Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What’s the maximum number of pedals you would tolerate in a chain?

What's Hot
Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2227

I’ve been going through a cycle of building up a nice selection of pedals and them ditching them as they seem to take something away from the sound.  I assume this is signal loss due to passing through 7 or 8 different pedals and patch leads. 

So, what’s the maximum number of pedals you would tolerate in a chain? 

I’m thinking to restrict myself to just a few pedals or look into a switching device.    

Interested to hear your thoughts / advice on this , ….. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just get a buffer, then you can have *all* the pedals :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I run up to 11 pedals on my Pedaltrain Jr without any type of loop switcher. Obviously not the preferred method, but they’re all high quality pedals and almost all true bypass (which of course still isn’t perfect). I don’t question is too much as I’m happy with the size and weight of my board as well as having all the tonal options I need for 90% of jobs.

I have no doubt there would be a small improvement in overall tone if I were to run them all through a switching system, but the key thing is that I’m very happy with my sound as it is so can’t justify the extra weight and board size. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 915
    edited February 2018
    As many as will fit on my pedalboard!

I've had huge boards in the past and never had an issue with tone when running through loads of pedals. I'm not playing so much now so have a much smaller set up with only 9 pedals and it sounds good to me!
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • I will add that my signal is very clean - I’ve never had any noise or hum issues and this is due to having decent power (can highly recommend the Truetone CS7 and CS12 power supplies as well as the CIOKS and GigRig supplies).

I tend to run Fender style amps and use them as a clean platform with my overdrive and distortions etc coming from pedals, but back when I was using Marshall’s and Mesa amps for their amp distortions I used to notice tonal loss a lot more. Back then I was playing a lot more heavy rock etc, now I’m mainly playing Neo-Soul/R&B, Pop/Rock and jazz/blues etc. So my tonal requirements and experience may be very different to yours.

If you’re really noticing ‘tone loss’, then the GigRig Quartermasters are excellent and won’t take up much space on your board or complicate your setup too much.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    As long as I've got amp reverb, I don't need any more than 4 pedals:
    3 drive pedals and an AMT preamp.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7853

currently . . . 20 :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just get a buffer, then you can have *all* the pedals :)

This, obviously.

Currently nine, but adding more shouldn't hurt. Good power and good cable help keep it quiet and transparent.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2227
    Interesting. Hadn't thought of a buffer..... definitely preferable to a switching system
  • Stick a Boss TU-3 at the start of your chain and don't worry about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Fishboy7 said:
    Interesting. Hadn't thought of a buffer..... definitely preferable to a switching system
    Last time I asked about buffers, someone pointed out that I already had a pedal on my board with a good buffer (EHX Soul Food), I simply had to enable it using a dip switch.

Unless all your pedals are true bypass only, chances are you already have a buffer!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    Maynehead said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    Last time I asked about buffers, someone pointed out that I already had a pedal on my board with a good buffer (EHX Soul Food), I simply had to enable it using a dip switch.

Unless all your pedals are true bypass only, chances are you already have a buffer!

Any standard Boss pedal will be buffered.  If you have a Tube Screamer that will be buffered.  The Klon is buffered, as are most Klones e.g. the Soul Food.

A lot of delays and Reverbs are buffered but they tend to go at the end of the chain.  It is good to have a buffer near the start of the chain.

The Cornish buffer clone from Pedalparts is an easy build if you want to go that route.

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2227
    Hmm, I have a TU2 at one end and a Strymon Blue Sky at the other end.  So it seems I'm already buffered up..

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Fishboy7 said:
    Hmm, I have a TU2 at one end and a Strymon Blue Sky at the other end.  So it seems I'm already buffered up..

Well this is the problem you see... buffers will also alter your tone.

When I was doing some experiments with buffers, I noticed the following:

Taking a short lead from guitar straight into the amp as the control tone, I noticed that without buffers (all pedals in true bypass) I lost the top end chime in my tone. With a buffer, I got back some top end frequencies, but it still missed the very top of the chime, which gave the tone a slightly artificial edge.

I came to the conclusion that it was all a compromise. If you play mostly with distortion, you might choose to go the unbuffered route, as the reduction in top end might actually be desirable, as it can tame some of the fizz.

If you play a lot of clean/edge of breakup stuff, and must use pedals, I'd settle for a buffer, although no buffer will give you the natural ring of a guitar straight into the amp.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • honestly, you can worry far too much about this stuff.
    Once had a board that had 15 or so pedals, 10 in front, 5 in the fx loop. Made the sounds I needed. Current one has 3 pedals with a boss es 5 all in the front. Makes the sounds I need.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm very simple when it comes to pedals, only the basics if using a 2-channel amp. Tuner, noisegate and an overdrive. Might have chorus and delay but that'll be about it.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I didn't even feel like my board was excessive until I saw all the single digit numbers on this thread. Jesus.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    If all true bypass then 4, max 5 I think. After that you need at least one well placed buffer, but I tend to limit myself to around 8 pedals max.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Theory says that if you have more than about half a dozen true-bypass pedals you need a buffer, and if you have more than about half a dozen buffers then you need a true-bypass looper, so the maximum number of pedals is only limited by how many levels you want to take this to.

If you have 36 true-bypass pedals, run them in six buffered loops and put the whole lot in a true-bypass looper.

Six times that lot and you need another buffer...

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    At the moment I only use one pedal, a Boss FRV-1 reverb into a JTM45 if I'm feeling fruity I might dig out my pedalboard that has three pedals, a Strymon Sunset, El Capistan and Bluesky. I have a load of pedals I just don't use anymore and should put them up for sale. It really was a revelation buying the Marshall, I just don't feel the need for any more pedals but I am a sucker for a bit of reverb (that's the Peter Green fan in me) and would love a Fender reverb unit, that really would be the icing on the cake!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    dindude said:
    If all true bypass then 4, max 5 I think. After that you need at least one well placed buffer, but I tend to limit myself to around 8 pedals max.
    This seems about right to me, although I currently have 11 pedals on my board.  A couple of them don't get used much and I could probably live without.