - it's now a binary file of some sort, so I think patch export/import is out.

The guitar Lab software seems a bit below par from the short look I had at it (mainly to make copies of the supplied patches). I didn't see any patch editing stuff like in Edit&SHare - it just seems to be a thing for moving patches around.

Of the effects that I use, I found that the parametric EQ is now only 1-band instead of 2-band, which means I have some work to do to duplicate my G3X EQ settings (it's mainly a multi-sound EQ pedal in the loop), On the plus side, the graphic EQ has a more usable range of frequencies at the top and bottom, and now occupies two positions, meaning it has two buttons. The second button is an A/B between two sets of settings on the one pedal. So, I can probably sort out a similar EQ setup by alternative means. I also noticed the TheVibe has less settings than before.

The main difference with how the effects are handled is that each has four knobs, and any that need more spill over into a second position. Not an effect slot, I believe - I think it's just representing some pedals as wider, but I could be wrong. I noticed that cabs are now in a separate slot rather than a parameter in the amp slot.

Overall, I get the impression that they're similar systems, but with no real compatibility. The G3n seems to sound good so far, but I'm not using amp models or anything fancy - just compression, EQ and TheVibe. Feels clean, clear and dynamic.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• I have the G3Xn and I have to say its pretty impressive... needs some tweaking and getting used to though but its a great all in one,, and one of the best acoustic simulators I have heard, especially with the LMT-76 on with it.