Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Winter Olympics

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    That’s a much better track than the one in Korea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

blobb said:
    Will there be a USA Vs Russia hockey match this time around? That was always the bit I liked to watch. Not having TV anymore I need to find somewhere on-line.
    As Russia aren’t technically there I guess not, although as their athletes are there then possibly yes. 
    Hope that’s clear. 
    the real shame is that NHL players won't be there...
    the world championships usually happen around the time of the Stanley Cup..
    that means that as the competition progresses you see NHL players from teams knocked out of the cup start trickling into teams that are still in the world championships..

the olympics though usually have NHL players right from the start, so it's international hockey with Canada, USA, Russia, Sweden, Finland and Czech Republic at full strength
    you wait 4 years to see this and then find that NHL players won't be there...
    it'll really hurt Canada and USA.. the other major nations will lose a handful of star players but overall won't be hit quite as hard..
    such a shame..

in footie terms it'd be like England entering the world cup with players from Championship league teams..
    hmmmmm this may not actually be a bad thing... lmao
    play every note as if it were your first
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    I live in a winter sports area so I'm interested but I suspect most folk in the uk find most events impossible to relate to in any way, and some of them must appear quite bizarre (double luge, anyone??).  The snowboarding is so spectacular it is entertaining in its own right but even alpine skiing must seem fairly boring unless there's British interest, which there isn't. 

I agree the commentators could do more.  The technical presenters assume too much knowledge on the part of the viewer.  Some interesting facts/figures would help for example I learned this morning that in ice hockey the pucks have to be ice cold otherwise they bounce - so they are routinely replaced throughout a game they keep about 50 odd in a freezer and they could all be used in the course of a game.  

Long track speed skating is easily my favourite, I'd love to see that live.
  • We used to have an O'Neil slope style event once a year in Davos. I remember watching some of the current olympians as kids do the most amazing things.

Snowcross and ice hockey are also insanely good sports to watch live.

Winter Olympics are much more fun than the summer ones.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 943
    We used to have an O'Neil slope style event once a year in Davos. I remember watching some of the current olympians as kids do the most amazing things.

Snowcross and ice hockey are also insanely good sports to watch live.

Winter Olympics are much more fun than the summer ones.

Having just watched the Snowboard X it might be my new favourite... 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Wife’s friends niece should have been in the pairs ice dancing for Spain, but some weird shit happened, so...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Skeleton spoiler

Gold for Yarnold, Bronze for Deas!!!

Skeleton nerd alert - skeleton has only been held at 7 Olympics (1928, 1948 and 2002-2018), and Britain has won medals at all of them! 5 Bronze, 1 Silver and 3 Gold. Not bad for an island where it mainly just rains ;)

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    edited February 2018
    Fair dues to anyone who would go downhill on a skeleton.

Congrats to Lizzie, brave woman..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Ski slope style shits all over the snowboard version, this is fucking epic!
  • 1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good to see Russian athletes learning from past mistakes eh........ :-1: 
    It won't just be Russians.
    It won't just be Russians.
    Curling though... PEDs to help push a stone port way down some ice?! What's next..  steroids for darts players? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom