Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who's "Southern"?

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Lynyrd Skynyrd?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    Sesh said:
    crunchman said:
    rlw said:
    crunchman said:
    zepp76 said:
    I'm in Southampton, it doesn't get much more south than that except the Isle of Wight! 

If you look at a map, the Lizard in Cornwall looks quite a lot further South.
    But that isn't in England so it doesn't count.

(as far as many are concerned, England stops at the Tamar)

Ok, Salcombe is still further South.
    Southampton has very little going for it. Please don't take our southiness away from us. 

To answer the orginal question: Sahfamtun. Dahn sahf. But not nearnear sahf bit @TTony mentioned.
    We don't tell northerners there's gash places down here, as far as they need to know its like biarritz and we are all rich...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Everyone knows "Southern" is the fried chicken you cook in the oven, while "Dixie" is what you only eat when pissed and "Kentucky" is closed. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23102
    axisus said:
    Lynyrd Skynyrd?
    I hope Neil Young will remember...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27689

Why did I ask?

>>>   This reason  <<<

And because, however we try to publicise these events, we inevitably get a load of "gah, how did I miss this" comments when it's too late and all the slots are gone!  

However, people here seem more than happy to share all sorts of details about themselves.  So I thought I'd ask for details and do a little pro-active marketing instead!

For those who have replied on this thread;
    @gubble @Lestratcaster ; @prowla @garthy @Philly_Q @proggy @munckee @grunfeld @Nikc @CHRISB50 ; @Matt_McG ; @Majorscale @dominic @HAL9000 ; @Handsome_Chris @kebabkid @MtB  ;@Grangousier ; @bob21 @siremoon @Neil @boogieman @MattBanshee @zepp76 ;

You're all well inside the catchment area.  And, as you'll see from the thread, there's now a handful of places left ...
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    Chandlers Ford - which is halfway between Winchester and Southampton on the M3. 

Moved here just just over ten years ago and much prefer it to Uxbridge, where I lived for 30+ years.  
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23102
    edited February 2018

@TTony I assumed that's where we were heading! 

Part of me would like to go, but I'd have nothing to contribute and I think I'd find it all a bit intimidating.  But thanks!

Philly_Q said:

Part of me would like to go, 

@Philly_Q ;
    That's the part that you should be listening to 
    ;)

Seriously, these meetups are about as friendly and - genuinely - unintimidating as it's possible to get.    That's what started them happening originally.  It was an opportunity for people to just play in some form with other musicians.

So, the session will just be  a bunch of like minded guys, some sitting around chatting about gear  & stuff, some plugging in and just noodling, some learning, some teaching, some jamming informally, some getting up and playing with other guitarists (and bassist, and drummer) because they get no other opportunity to do so, and some showing how bloody good there are - but not in a dick-waving way.

I'm not aware of anyone who's left any of the previous sessions saying or even thinking that they wished they'd not bothered.    Exactly the opposite, which is why we're trying to arrange more of them, in more locations and more frequently.

• NeilNeil Frets: 3640
    It does sound nice @TTony but Saturdays are never any good for me.

Visit Mum in the morning, look after grandchildren in the afternoon. 
  • Philly_Q said:

@TTony I assumed that's where we were heading! 

Part of me would like to go, but I'd have nothing to contribute and I think I'd find it all a bit intimidating.  But thanks!

Err, I sang at the Northampton one. Never sang in any way public before, struggled a bit but then @impmann stepped in to help me along. It was terrifyingly great fun. 
     What I'm trying to say is just go to one, they're great fun in a good atmosphere. You'll regret it if you don't!
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• FWIW, I'm going to the jam and have suggested two songs which I've played in public before, so I'm happy to sit out and let somebody else play them if it means somebody else gets a go. I'm also happy to play bass or sing rather than guitar, to play on other people's songs, or not play anything if there are too many people. I'm going for the event and to meet people. )
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

TTony said:
    DLM said:
    According to my latitude, I'm further south than anyone in this thread, but I'll always be northern within!
    Either way, you're still quite a distance from the SW corner of the M25
    ;)

@TTony This is true, but I've travelled fair distances to the meetups I've been to before – sometimes specifically! Unfortunately, there's no way I can make this particular date. :(
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I’d rather hold a tarantula, thanks though. 
    TTony said:
    Philly_Q said:

Part of me would like to go, 

@Philly_Q ;
    That's the part that you should be listening to 
    ;)

Seriously, these meetups are about as friendly and - genuinely - unintimidating as it's possible to get.    That's what started them happening originally.  It was an opportunity for people to just play in some form with other musicians.

So, the session will just be  a bunch of like minded guys, some sitting around chatting about gear  & stuff, some plugging in and just noodling, some learning, some teaching, some jamming informally, some getting up and playing with other guitarists (and bassist, and drummer) because they get no other opportunity to do so, and some showing how bloody good there are - but not in a dick-waving way.

I'm not aware of anyone who's left any of the previous sessions saying or even thinking that they wished they'd not bothered.    Exactly the opposite, which is why we're trying to arrange more of them, in more locations and more frequently.

This is where I am, when I joined the board and realised you did northern get togethers I thought "ooh I hope you don't do southern ones as I would have to not go."  I've never had a lesson,  played in a band or with anyone else or a backing track, and whilst I can convince myself when widdling I can play a bit I suspect I actually can't.

However f#ck it I'm in.  If you expect someone to turn up play the wrong bits at the wrong time and play it badly I'll have a go.

and @RobDavies @Sesh or @zepp76 I will be driving pastish your gaffs and will pick you up if you want to make ar5es of yourselves too.
    I need to add to that statement that missus munckee has not yet agreed and until I have her seal of approval its not official : )
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4947
    zepp76 said:
    I'm in Southampton, it doesn't get much more south than that except the Isle of Wight! 
    I've been to South Georgia...
    FWIW, I'm going to the jam and have suggested two songs which I've played in public before, so I'm happy to sit out and let somebody else play them if it means somebody else gets a go. I'm also happy to play bass or sing rather than guitar, to play on other people's songs, or not play anything if there are too many people. I'm going for the event and to meet people. )
    @Guitar_Slinger - I've put you on the list but as tbc.  We need the PPG thing doing to confirm.
    :)
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    5 miles inside Jcn 9
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2797
    Moi
    je suis dans the sud, en l’environs de Wokingham
    je ne sais pas pourquoi je parle avec le francaise, 
    mais il seemed un bon idee quand j’ai commence

munckee said:
    I need to add to that statement that missus munckee has not yet agreed and until I have her seal of approval its not official : )
    I took the correct path through the forest of dread killed the giant beast and answered the riddles of the old witch and as a result am allowed to go.  Am sending payment to @Bridgehouse as paypal is too techy for me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom