Jet city jca20hv anyone tried one ?

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
edited February 2018 in Amps
I've been offered a jet city jca20hv head for sale locally . 
Anyone tried one ?? Just want to do a bit research before I go and try it .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31704
    I haven't tried one, but I have a 20H and a Custom 22 and they're great amps, don't see why the 20HV should be any different as long as you like its particular preamp voicing. 

They're well made using good quality components, and they're fun and easy to mod if you want a bit more of this or a bit less of that. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72723
    Likewise I haven’t played a 20HV, but all the other Jet City’s I’ve come across have been really well-made and sound great - although some need bright caps removing in order to not sound too bright. I don’t think this applies to any of the 20W series though.

Don't be put off by the low price - it’s hard to understand why they’re as cheap as they are, they’re as well or better-made than some amps costing two and three times as much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Might give it a try . 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 888
    I have one - love It!
  • newi123 said:
    I have one - love It!
    I'm looking for a small but giggable amp that does Brit overdrive style sound up to jcm800 type gain , will it fit the bill ??
    My main band plays rock - aerosmith, vh, pop punk through to ratm, soad. Covers it all with a drive pedal infront. Ive used an ac+, ts and sd1. The drive from the amp is more 70s than 80s - think acdc etc.

Through a 2x12 with a v30 and a heritage it sounds really good. Constant compliments. Loads of volume.

I did change the power valves to some mesa ones and that made a big difference.

• Out of interest do the Jet City amps do something like the 60s Marshall with the gain dialled back a bit
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Never played a 60s Marshall, but my 20hv did replace a 1958x. Surprisingly similar, but the jet city is way louder and being solid state rectifier doesn't sag so much at volume.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12434
    I've got the single Channel 20w combo, I love it.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    I've got one - works great with humbucker guitars, but a bit too toppy with my strats and teles.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3082
    I have one, Its a keeper, I believe the V version to be a bit less trebly than the non V. I think the reason they are much cheaper than the opposition is because they have no dealer network, you buy direct, cutting out the middleman costs.....nice build quality, great sound, cheap! I did change the valves though......try it!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• I’ve looked into these a couple of times - they look like they might be similar to a Dr Z Maz with the cleaner front end with Marshall and vox-like elements. I’m always keen on an amp with a good master volume ...