Laney L5-112 - mods?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• antifashantifash Frets: 603
    @DJH83004 Minefield. Now beginning to wonder if I should just leave it alone! Still got to bring the Cub to you too! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1644
    I wonder what you are hoping for? 

I dont mean that to sound like a sarcastic question, it’s just that if you like the sound of the amp why change anything? 

If it aint broke and all that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @shaunm All sorted mate. Don’t worry about me. Cheers. 
    antifash said:
    @shaunm All sorted mate. Don’t worry about me. Cheers. 
    I wasn’t meaning it in an arsey way. 

Ive made the mistake with guitars I loved. I thought they sounded brilliant so I thought it deserved an upgrade of pickups etc and I inadvertently made it sound worse whilst losing money. 

Lesson learned - if it sounds good and I like it, leave it alone.
    @shaunm No, I know. I probably had a few too many old fashioneds.... I think I just want to get the best out of the amp and I’m blighted by my own ignorance. Thankfully there are experts who I can entrust an opinion to here and am happy to give it a go. Guitars are different - but I know what you mean. Thankfully, all these changes are easily reversible, don’t cost too much, and are learning experiences. So then, I know I’ll be able to have some sort of an opinion if the question should ever arise. 

Yes, I do have a hangover. 

;)
    Just want to send a public thanks to @DJH83004 for restoring my Laneys into prime working condition and for keeping me updated all along the way. Fully recommend him as an amp repairman and very knowledgeable he is too! Thanks dude.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5441
    FWIW, I swapped out the stock valves in mine for a set of the Cryo valves from Watford Valves and it definitely brightened things up. Not glassy, but a lot brighter in general.  Current costs for a full set (pre-amp and power-amp) are less than the upper end of the single valve prices you're seeing on Ebay, so might be worth book-marking for future reference.

Having said that, it's currently got the original power valve back in, as the replacement threw a rather dramatic fit in January and had to be pulled at short notice. It's definitely not quite as loud on the original, and a little smoother.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @snags I had TAD valves in mine, and (apparently) this is a good thing!
    Ask @Van_Hayden as he has had a good look at my L20 recently and no doubt has some good ideas.
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Thank you for the very kind words Ash, yes you have a TAD 7025 Highgrade in position V1 of your L5, and the rest are TADs including a new EL84 STR. For a modern valve set I personally don't think you could get much better tone wise for the L5.