Volume pots on Les Paul

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    I would go for all Log (audio) unless you already know you prefer Linear for volume.

Firstly because most people do prefer Log for volume, and secondly because if you don't, it's much easier to modify the taper of a Log pot to get it closer to linear by adding a resistor, than it is the other way round.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @ICBM ;
    I had 3 cts log pots in my ebay basket and changed my mind after reading this thread.
    Changing it back again :-)

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14761
    edited February 2018
    Somewhere, out there, on the Interweb, somebody will have attempted to make an objective comparison between assorted pot resistance values and tapers. Log., Linear, Custom, 500, 550, 440, 300, 250 and all points in between. The presenter could be somebody "scientific", drab and humourless or it could be Pat & Doug. 

I like the DiMarzio EP1200 and 1201. These use a custom resistance taper. Information about the taper used to be available. I have not actually seen a graphic representation for years.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2884
    edited February 2018
    I found the objective comparison on YouTube - but unfortunately I fell asleep halfway through - they kept talking about custom resistance tapers or something...  :-) 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Interesting that some people fine tune the tone knob - for me I'd be just as well having a switch that goes from full on, backed off a bit, half way off and nearly fully off.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    thegummy said:
    Interesting that some people fine tune the tone knob - for me I'd be just as well having a switch that goes from full on, backed off a bit, half way off and nearly fully off.
    Even that is more than the variations you get with a linear tone pot usually.

10-3 - no difference
    2 - halfway off
    0 - off

Around 1 gives some variation but over too small a turn to be easy to find the sound you want reliably.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein