Scratchy pots on a semi-acoustic

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
The pots on my Epi Sheraton can be a bit scratchy but being a semi there is no rear plate to remove to get to them.  Short of taking it to an expert to access the wiring loom and replace pots and switch gear, are there any tricks whereby I can get some contact cleaner into the pots?
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• susbemolsusbemol Frets: 437
    Most contact cleaners come with a little straw/tube that should allow you to apply it to the pots without removing them. You need to make sure the tube end is positioned right in the gap next to the solder lugs so that the contract cleaner actually gets to the wiper inside the pot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31935
    That's fine if the gaps are facing the F-holes. 
  • You can sometimes get away with squirting some switch cleaner down the pot shafts from above. Remove the knobs, wrap a cloth around to soak up any excess and then spray liberally down the exposed pot shaft.

I've seen a gadget that screws onto the exposed pot thread and forces the cleaner down the shaft. I've no idea who makes them (possibly StewMac?) but I bodged up something similar myself using an old plastic syringe (and I still use a cloth to soak up overspray).

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Have a gander on youtube for 'how to' remove/replace controls on a 335/semi type guitar.

It's a bit fiddly and the first time will be time consuming but is doable for most practical people. i would suggest if going to the trouble of taking them out I'd fit a brand new and upgraded set in there. If paying someone else to do it the cost of components will likely be less that the labour so why not. The likes of our own Oil City Pickups and others sell looms and components.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14768
    tFB Trader
    You can sometimes get away with squirting some switch cleaner down the pot shafts from above. Remove the knobs, wrap a cloth around to soak up any excess and then spray liberally down the exposed pot shaft.

I've seen a gadget that screws onto the exposed pot thread and forces the cleaner down the shaft. I've no idea who makes them (possibly StewMac?) but I bodged up something similar myself using an old plastic syringe (and I still use a cloth to soak up overspray).

it does work on many occasions - worth a try first - plenty of cloth around the pot area though - turn the pot to-fro after spraying