Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

That John Mayer PRS Strat is about again...

What's Hot

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8573

My point was that PRS have built their brand on refined Gibson style guitars - i.e. set neck (for the most part), mahogany / maple cap / 3 a side headstock / humbuckers (much more than Single coils). A slightly lengthened scale length and a trem are really the only Fender nods.

Suhr, Anderson, Tyler etc. have largely built there brands on refined Fender types - yes there is a lot more cross-over these days but that's the core of the brands we are talking about.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1809
    edited February 2018
    ,I can’t see me wanting one from what I have seen so far.
    Was more excited by that 305.

I am a PRS fan boy always have been but for me I was hoping that the collaboration would be to perhaps elevate Mayers sound to the next level. A bit like Santana, he still sounds like Santana but not really the same sounds he had  say in 70/80’s.

but let’s wait till it done and we get a chance to play and hear it
  • dindude said:

My point was that PRS have built their brand on refined Gibson style guitars - i.e. set neck (for the most part), mahogany / maple cap / 3 a side headstock / humbuckers (much more than Single coils). A slightly lengthened scale length and a trem are really the only Fender nods.

Suhr, Anderson, Tyler etc. have largely built there brands on refined Fender types - yes there is a lot more cross-over these days but that's the core of the brands we are talking about.

Right but you're only viewing it from a Mayer angle.

Paul clearly likes classic guitars in general.  Mayer could have worked with whoever he wanted in all likelihood, he is a huge artist.  To me it's as likely they both wanted to work with each other and PRS probably do see a gap in their lineup for F style guitars.... signatures tend to turn up as SE's these days which for all intents and purposes sell very well.

Anyway as for sticking to what a builder is known for diversifying worked out for this tractor company.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Thinking about it, this PRS "Strat" is the pretty much the exact (but opposite) debate / dilemma as the new Suhr "Les Paul" - basically the world really doesn't need either, so file under "for Brand loyalists only"..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Anyone remember Aria Pro II The Cat from the 80’s, reminds me a bit of that.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/517327-80-s-aria-pro-ii-the-cat-electric-guitar
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited February 2018
    So Fender (Squier) apparently made these.  Some info here -  https://www.ishibashi.co.jp/report/namm2002/squier-series24.htm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31919
    dindude said:
    Thinking about it, this PRS "Strat" is the pretty much the exact (but opposite) debate / dilemma as the new Suhr "Les Paul" - basically the world really doesn't need either, so file under "for Brand loyalists only"..
    You're right, it is effectively a marketing mirror image of the Suhr.

It is fun to mix things up sometimes though, I have a soft spot for the Gibson Victory for example, but they didn't sell many. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    Anyone remember Aria Pro II The Cat from the 80’s, reminds me a bit of that.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/517327-80-s-aria-pro-ii-the-cat-electric-guitar
    So Fender (Squier) apparently made these.  Some info here -  https://www.ishibashi.co.jp/report/namm2002/squier-series24.htm

crikey  - both rave from the grave - I've possibly forgot more than I ever knew !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Looks like a dealer has leaked the specs: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.octavemusicstore.com/products/prs-silver-sky-john-mayer-s-signature-model-frost&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

Weirdest thing is the radius! Just noticed how different the headstock is to the normal PRS one too.

• Those specs don’t inspire me, for my tastes. The reverse headstock is a bit weird. I’m surprised, PRS had a real opportunity to bring it into the 21st century and instead opted for vintage. Not wrong but I think I prefer Suhr’s take...then, I’ve not played the PRS so shouldn’t slam it before saying that, really.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JEPBLEPJEPBLEP Frets: 188
    Looks like a dealer has leaked the specs: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.octavemusicstore.com/products/prs-silver-sky-john-mayer-s-signature-model-frost&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

Weirdest thing is the radius! Just noticed how different the headstock is to the normal PRS one too.

Man, I really wanted to love this. 
  • guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 387
    edited February 2018
    20th of march release date and $2300 apparently 

edit - just saw the specs :( aw 
  • I like it - pretty safe, barring the 7.25” radius, but given that they’ve tried a fair few more modern S-type designs before it’ll be nice to just see a simple take on a classic.
  • dindude said:

A prs is the middle ground of a fender and a Gibson. It's a guitar designed by numbers. It's scale length sits between fenders and Gibsons as does the radius. The shape is half Les Paul half strat. The vibrato system is a fender thing, it's no nod, it's a 6 screw fender system that's been modified.

It's not a refined Gibson 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23578
    edited February 2018
    I'm sure it's very well made, but all the "PRS features" - inlays, headstock, cutaway, similar-but-different scratchplate, knobs and hardware - make it look even more like a cheap Strat copy.

I know, everybody makes Strat copies.  But this is an ugly one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    Gorgeous colour and no question it will be a fabulous guitar with great build quality ... but for me a strat body with a 3 x 2 prs headstock just looks sooo wrong. Sorry, can't help it...I'm just a sad boring old school traditionalist.  :'(
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5508
    Weirdly backward-looking spec from a company that always prides itself on “innovation.”
    edited February 2018
    Whitecat said:
    Weirdly backward-looking spec from a company that always prides itself on “innovation.”
    But a strat is the sexiest curviest guitar on the planet...and sexiness never goes out of fashion! And older specs have stood the test of time and are on a tried and tested formula - so it doesn't mean they are any less relevant today!   
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    I qutie like that - especially the 7.25" radius.  I quite like the headstock as well.  What are the other colours?
    crunchman said:
    I qutie like that - especially the 7.25" radius.  I quite like the headstock as well.  What are the other colours?
    Oh 7.25" radius. I didn't see that..just a little too curvy for bends with a low action and 009 to 042''s so wouldn't suit me.