FM radio strange behaviour

What's Hot
I have an "indoor aerial" plugged into a tuner. The aerial consists of a rather rude looking vertical plastic thing about 12" high mounted on a base out of which sprouts the coax you plug into the tuner, 2 wires with spade connectors (which you connect to the AM inputs if you have any), and the power supply lead. There is a little pot for adjusting signal strength. Tuned to R4 the pot does nothing (ie makes no difference to audio quality or volume) - probably because where I am the signal is plenty strong enough without needing to boost it but if you click the control off, you get noise behind the signal. Tuned to R3 you get loadsa noise almost obliterating the music, even when the signal strength leds on the tuner indicate max signal and the stereo led is also on, but if you nobble the frequency on the tuner until (i) the strength and stereo leds all go out (ii) the frequency indicator suggests you aren't tuned to R3 (or at least shouldn't be) you get audio that is crystal clear, but mono.

I don't get it. Does anyone else?
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4379
    No

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2489
    Check for "innocuous looking" van outside your property.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3119
    edited February 2018
    The alien invasion has begun. They take coms first apparently. They then start to attack th₹#_8$46* गजुर्रतु।  डकलsty865℅¥π ]]]]]]]●●● ....666.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4069
    Tuned to R3 you get loadsa noise almost obliterating the music...
    Are you sure that's not just R3's latest avant-garde offering?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    ...but if you nobble the frequency on the tuner until (i) the strength and stereo leds all go out (ii) the frequency indicator suggests you aren't tuned to R3 (or at least shouldn't be) you get audio that is crystal clear, but mono.

This sounds like typical stereo FM behaviour when there's interference or reflections or an otherwise bad signal for that particular station.

The signal strength isn't the problem in other words. (My guess.)

Try the aerial in a different place, say temporarily set the gear up upstairs (higher up), or close to a window...

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Get DAB.
    I never have trouble with that.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1984
    edited February 2018
    It'll be multipath or multiplex distortion - direct and indirect signals being picked up at the same time. The booster is boosting the weaker indirect signal and making matters worse.

FM stereo is transmitted using at least two signals multiplexed onto the RF Carrier (Mono and Stereo or Sum & Difference). 

These signals will be at different frequencies so it is possible to tune into the mono only part if the signal. The stereo part is usually lower level signal and is where the noise is introduced. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    Sounds like you need a better aerial. Is your tv signal a decent strength ? You might be able to split the coax lead from the tv aerial and use that for your tuner too
  • “They're he-ur”

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24677
    edited February 2018
    Sassafras said:
    Get DAB.
    I never have trouble with that.
    Surely you mea..... Get...B.  I.........trou...............that. ?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you @exocet and @Ravenous ... seems like I should get a feed from my rooftop VHF aerial: I already have a 4 way splitter that feeds 4 tuners on the 1st floor. If I replaced that with a 6-way, I could take a feed though the first floor into the ground floor where this kit is

btw lol@Grunfeld :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3215
    tFB Trader
    exocet said:
    It'll be multipath or multiplex distortion - direct and indirect signals being picked up at the same time. The booster is boosting the weaker indirect signal and making matters worse.

FM stereo is transmitted using at least two signals multiplexed onto the RF Carrier (Mono and Stereo or Sum & Difference). 

These signals will be at different frequencies so it is possible to tune into the mono only part if the signal. The stereo part is usually lower level signal and is where the noise is introduced. 

This.

My valve-tuner in the shop picks up two separate R2 signals, one around 89.5mcs and the other at 91mcs. Depending on the time of day one signal is stronger than the other although the higher one is mono only.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    Then the loud sound did seem to fade, came back like a slow voice on a wave of phase haze - that weren't no D.J. that was hazy cosmic jive!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • ESBlonde said:
    This wouldn't be anything to do with all the notices on TVs about needing to retune after the 7th February would it? Could just be a coincidence.
    I have no idea mate. The TVs are all digital these days, aren't they? so isn't "re-tuning" just a case of switching to a different channel to get the broadcast you want?