Boss ES-5

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 460
edited February 2018 in FX
I'm a complete newbie to switching systems I'm not even sure if it's worth adding one to my current set up and I can see how they would be utilised for live use.
 I've researched a couple of the Boss offerings but I still don't really understand how they work.
For example I've got quite a few settings I like on my old Boss OD-1 and DM-2w are you saying that these switching systems like the ES-5 can save your favourite settings as individual patches in the internal memory? and that you can recall those saved parameter settings any time? How does that work on analog based pedals? I thought these switchers only worked best with midi based pedals? As I say I'm completely new to this any help would be greatly appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5164
    edited February 2018
    That's not how it works unfortunately. At the very basic level, the ES-5 has five send/return loops that can be engaged or bypassed. Each preset you save is just a combination of on/off statuses for each loop- eg. 1:ON 2:OFF 3:ON 4:OFF 5:ON

This is useful if you use different combinations of effects all the time and need to switch between them quickly.

Since the ES-5 can also send MIDI messages (patch changes and control changes- altering parameters within a patch), you can see how the options open up dramatically if you have a few MIDI-enabled pedals, but it's not required.

There's a ton of other stuff the ES-5 can do, but that's the core of it. If all you want is the loop switching there are much cheaper ways to achieve that. As far as I know, the only way to get multiple settings on basic analogue pedals is either to change them on the fly, or to have duplicates of the same pedal on your board.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Gig rig had a very, very expensive electric knob turner thing for sale that can change your presets on a stomp box
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • That's not how it works unfortunately. At the very basic level, the ES-5 has five send/return loops that can be engaged or bypassed. Each preset you save is just a combination of on/off statuses for each loop- eg. 1:ON 2:OFF 3:ON 4:OFF 5:ON

This is useful if you use different combinations of effects all the time and need to switch between them quickly.

Since the ES-5 can also send MIDI messages (patch changes and control changes- altering parameters within a patch), you can see how the options open up dramatically if you have a few MIDI-enabled pedals, but it's not required.
    That's great! many thanks for clearing that up for me, guess I'll just stick to my current set up.
  • Gig rig had a very, very expensive electric knob turner thing for sale that can change your presets on a stomp box
    Neil Young called. He wants his idea back.

Image result for neil young amp whizzer

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited February 2018
    Yes I use it mainly to switch my h9's via midi. I have a few other pedals that I can move around in the chain if I choose, turn buffers off or on. Create a tap tempo out of one of the switches should I choose and also create assigns to each switch if I needed too. Very versatile bit of kit and love it. Used to have a disaster area switcher which are also great but just as expensive and don't get as much for your money etc

Another thing I use it for is switching my amp channel or switching to a favourite setting on my Strymon sunset. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/