Heart attacks don't discriminate.

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
I've just had the dreaded phone call from my best mates wife to say he has had a heart attack, I'm in complete shock as he is a lot more healthier and fitter than I am. Luckily he managed to get to a phone in time for the medical crew to save him. He has had a stent fitted and is doing ok so hopefully all will be well. It's a complete wake up call so be careful out there as it seems it could happen to anyone regardless of fitness.

Be well out there and stay safe.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hope it all goes well for him mate... send him our warmest and best
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 2 people at work have had heart attacks and died over the last 2 years. One was youngish (28?) and the other was 50's. Friends dad was a runner, marathons etc died of a heart attack at 53. Theres not a lot you can do to predict them .
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Been there, got the T shirt.  Thankfully I'm still here to type this.  Wish him a very personal all the best from me.

Doing the cardio rehab sessions (get fit, eat right etc) there was a guy in his mid 20s turned up one week, with all the gym kit on.  As you so rightly said, it really can happen to anyone !

PM me if there is anything I can do to help or support him (or anyone else in a similar predicament)

(My story linked here)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 2 people at work have had heart attacks and died over the last 2 years. One was youngish (28?) and the other was 50's. Friends dad was a runner, marathons etc died of a heart attack at 53. Theres not a lot you can do to predict them .
    There's an awful lot you can do to predict them but of course neither will give you 100% certainty.

Eat well, exercise, don't smoke, limit your drinking. The rest is up to (insert here what you do/don't believe in).

All the best to your mate @zepp76 ;
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    There’s no rhyme or reason behind heart problems it seems. My old father in law smoked heavily all his life and lived into his 80s. Meanwhile his son never smoked in his whole life, was a cross country runner who competed for GB and played badminton at a decent level up till his 50s. He died of a heart attack at 62. 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1252
    Where I regularly go mountainbiking, there is a memorial plaque for a 28 year old who died of a heart attack there.
    He went biking with 'just a cold' but the virus had obviously went in to his heart, and the strenuous effort was enough to cause heart failure. It's something I never knew about, but cold/flu viruses can infect your heart, which as long as you don't do anything strenuous, will clear without any problems. However too much stress can cause problems.

I've also been working at a mtb race where somebody in their 40s collapsed with heart failure. He was the luckiest man, as the two following riders, one was a first responder, and the other an anaesthetist. Then the medics were there within minutes with a defibrillator, and after being revived, he got a helicopter trip to the hospital.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The 'heart' has been my line of work for over 20 years, so, I feel I should say that you can reduce your chances of one by heeding the medical advice. Exercise, good diet, 'clean living' etc. I do not see many runners or cyclists in my line of work. With the greatest respect to those mentioned above, living or deceased, there is possibly more going on than the (in layman's terms) 'heart attack'.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I have done tons of exercise all my life. I have twice been hospitalised with heart attack symptoms. It's a very scary thing thinking that your number could be up and that you won't see your kids grow up. I was lucky both times that it wasn't, but they did both take 10 months to recover from.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had some heart issues 11 years ago. Fine now, but I thought I was about to die at any moment for about a year. I know what goes through someone’s mind when they have heart issues. Thankfully mine weren’t very serious
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    boogieman said:
    There’s no rhyme or reason behind heart problems it seems. My old father in law smoked heavily all his life and lived into his 80s. Meanwhile his son never smoked in his whole life, was a cross country runner who competed for GB and played badminton at a decent level up till his 50s. He died of a heart attack at 62. 
    Outliers exist for any reasonably robust understanding.

Heart attacks are unquestionably more likely if you're unhealthy and unfit.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24675
    I had mine (or should I not tempt fate and just say “a heart attack”) when I was 48.

OK, 48 who was an unhealthy, unfit smoker.

Now I’m an unhealthy, unfit 53yr old.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    There's an awful lot you can do to predict them but of course neither will give you 100% certainty.

Eat well, exercise, don't smoke, limit your drinking. The rest is up to (insert here what you do/don't believe in).

All the best to your mate @zepp76 ;
    You can take steps to prevent them, predicting them is a bit different. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• If I have one I hope mine is Sheer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7352
    yeah, Stents are a modern miracle and a Heart Attack when treated with them is not the portent of doom it once was. Take him round a nice scented candle and a bean bag...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>