Nano pedals with rear mounted input/output jacks?

What's Hot
lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
Regular pedal cables inserted on the sides of the nano range of pedals tend to negate the space saved by small pedals. Couldn't the enclosure height be increased to permit both jacks rear mounted one of top of the other? Or is this a silly idea in the making, not to mention cost ineffective for the unnecessarily large enclosure.
I suppose using solderless cables from evidence audio would help with the space loss. The extra height might make the pedal unstable when pressing the footswitch.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Even one rear mounted might be enough. the power jack could go on the side of the other jack.
    If a line of nanos were lined up, one almost touching the next, there wouldn't be the space for a precise foot to depress the footswitch. However, if they were on loops...
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited February 2018
    I have a Raingerfx Dr.Freakenstein dwarf with both guitar jacks, 9v input and input for the expression/pressure pad all on the top end of the (slightly higher) mini enclosure.

I have to say i love the enclosure and design, although you can only use very slim guitar leads, as the inputs are a bit too close together.... no pancacke leads etc...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlb said:
    If a line of nanos were lined up, one almost touching the next, there wouldn't be the space for a precise foot to depress the footswitch. However, if they were on loops...
    ...then you'd still have spent loads of money and have a big pedalboard anyway?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    lukedlb said:
    ...then you'd still have spent loads of money and have a big pedalboard anyway?
    True. 
    The nano enclosures, layered circuit boards, digital controls over analogue signal, one pot and one switch combinations, etc are defining the musician friendly (weight and size) pedalboards of the future. However, the side inputs seems a bit backwards, especially since the power is on the back (why not the side too?).

I have a Raingerfx Dr.Freakenstein with both guitar jacks, 9v input and input for the expression/pressure pad all on the top end of the (slightly higher) mini enclosure.

I have to say i love the enclosure and design, although you can only use very slim guitar leads, as the inputs are a bit too close together.... no pancacke leads etc...
    Wow! Exactly what I meant. Now that’s the future. 
    Are the jacks one directly on top of the other? Do L-shaped jacks work? I’ve long wondered whether an extended barrel jack (rather than an extension jack) exists so that the long L could sit over the normal L. 
  • With the nano pedals the sockets are always ( I think) staggered ( presumably have to be ) so if you only use nano pedals they should fit fairly close together. If they are right up to each other they wouldn't be useable unless you have tiny, tiny feet. 
    My bigger issue tends to be the placement of the 9v socket which is invariably in the way, although that's also true on bigger pedals like MXR. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I imagine cramming two jacks on to the narrow side of a 1590A size enclosure would severely limit the types of jack plugs you could use. If it meant making up special cables so that I could use it, I'd think twice about buying the pedal. 

Not to mention the internal space it would take up- two rear-mounted jacks would take up almost half of the internal space available (even if you didn't have to stagger them), whereas two side mounted jacks can, with careful measurement, be made to fit it a pretty small amount of space. Notice also that the screw attachments limit the space available:

Image result for 1590a pedals internal

The Dr Freakenstein's Dwarf approach is pretty good actually, but uses a different sized enclosure:

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

If the power were above the igor, the input and output could both be L jacks. A shame that. Still, I'm impressed by the Dr. Freakenstein approach.
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 273
    lukedlb said:
    Regular pedal cables inserted on the sides of the nano range of pedals tend to negate the space saved by small pedals. 

Think this was the idea behind Red Witch's line of mini pedals as they designed their own small enclosure with top mounted jacks. Their built in rechargeable lithium ion battery seemed a sensible idea too. Guess in the context of a varied pedalboard neither feature matters so much as haven't seen them on many pedalboards...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470

Unless you are running some kind of loop switching thing to control it all, I don't really see the point of all these puny pedals.  Anything smaller than an MXR size box, and they are too close together.  If I'm singing and playing guitar at the same time, it's hard enough to be sure I'm hitting the right pedal with a normal pedal size.