What a pissworm day. Cat content.

Still recovering from my traumatic experience at the barbers, I spent most of the night with the shits, so this morning, knackered with a sore asshole and feeling sorry for myself I called in sick. 

Thats -£60 on next months paycheck. But fuck it. 

So 9:30 this morning I go down stairs to get some breakfast and a cuppa and theres no bounding kitty rushing out to raid the food cupboard. Very odd indeed. 

I go in the front where he is just laying down looking miserable as sin. Instantly knew he wasnt right, so I try to perk him up by showing him his bowl (which was still half full from last night, even odder for this eating machine!). No joy.. 

Never seen him so lethargic and uninterested. When stroking him his purring was odd too, crackly and deep like a fuzz box compared to his usual smooth overdriven rumbles. 

So I try getting him on his feet and getting him moving, which reluctantly he did and began walking but looking unsteady and lame.

So off to get his carrier from the shed. 
Get to the shed, no carrier. 

Call sister, sisters lent it out. 
Bollocks. 

Sisters out with boyfriend at a shindig til afternoon. 
Double bollocks. 

No other boxes around to fit him. 
I ran through the scenario of me wrapping him in a towel and taking him up the vets on my own, but the scenario ended with him freaking out in the car or getting unpredictable around possible dogs.. 

So anyway by now its afternoon and my sisters on her way home early collecting the carrier en route. 

Would you believe how ‘better’ he became when trying to get him in that thing lol!! 

So by this time its 5pm and the only vets available are 24hr ones, which out of 4, 3 have pretty crappy reviews on the web. 

The fourth is a vets practice inside pets at home which also happened to be the closest. Call them up and they said come in for 9:30pm, but we don’t have any actual appointments til midnight... 

Er, ok.. 

Get there at 9:30 and the place is barren. One doggie to be seen and thats it. So we were in pretty quick. 

Anyway the vet checked him out, didnt exactly know what was wrong, but his temperature was way up and it was obvious how lethargic he was being. 

They bring out the form, say he needs to stay in, have fluids, bloods and meds for an approximate quote of £300-£350.
He’s insured for £2k so the money isnt an issue as long as it doesnt exceed that.. in the interim the family is gonna help the initial payment of it while we wait to claim it back on the insurance. 

To be honest I’m not exactly filled with confidence. I dont exactly know why. 

So he’s been kept in tonight on fluids, and given a blood test which has  indicated theres an infection/inflammation in or nearby his liver.. Apparantly the organs are all too close together there to accurately pinpoint which organ has this infection or inflammation, but he expreses pain in that region too, so pain relief was also given. So far tonight they’ve said his temperature has dropped but very slowly and not enough yet. 

In the morning they’ll check his temperature and if no better will do an ultrasound of the abdomen to further investigate. 

Im hoping the meds clear up the problem and his temp returns to normal.

Kind of worried, I mean this place on google had the better reviews. I just hope they know what theyre doing.

In the meantime, its weird. Only the second time in 10 years that he’s been away from home. 
You pet owners probably know the feeling, but you start jumping to worst case scenarios and fear not seeing them again... 

Sucky day!

The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4324

Sorry to hear about your cat.

At least he's in the right place to get himself sorted out. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious and he's back doing catlike things ASAP.

All the best.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ughhh - hope he’s ok....
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Bless him, here’s hoping for a speedy recovery for the little chap. Absolutely horrible when a pet isn’t well, helpless feeling. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2442
    Sorry to hear that - as someone who's gone through a lot of 'cat stress' this past month (see my thread) I know how you feel.

If it's any consolation, one of the cats had a similar sounding thing - lethargic, couldn't stand up etc., and turns out he had a urinary tract infection. Stayed in the vets for 2 days, and was fine afterwards.

Who's your insurance - animalfriends by any chance?
  • Best wishes to you and the litle furry one
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
    Sorry to hear about your cat. The reason, I suspect, they said they didn't have any appointments til 12 would be because they probably reserve a chunk of time for any emergencies coming in. 

What was the name of the vets? Our local Pets at Home as a "Companion Care" vets, which we use for our Springer and cannot say enough good things about it. Their service is beyond exceptional whenever we go. 
  • Have has no issues with Vets at home. Have three dogs who have all been in for various reasons.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    We've used Companion Care vets at our local Pet at Home.
    They were and are still excellent. 

I hope this works out for you and little fella soon.