What causes the HT fuse to blow?

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
Set up my 2204 last night at a gig and came to sound check and some strange noises and then silence. Bugger. 

The HT fuse is fried and I didn’t have a spare but luckily I had the DSL401 as a backup so used that instead. 

My question is what would cause the HT fuse to blow? I used the 2204 a few hours before the gig and it was singing beautifully. The only thing I can possibly think of as a factor was a kettle lead in the back of the cab and the earth pin on the plug shorting the speaker connections?!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72723
    Usually a blown power valve.

The mains plug contacting the speaker terminals will definitely not be anything to do with it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    ICBM said:

The mains plug contacting the speaker terminals will definitely not be anything to do with it.
    That’s quite annoying! It only had a service and new power valves about 4 months ago...

What would cause the power valve to fail? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72723
    rico said:
    ICBM said:

That’s quite annoying! It only had a service and new power valves about 4 months ago...

What would cause the power valve to fail? 
    Being a valve... being new... being a modern-production valve... they just do sometimes.

Things where the valve itself is not the cause:

Bias being too hot - common on old Marshalls when the bias caps have started to leak.
    No screen resistors in the amp - not fitted on most 70s Marshalls.
    Shock/extreme vibration, especially when the valve is hot.
    Being used with an attenuator like a THD Hotplate which has the wrong impedance curve.

It's also possible that it's not a valve - a faulty impedance selector (also common on old Marshalls, if the original pull-out type is left in place), speaker cable or jack can also blow the HT fuse, as can an arc in the OT or a failing filter cap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I should say that it’s a Ceriatone 2204 clone which is only a few years old but in any case I’ll get it to the tech - thanks for your advice @ICBM ;
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    rico said:
    I should say that it’s a Ceriatone 2204 clone which is only a few years old but in any case I’ll get it to the tech - thanks for your advice @ICBM ;
    In that case it might be the power transformer. Mine went on my OTS and that just kept blowing fuses.

But more likely just a valve. Get yourself a multimeter and learn how to bias it yourself, then you'll know how hot/cold it's been set.  
    @hywelg I have a multimeter and i'm not averse to trying it but what are the risks? 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305
    Seeing as the Ceriatone has dual bias measurement points and an external bias pot, pretty low risk. Get and order a pair of matched EL34's (I personally like Winged C's).

Read up about biasing and give it a go. If the fuse blows again with the new valves you'll have ruled out that as the problem. 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2596
    tFB Trader
    if it is the HT fuse that has blown it won't be the Power Transformer as the HT fuse is after the Power transformer. Like ICBM said it is most likely a valve issue