Amp Socket Noisy - Which DeOxit ?

WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9624
Slightly noisy socket in my (used) CDS2...

Which DeOxit do I use ?

So I just spray into direct into the socket (amp switched off naturally !) ?

@ICBM ;
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72723
    Servisol.

What's a CDS2?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thanks @ICBM - sorry, its a Redplate CDS2 !

So, is Servisol the same as DeXoit ?

Do I spray into the socket, or on the valve itself ?

Cheers :)
    If it’s a valve socket, remove the valve and spray it into the socket contacts, then put the valve back in and wiggle it around a bit.

More information would be useful :). I thought you meant a jack socket...

It makes no odds, anyway.

I’ve never used DeOxit, but Servisol is the industry standard contact cleaner in the UK.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    If it’s a valve socket, remove the valve and spray it into the socket contacts, then put the valve back in and wiggle it around a bit.

More information would be useful :). I thought you meant a jack socket...

It makes no odds, anyway.

I’ve never used DeOxit, but Servisol is the industry standard contact cleaner in the UK.
    Cheers mate - top info.

Its simply a noisy v1 pre amp, which Im sure a couple of squrts will sort.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4744
    edited February 2018
    Servisol super 10 in the red and white can is the business and it's safe on plastics. 

https://www.rapidonline.com/servisol-6100001300-super-10-switch-cleaning-lubricant-200ml-87-0770

Image result for maplin servisol 10

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I bought some of that WD40 contact cleaner and I find it every bit as good as Servisol.
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Sassafras said:
    I bought some of that WD40 contact cleaner and I find it every bit as good as Servisol.
    On valve bases, I actually like it better, as it leaves no residue, Servisol can make preamp valves crackle unit they settle down, whereas the WD40 contact cleaner evaporates very quickly leaving no residue - just my personal preference
    DJH83004 said:
    Sassafras said:
    On valve bases, I actually like it better, as it leaves no residue, Servisol can make preamp valves crackle unit they settle down, whereas the WD40 contact cleaner evaporates very quickly leaving no residue - just my personal preference
    Yup, it really is good.
    It's also very effective at removing old velcro crud.
  • What is the thought on pot cleaner/lubricant? Caig F5 appears to be the USA choice, but it is roaringly expensive over here.
    Servisol.

WD40.
     ;) 
    Sassafras said:
    WD40.
     ;) 
    I know you’re joking, but standard WD-40 *does* work as a pot cleaner/lubricant - but I wouldn’t use it unless you’ve already tried Servisol or another proper contact cleaner and it’s failed.

If the WD-40 contact cleaner doesn’t leave a residue then it’s not ideal for pots since they also need lubricant.

ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:
    WD40.
     ;) 
    I know you’re joking, but standard WD-40 *does* work as a pot cleaner/lubricant - but I wouldn’t use it unless you’ve already tried Servisol or another proper contact cleaner and it’s failed.

If the WD-40 contact cleaner doesn’t leave a residue then it’s not ideal for pots since they also need lubricant.
    I meant the WD40 contact cleaner. Honestly, you should give it a try.
    It got rid of the crackle on a few of my old pedals where Servisol had failed.
    Not saying it's the definitive contact cleaner but it worked very well for me.
    And it's certainly a lot more affordable than the Deoxit stuff.
    BTW, I have no  WD40 sponsorship deal - yet.
    Given how much I love the standard WD-40, I should :).

It's useful to have a selection of these things, sometimes you find one or the other is better for specific applications.

Be careful about washing the lubricant out of pots though, it will actually increase track wear.

• All sorted - it was a dirty V1 socket (ooh er) on my Redplate CDS2...

A combo of Servisol and DeOxit Gold sorted it out :)

• breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    @Wazmeister ;; Tell us about that Tele..  :o