Anyone managed to lower their cholesterol?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
My cholesterol is high apparently. Every time I've had it checked it's high so I could do with trying to improve it. Currently 6.6

Anyone lowered theirs, or found any helpful resources?

Most websites I've visited have phrases like have unsaturated fat instead of saturated fat, raise your total low-density lipoprotein, Increase soluble fibre, Add whey protein, have plant sterols and stanols, have Eggplant and okra etc etc

Is there anywhere that speaks in plain English for thicko's like me!?!?

Incidentally I work with a guy who used to be a heart surgeon, he reckon's the whole Cholesterol thing is overplayed. He says that his has been 9 most of his life and he's never bothered reducing it. He also says that his mother's is high and she's 102 years old! He is adamant that I should not go onto Statins, thinks they are bad. I do want to try and reduce my level though. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I read somewhere that peanuts and baked beans can reduce cholesterol. Presumably you don't have to eat them together (but I guess you could if you wanted to).

My mum apparently has "high" cholesterol. Her GP concluded a few years ago that some people do naturally have higher levels than others and since whatever diet was suggested for her wasn't making any difference, there was no reason to worry about it. My mum is now 85 and quite healthy for a little old lady.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6831
    I have a good friend in Brussels who is an "eminent" cardiologist. My cholesterol levels have always been good and I have them checked every 6 months as I've had type 1 diabetes all my life. 

One time they were high, it was a blip but my consultant suggest I go on statins. I refused. When I spoke to my Belgian friend, he said that )a statins are bad, b) that cholesterol levels in the blood have little to do with diet and c) that they best way to bring them down and to increase heart strength was to take up regular activity, like sport, gym, cycling etc. 

I had a blood test last week and despite my cholesterol levels being really good, my new consultant suggested statins. I refused. I guess when you reach a certain age (I'm 54) the medics suggest statins de rigeur. 

10 years of side effects and drug dependancy seem like a stupid idea to me. I'm just going to stay keeping fit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    I started running, 25 mins, 3 times a week.
    Cholesterol and BP, both reduced.
     I don’t like the idea of statins either.
  • My dad's was fine until he retired and spent mornings driving around having fry-ups at different greasy spoons.  Before that, it was only at the weekends.

Doctor told him to either have porridge for breakfast or go on tablets.  He had porridge on weekdays and his cholesterol went back to an acceptable level.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4316
    edited February 2018
    8 months ago I was diagnosed with mild hypertension and elevated cholesterol  . Doc wanted to put me on statins and possibly heart tablets. I too refused and said give me a year and I'll try and get back in shape. I've been going to the gym two mornings a week and working hard, though I do hate it. I've lost about 5kg and i'm feeling fitter.

I have a checkup with the nurse next Monday to see if there's any improvement. I'd be surprised if there isn't but even so I'm not going to take statins, it appears that of you do long term you'll end up taking other tablets to combat the side effects. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    I've been told I'm borderline for needing statins, but i won't be taking them given the information available these days. All they do is make the Doctors and pharmaceutical companies rich and make you dependent it seems. the side effects are brushed aside but could be life altering!

Latest report I heard was that there is little correlation between heart attack and cholesterol, but the lack of exercise IS the key factor.
  • In the last few months I've been trying to improve my health. I've been doing regular excercise, eating sensibly, and I've cut right down on the booze. And in every metric I've used to do a before and after I've got worse.

Weight gone up

BMI gone up

Fat content gone up

FFS I might just switch back to Stella & Kebabs. Though to be fair my resting heart rate has reduced.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    edited February 2018
    My dad's was fine until he retired and spent mornings driving around having fry-ups at different greasy spoons.  Before that, it was only at the weekends.

Doctor told him to either have porridge for breakfast or go on tablets.  He had porridge on weekdays and his cholesterol went back to an acceptable level.

@Guitar_Slinger Cor, can I be best mates with your dad? I think we may have a common interest...

This is how I envisage our weekends looking...

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/31000000/Wilson-in-Everybody-Dies-dr-james-e-wilson-31012545-500-281.jpg

As for me, I was also advised to eat green beans and oats as an alternative to using drugs.

I'm not sure, but I think I'm doing it wrong...

http://nutritionfor.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/DSC_0821-1024x682.jpg

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4379
    axisus said:
    My cholesterol is high apparently. Every time I've had it checked it's high so I could do with trying to improve it. Currently 6.6

Anyone lowered theirs, or found any helpful resources?

Most websites I've visited have phrases like have unsaturated fat instead of saturated fat, raise your total low-density lipoprotein, Increase soluble fibre, Add whey protein, have plant sterols and stanols, have Eggplant and okra etc etc

Is there anywhere that speaks in plain English for thicko's like me!?!?

Incidentally I work with a guy who used to be a heart surgeon, he reckon's the whole Cholesterol thing is overplayed. He says that his has been 9 most of his life and he's never bothered reducing it. He also says that his mother's is high and she's 102 years old! He is adamant that I should not go onto Statins, thinks they are bad. I do want to try and reduce my level though. 

Surely a doctor told you? Therefore did they not make a suggestion? Or did you not ask?

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• @DLM how do you smoke them?? :o
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @Phil_aka_Pip I fry them usually, that's not my pic. I'd suggest using a (BBQ) smoker, but ain't got one of those (yet).
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    CHRISB50 said:

Surely a doctor told you? Therefore did they not make a suggestion? Or did you not ask?

Usual crap GP service these days. Dr sent me for blood tests, I was told to make a 'phone appointment' to discuss the results. As usual I got a locum who didn't know me from Adam. The main problem I have was something different, and the comment was 'well, I can't really say without examining you, get in touch again in a month if things haven't improved'. The cholesterol was a side issue and as I've been stressed about the other thing for a month I didn't really think to pursue ...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    My dad's was fine until he retired and spent mornings driving around having fry-ups at different greasy spoons.  Before that, it was only at the weekends.

GP told me oats are brilliant - like cholesterol vacuum cleaners.  Plant stanols help - I use Benecol Light spread and Flora Pro-Activ skimmed milk (bit pricey).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    GP told me oats are brilliant
    I'm sure most GPs like their oats
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    Jalapeno said:
    GP told me oats are brilliant
    I'm sure most GPs like their oats
    Badum and indeed 'Tish !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    less meat and booze, more veggies .
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Make a small cut in a finger, another in your toe. Pour Cillit Bang in and the muck will drain out.

I suggest standing in the shower.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    My Dad had high cholesterol from his 50s. After many years of drugs and the usual diets plus five years participation in various university studies taking other drugs and following the usual diets, they concluded that he was genetically pre-disposed to having high cholesterol.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • High cholesterol doesnt come from a high fat diet... read the studies... cholesterol levels fluctuate from day to day in most people... high carb diet causes inflammation.... inflammation causes cholesterol presence in arteries...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • High cholesterol doesnt come from a high fat diet... read the studies... cholesterol levels fluctuate from day to day in most people... high carb diet causes inflammation.... inflammation causes cholesterol presence in arteries...

I would agree with this, with "high carb" changed to "high junk carb", i.e. sugar. Humans can eat high fat or high carb, or moderate levels of both with no ill effects as long as they are "real food". Don't eat anything with "ingredients"; buy the ingredients and cook them.

Triglyceride number is the marker for heart attacks, not cholesterol. They normally go hand in hand due to poor lifestyle, but you can eat mainly steak every day, and you will have high cholesterol and low triglycerides.

My dad sorted his cholesterol and triglycerides in 3 months by cutting out sugar and reducing beer intake. His doctor says that almost never happens because people don't have the discipline to stick to it.

Shitty margarine with plant sterols in it is still shitty margarine and will still cause inflammation.

(not a doctor but well-read on the subject, feel free to ignore)
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.