Eventide H9

What's Hot
ash96ash96 Frets: 61
Anyone used them? Whats everyones thoughts?

Thinking about getting one of these to replace a bunch of the strymons I have but dont use to their fullest potential. Think this would be a good 'swiss army' pedal to cover the random times I need chorus, tremelo, leslie style stuff.

Is the power it need an issue? Its centre positive right? But should be too much more draw than the current stymons I've got.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited February 2018
    ash96 said:
    Anyone used them? Whats everyones thoughts?

Thinking about getting one of these to replace a bunch of the strymons I have but dont use to their fullest potential. Think this would be a good 'swiss army' pedal to cover the random times I need chorus, tremelo, leslie style stuff.

Is the power it need an issue? Its centre positive right? But should be too much more draw than the current stymons I've got.
    This exactly what I have just done. I've just sold my Timeline and Mobius due to not using them to their full potential too. I have 2xH9s now. Does more than enough for my needs and sounds great. Love it in stereo too. 

They will run on 400ma each at 12v 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I’m the opposite... sold a Timeline plus a few other bits and went all in with two H9’s. I missed the Timeline almost immediately! There’s something about the H9 sound I didn’t particularly care for, and I found it horrible to try and use live. The latter point may be moot if you’re using some sort of switcher/midi.
    My money would be headed towards a new HXfx I think.
  • I have one and love it. Whenever I fancy a particular sound, or get the idea I need a new pedal, I just spend a short while with the H9. I also have an EvenMidi pedal, which is a midi controller for the H9 that has a load of knobs on it. It lets you control the H9 without an app much more easily. 

Right now now I have nothing else on my board but a cock fight and a broadcast, a looper and a tuner. I also have a footswitch and an expression pedal plugged into the H9.

• ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    simonk said:
    I’m the opposite... sold a Timeline plus a few other bits and went all in with two H9’s. I missed the Timeline almost immediately! There’s something about the H9 sound I didn’t particularly care for, and I found it horrible to try and use live. The latter point may be moot if you’re using some sort of switcher/midi.
    Yeah I’d heard this a bit. Bit awkward to patch up and down without an external switch 99% or the time I’m only using one effect per song so switching between em isn’t super important. How do you bank up and down? Right button does up and hold is for tap tempo, do you hit the big button to take it to bank down on the right switch?
  • ash96 said:
    simonk said:
    Yeah I’d heard this a bit. Bit awkward to patch up and down without an external switch 99% or the time I’m only using one effect per song so switching between em isn’t super important. How do you bank up and down? Right button does up and hold is for tap tempo, do you hit the big button to take it to bank down on the right switch?
    Love mine. My advise is to get a digitech fsx3 foot switch you can get them for less than £25 Ive got mine programmed to increase/decrease presets and tap tempo or use it to control pretty much anything you want it to do. Makes it so much easier to use. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited February 2018
    Just make sure you like the eventide sound. It seems to be quite marmite.
    Personally I love my h9 and have been using it happily for over 2 years now
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Just make sure you like the eventide sound. It seems to be quite marmite.
    Personally I live my h9 and have been using it happily for over 2 years now
    To my ears the H9 is very comparible with timeline or möbius. However, I am no cork sniffer with fx etc nor are my audiences. Sometimes we can be too attached to this stuff. I'm probably gonna be judged as an absolute heathen for saying that but I really do feel The H9s are really good all rounders. Which is why I use them. Smaller too ;) 
  • The H9 has so much to offer and are found on many pro boards, so the sounds are clearly respected.

i love mine and find using with MIDI and an expression pedal works best.

theyre not just about reverb, delay and modulation though. Algorithms such as Harpeggiator can be really inspirational.

Both Eventide and Strymon units are excellent. H9 is my preference though.
  • I have found the expression pedal works brilliantly and I love how assignable all the parameters are. 
    Even the fuzz is impressive for a digital unit.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I have found the expression pedal works brilliantly and I love how assignable all the parameters are. 
    Even the fuzz is impressive for a digital unit.
    Agreed. The dirt is one of my favorite parts of the H9. If only it could do a good cocked wah/fuzz, I could ditch yet another pedal!
  • Despite having the 3 big Strymons, I've taken my H9 off the sales thread. Tried it out on the board, and getting some unbelievable sounds.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Cocked wah/fuzz. Good replacement for EHX Cock Fight. 

• Cocked wah/fuzz. Good replacement for EHX Cock Fight. 
    I guess you'd need an expression pedal for that to work well @mistercharlie ;
  • I do have an expression pedal, but I’m using this as a cocked wah sound. Also, you can switch in the envelope filter for a nice dirty auto-wah
    Despite having the 3 big Strymons, I've taken my H9 off the sales thread. Tried it out on the board, and getting some unbelievable sounds.

This is the boat I’m in, I’ve got the timeline, möbius and the big sky. But I pretty much use 3 patches on them all so it’s pretty overkill. And the size of them. 

Ive been toying with making a smaller grab and go pedalboard, so was thinking of just having the  H9 to replace the 3 strymons as it should still cover all the bases I need. 
  • The only problem with the H9 in that situation is that you can’t run delay, reverb, and modulation at the same time. There are a bunch of algorithms with several effects combined, but it’s not the same. 

I’m thinking of adding a second H9 just for that reason. 
  • The only problem with the H9 in that situation is that you can’t run delay, reverb, and modulation at the same time. There are a bunch of algorithms with several effects combined, but it’s not the same. 

This is why I got 2 x H9s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The only problem with the H9 in that situation is that you can’t run delay, reverb, and modulation at the same time. There are a bunch of algorithms with several effects combined, but it’s not the same. 

Havent they just added that space and time algorithm that does have delay reverb and chorus in it? Obviously not interchangeable adding and taking away one by one, but would do the whole lot together

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7570
    There's a big H9 thread if you manage to dig it out - loads of useful info on there
    Red ones are better.