Involved in a hit & run..

What's Hot
Before we start, I didnt run anyone over, and no one was on foot.. lol. 

I have an entertaining dashcam video of the entire event, but as the police are still investigating etc, I dont know if I should put it on youtube just yet.. 

So to set the scene, I was 5 minutes from home (somewhere in greater London), driving to the shopping centre. It was about 6 or so pm, dark, miserable and cold. 

I turned right at a mini roundabout and joined a road which had 2 lanes. One for me, one for oncoming traffic. 

100 yards into this road and I pass a stationary paddywagon on my left parked on the sidewalk next to the housing estate I’d just passed.

A few yards later I stop to let another police car out of the estates entrance. 

I travel a few more yards down the road and stack up behind some 20 odd cars infront of me waiting in a queue for the lights a bit further down. 

The traffic in the incoming lane is flowing ok. Its just a regular road, no central divider or anything, pretty narrow, only room enough for 2 cars wide kerb to kerb.

While I’m waiting I’ve got Blackened Sunrise by Viking Skull blasting out and I’m feeling dandy!

At this moment I’d been stationary a little while, so I happened to look in my rear view mirror to see a pair of headlights approaching behind.. 

I say approaching, when in reality it was overly fucking obvious he was speeding at me and although it was dark and all I could see were 2 bright lights, I could tell there was slim chance of him stopping in time.. 

This all happened in a split second and I didnt even have time to think to brace, my eyes were fixed on my rear view and I remember thinking ‘fuck me!’. 

I saw him swerve last second around me into the oncoming traffics lane, but not early enough, and he hit my rear quarter, shot down the side of me snapping my drivers side mirror forward and catching my front quarter  above the wheel arch. 

He didnt slow at all as he swerved left as oncoming traffic swerved to avoid him. He missed the shitheap infront of me but then hit a Mini beyond the shitheap in the same fashion as he hit me, this time ramming harder into it as a fucking oncoming bus was forced to stop to avoid him. 

He continued off down the road splitting the traffic. 

This all happened in like 3 seconds. 
In the video above the noise you can hear me say ‘the fuck?!’, as I try to manoeuvre around the shitheap infront of me, but can’t because that incoming bus was now passing with traffic behind following it. 

At the moment the Mini driver swerved out and gave chase almost hitting another oncoming bus in the process. 

I was blocked in. So in the seconds that all this unfolded I put the handbrake on and ditched the car, running down the middle of the road through the traffic  like John fucking Wick. 

To my disbelief I actually caught the guy up!! 
But to my greater disbelief he was just sat there cool as a cucumber, window down waiting for the lights to change.. 
As if he would smash up 2 cars and drive highly illegally into oncoming traffic to wait for a red light!!! 

Anyway I approached his suv and informed him that, although he may not have noticed, he had infact caused 2 incidents.
I definitely politely asked him to remove himself from his vehicle and produce his insurance details. 

Course he didnt, he began moving off so I backed up and turned to face my car which was now somewhere down the road still sat there with the engine on and the keys in the ignition.. 

I turn to look around briefly as I head back and he is gone. 

Its in this moment I actually hear what the driver just said to me... 

‘It was accident’ ‘It was accident’ 

What the actual fuck. 

So when I got home, and I went straight home, I review the footage, and as my car was still on when I went to have words with mr nascar, the entire thing was still being filmed by the dashcam.
 So I noticed that when I backed away from the bad guys car and began walking back, and obviously couldnt see the bad guy with my own eyes, he actually ducked out into a side road post haste, cutting more oncoming traffic up to do so. 

Remember that mini that initially gave chase? Yeah me too.. they obviously didnt want to get out when they got up behind this guys car, fair enough.. but in the footage I saw them chase this dude into the same side road! I couldnt see any of this at the time remember! 

Bollocks!! So I grab my keys and head back out to the spot in the hopes that the mini caught him and they were still there. 

I must have only been gone 5 minutes. 
But when I got back, nothing. 
I mean it was obvious this guy wasnt going to stop anyway, but hey, wishful thinking!

I spent half an hour scouring every driveway and hidey hole in the block that he turned into. I know the roads, and there was only 1 exit from that block that wouldnt lead this guy back out onto the road on which the incident happened. 

That 1 exit is guarded by a ‘no left turn camera’, like almost every junction around here is. Theres atleast 2 more of these traffic cameras on the ‘incident’ road.. who wants to bet none of them were working? 

The entire fiasco was loud, obvious and ridiculously hard to ignore. 
Atleast 7 vehicles witnessed the bangs and collisions, some oncoming, some sat infront and behind me. 
Of those 7, two were buses, one of which had a front row seat all laden with its onboard electric eyes. 

My thanks go out to the entire Zero amount of people who stopped, which theyre bloody required to do, unless the highway codes a work of fiction. 

Seriously, not one person even wound their window down to ask if I needed any help, or shout and call me a grunger wanker. All of them passed me as I was walking back to my car. Which I’m surprised wasnt nicked by an opportunist thief to be honest.  

Even those 2 cop cars I passed less than a minute earlier were long gone. 
Unbelievable eh! 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don’t think I can add much beyond to say I lolled at “mr nascar” :D 

I hope all gets sorted out!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Jesus that’s insane. Hope it all gets sorted out, sounds like there’s a lot more to work with than most incidents so hopefully Cole Trickle gets what’s coming to him!
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11878
    Hope your dashcam got some useful evidence, and that the police take it seriously.

I'm not sure of your relative builds, or if anyone was available to help, but I believe you would have been perfectly justified in bundling the guy out of his car and restraining him as a "citizens arrest" until plod arrived.  We do have some legal types here who would know this better than me...?

Mental note: buy a dashcam, can anyone suggest a good one for not too much dosh?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • For what it's worth, you're an excellent story teller. Very good read. 

Hope you get it sorted :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72640
    If you got his number, report him for potentially being drunk and driving without insurance - his driving and behaviour would justify both. The police will be much more interested - in fact I think they have to investigate - than just for some damage to a couple of cars.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • As he said "It was accident" I assume his accent was thick eastern european. You could probably get him dome on suspicion of having illegal aliens in the boot as well.

Sorry for your hassle, I hope the police nail the bastard.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30316
    Look man, I'm sorry but I was driving a stolen car. You can't really expect me to hang around for the rozzers.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    skunkwerx sounds like the beginnings of a good BBC Drama - write it up!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    celentium said:
    Blackened Sunrise \m/
    Great tune. Not heard it in a long time.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    Is this on top of your cat situation and whatever happened with your traumatic incident at the barbers and the shits @skunkwerx ?  Is your real name lucky : )
  • Grunger wanker!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3010
    Had a similar 'incident' myself yesterday. Was driving along - adhering to the zero tolerance speed limits btw - was blind sided from across the carriageway. I veered slightly and deflected the impact as much as I could but they didn't stop

F**king pigeons. Probably not even a British pigeon either, flying over here, bouncing off our windscreens .....   
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Grunger wanker!
    YES! My pain was for something! 

munckee said:
    Is this on top of your cat situation and whatever happened with your traumatic incident at the barbers and the shits @skunkwerx ?  Is your real name lucky : )
    Oh man, its been a hell of a week and its only Monday! 

This place is better than therapy though, you guys keep me chin up!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    The roads are like Mad Max these days. It’s a free for all and the cops don’t care.

We have this thing at a junction near me where cars play chicken: when the lights turn green the car at the front doesn’t move but waits until it turns red and then floors it.

At pedestrian crossings you are halfway across and cars accelerate at you.

Its chaos out there!
  • Definitely want to see the video!