Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fuming

What's Hot
FosterFoster Frets: 1100
Third time i've had to restart this project....

task at work - find the postcodes for every site we've ever dealt with, want to populate a map. We have a simple database to log the company and site address, it's ancient but we keep filling it in.

So about 4,000ish sites to find postcodes for. Address can be as good as 'Topsoil', 'Miscellaneous', 'Poland', 'Phase 2' - how the hell am I meant to find the postcodes for them? I've also got to be accurate to 5 miles which is great, I'm sure i'll be that accurate when trying to find where abouts in Poland the samples came from!!!!

Google is about as useful as you expect Google to be - even ones where someone has put a sensible address it, such as Norton, Google is adamant that the site is in Canada...

Deadline is tomorrow, so far I have 30 sites done. Why the fuck do I have to go through thousands of entries because the people who should have put the data in are too fucking idle to do so?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I would sue for constructive dismissal...

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That’s the dictatorship of working for someone else. Of course some dictatorships are worse than others...
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 884
    Sometimes I wish my job was that simple.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4255
    Software developers' paradox:

1) force user to enter data correctly before submitting form - relentless complaints about 'unusable' system
    2) allow user to populate as they see fit - database full of absolute shit

Unfortunately you look to be the victim of system type 2.  From someone who's been there, good luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
    randella said:

1) force user to enter data correctly before submitting form - relentless complaints about 'unusable' system

Unfortunately you look to be the victim of system type 2.  From someone who's been there, good luck.
    This is my life. Every Day. 
  • joneve said:
    randella said:

Agree - you can't code round stupidity / laziness / general incompetence / fuckwitery :)

TBH I’d simply ignore anything without a postcode and if challenged on it I’d send them a report with those missing a post code and ask them to fix the data, outlining that it will auto add to the map once there is enough data to infer positioning information.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    joneve said:
    randella said:

Agree - you can't code round stupidity / laziness / general incompetence / fuckwitery :)

TBH I’d simply ignore anything without a postcode and if challenged on it I’d send them a report with those missing a post code and ask them to fix the data, outlining that it will auto add to the map once there is enough data to infer positioning information.

So send a blank database to head office. Head office want postcodes to populate a map of where we've tested, not a single one has a postcode attached.

I'm basically on the verge of smashing up the office
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4324

Shit in. Shit out.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Foster said:
    Head office want postcodes to populate a map of where we've tested, not a single one has a postcode attached.
    They want you to magic data out of nowhere? That could take some time ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • you cant make chicken soup outta chicken shit

• I would tender your immediate resignation and admit that the job is simply too much for you.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Foster said:

task at work - find the postcodes for every site we've ever dealt with, want to populate a map. We have a simple database to log the company and site address, it's ancient but we keep filling it in.

Hmmm any invoices or other paperwork? If they need the info that badly, it's worth trawling stuff like that...

• I would escalate the issue of missing data now so that you can manage expectations. In other words, at best they will only get a partly populated map tomorrow. Hopefully, this will make them reconsider their requirements or they will get users to fix the data and revise your deadline. If you leave until tomorrow to tell them, chances are you will get the blame despite others causing the problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    edited February 2018
    Foster said:
    I've also got to be accurate to 5 miles which is great, I'm sure i'll be that accurate when trying to find where abouts in Poland the samples came from!!!!

Deadline is tomorrow, so far I have 30 sites done.
    I am going to suggest that "5 miles" is a loose concept and accurate data can be obtained with judicious use of a big map and a set of darts. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Simply do what you can and advise your immediate superior that the missing data is as a result of sloppy work by others.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30314
    What are you doing on here, haven't you got work to be getting on with?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31663
    The only times I've ever been given "tasks" like that is when my position was being made redundant and they were just trying to fill my day.
    Be honest, that's not really anyone's actual job, is it? 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7849

Write a note explaining why the task cannot be completed.

Go to the pub.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Rocker said:
    Simply do what you can and advise your immediate superior that the missing data is as a result of sloppy work by others.  
    I did that yesterday when my boss rang me to see how it's going (as I'd emailed him about problems the day before). The deadline is my own fault as I gave it due to how I was originally working on it - then found out when you download a .kml from google they send you a file with all the data you have given them, no coordinates or postcodes...

attempt 2, use the data I put into google, jot down the coordinates one by one. Do about 300, test it by converting the coordinates to postcodes... Yeah, that wasn't happening. Utter dogs dinner of a mess.

Current attempt, go through each site individually and obtain the postcodes through internet searches - lots of fun when sites have been demolished or landfills covered over.

So i'm trying to stick to a deadline that I promised when I was working to Plan A, I'd love to get this pig of a job over with as I have other stuff I'd like to crack on with. It's alright giving me a 2 month extension but I want to see the back of the damn thing. If it's done badly then everytime I look at the results I'll know myself how bad the finished product is and that will piss me off.