NAD Marshall DSL5

What's Hot
So about an hour ago I took delivery of this bad boy:

The new 2018 Marshall DSL5c with reverb.

I have been playing my 3 main guitars through it (Strat/Tele/LP) and its a massive upgrade on my old combo, the MG15R.

Cleans are more crisps and the low end is nicer and the reverb is very lush! I used to own the JCM2000 50 watt head and it reminds me of that, just a more back-friendly version.

Dirty is a lot more ballsier partly due to the "deep" button enabled, again much better than my old amp. The reduction switch on the back is very helpful too making it 1 watts if I don't want to piss the neighbours off, I get to turn the volume up quite a bit too to get the valves cooking.

Its not my "perfect" tone but it sure as hell is an improvement on what I had before. I'm very happy with it, and this is more than enough for my needs. I do private guitar lessons and this can handle most of the rock tones I need.

I wonder if I could use this for small gigs even as 5 watts packs a lot of punch. If I did do regular pub covers gigs say I'd probably get the 40 watt version.

All in all two thumbs from me!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Cool 8) Would the 20W be enough? I've got a 25/50W JCM900 combo and a Marshall clone 18W head. Sometimes I used to play the second half of pub rock gigs using the 18W clone out of the JCM900's speaker, just to make sure it still worked. Plenty loud enough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Might be, depending on how hard the drummer plays! But one lesson I learnt if you don't have a band van is get the lightest, quickest and easiest to transport amp you can!
  • True. I went for a 1x12 combo and gig bags with pockets. :) Car to stage in one trip!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448

5W might be enough depending on what type of gig it is.

If you have a decent PA to mic it, a 5W amp can definitely be enough.

Even unmic'ed you might get away with it.  I've played for a production at my daughters' school the last few years, and a couple of years ago they did We Will Rock You.  It wasn't loud as we couldn't drown out the kids, but the other guitarist used my 5W VHT Special 6 rather than drag his amp across London on the Tube.  Admittedly, that is the head version and was used with a cab with a Celestion G12 65.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Nice! Good to see the new DSL range going down well :) I reckon the 20 is loud enough for gigs, tried alongside my 2525C and it's about the same volume.
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited February 2018
    ttbz any sign of the origins leaving the factory soon ? 

not amused that dsl types are being purchased and i have a due april email from andertons iro my origin 20w head
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited February 2018
    ttbz any sign of the origins leaving the factory soon ? 

not amused that dsl types are being purchased and i have a due april email from andertons iro my origin 20w head
    Sorry mate I have no idea, not privy to that sort of info I'm afraid so wouldn't want to speculate. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    Nice! Good to see the new DSL range going down well :) I reckon the 20 is loud enough for gigs, tried alongside my 2525C and it's about the same volume.
    This is mainly going to be a home use amp to be fair, but was just curious if I could actually use it to play in a rehearsal room setting, or even more to the extreme, a gig! 

I originally wanted the DSL5 without the reverb but just as I sought out to get it they stopped shipping them so had to hold out for a long time for this series to be released. It cost a bit more than I thought but its worth it, also its strangely bigger than my old 15 watt one but its something to do with the speaker size I think.
  • Silly question but would the new DSL5 with the reverb be the exact same size as the old ones were? Planning to buy a cover for it but only the DSL5c is listed, I would think its the same size though.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Seems a bit weird that the 1-watt is available as a head and combo, the 20-watt is available as a head and combo, but the 5-watt is a combo only. :s
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Nice one.

It looks to have a couple of good upgrades from my 2 year old DSL 5C - the reverb for starters, but also the gain control on the Classic channel.

On the subject of covers, I am looking for one for mine but couldn't seem to find any. Where might I get a fitted cover for a DSL5?
  • I get mine from Hotcovers. They’re very good. Spoke to someone earlier and they reckon the measurements for the new DSL range should be the same. I’ve taken measurements on the amp though just to double check it fits their templates.

As for the gain control on the classic channel I haven’t messed with it much but haven’t noticed a difference it makes. Maybe I need to do more twiddling.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks!
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I have heard one of these used un-mic'd with a band in a small venue and it sounded excellent, and I say that as someone who is not a particular fan of the Marshall sound! As I recall, the drummer was sensible with his volume - a loud drummer (or indeed an immoderate second guitarist) would probably have drowned it out.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    edited February 2018
    andyp said:
    Thanks!
    Careful about ordering the listed DSL5c cover if you have the new DSL's! They've replied saying the measurements for the new one are slightly smaller.
    edited February 2018
    Mine is the old one. As it turns out, I had a look and those covers are a lot more heavy duty than I was thinking of. I don't actually need one so I'm not going to buy one after all. Thanks though. :)
  • Fair enough, I just get one so it protects it from dust and any occasional spills and knocks. They're going to make a custom fit one for me, once I get it will post up a pic!
    Nice one! That's pretty cool service.
  • Yeah I've bought 2 from them before and both times they've been excellent. Hoping that this custom fit one will be a nice snug fit and look sleek and professional.
  • Forgot to post up a photo of the cover, I ordered the canvas material instead of the PVC Vinyl I normally get but it still great, fits perfectly  =)