• speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Ups are the best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Don't, would be my advice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    UPS .. avoid the rest.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • underdog said:
    Don't, would be my advice.
    I always say: "if you value it, take/fetch it yourself"
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    I hate sending guitars by courier. I sent a £1300 guitar this week, by UPS. But it was a very well built ESP, super solid, and if they'd run it over, I think the UPS truck would have come off worse. In contrast, the SG I'm selling has the famously feeble neck-body joint, and I'd not want to risk that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited February 2018
    UPS via transglobal express, fully insured for the 2k should come in at around 50-60 quid.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4379
    UPS via transglobal express, fully insured for the 2k should come in at around 50-60 quid.
    I sent my Lowden to Edinburgh, from London this way. I didn't want to ship it but the buyer sorted it out and said he'd accept it if anything happened. It got there in one piece. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432
    I like using UPS, usually through Interparcel, and they have mainly been OK. They did let me down a couple of weeks ago when I paid for one-day delivery of a guitar but they took two days because "We've incorrectly sorted this package". Otherwise they've been OK.

Just out of interest I weighed and measured my Gibson ES-335 in its Gibson HSC: 8kg, 114x46x11cm and the UPS charge via Interparcel with it insured for the full £2,000 was £105 within mainland UK. That's rather more than the £50-60 mentioned above but I don't have a Transglobal account to be able to compare. If Transglobal really are that much cheaper than Interparcel, using UPS, I would certainly look at them next time.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    UPS full stop
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited February 2018
    Jimbro66 said:
    I like using UPS, usually through Interparcel, and they have mainly been OK. They did let me down a couple of weeks ago when I paid for one-day delivery of a guitar but they took two days because "We've incorrectly sorted this package". Otherwise they've been OK.

Just out of interest I weighed and measured my Gibson ES-335 in its Gibson HSC: 8kg, 114x46x11cm and the UPS charge via Interparcel with it insured for the full £2,000 was £105 within mainland UK. That's rather more than the £50-60 mentioned above but I don't have a Transglobal account to be able to compare. If Transglobal really are that much cheaper than Interparcel, using UPS, I would certainly look at them next time.
    Like I said, UPS via Transglobal fully insured for 2k it’s about £50-60. I sent something yesterday using exactly that service
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited February 2018
    I collected a Gretsch semi-acoustic, rather than have it posted.  Got a cheap first class return ticket from London to Glasgow...  breakfast and coffee/cake on the way there and curry for dinner with a few whiskies on the way back.

I also got a return train from London to Crewe, to collect a Martin acoustic.  The ticket IIRC cost £9.50 and IIRC, the outward journey started at 0525 and the way back stopped at every station between Crewe and Euston. Worth it though :) 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    My experiences with UPS in the last 12 months.

Bedford to Manchester (Guitar Tech) and back, no insurance...

Fender USA Pro Strat
    Bridgehouse Telecaster
    Gretsch Streamliner

Bedford to Wigan (Cottham Guitars) and back, no insurance..

Ibanez UV777BK

Bedford to Nottingham (Forum Member, Xmas), no insurance.....

Ibanez RG Iron Label
    Marshall Code 25

Bedford to Derby (Classifieds sale), ....no insurance...

Fender Mike Landau Deville

Plus loads of other stuff that isn't guitar related or breakable as such but they're still my go-to Courier.

Never had anything except 100% reliable service and one guitar shipping box ended up being used 3 times, it was in that good condition after being used.
  • I've used ups about half a dozen times, including one abroad.. No probs whatsoever
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Alnico said:
    My experiences with UPS in the last 12 months.

Bedford to Manchester (Guitar Tech) and back, no insurance...

Fender USA Pro Strat
    Bridgehouse Telecaster
    Gretsch Streamliner

Bedford to Wigan (Cottham Guitars) and back, no insurance..

Ibanez UV777BK

Bedford to Nottingham (Forum Member, Xmas), no insurance.....

Ibanez RG Iron Label
    Marshall Code 25

Bedford to Derby (Classifieds sale), ....no insurance...

Fender Mike Landau Deville

Plus loads of other stuff that isn't guitar related or breakable as such but they're still my go-to Courier.

Never had anything except 100% reliable service and one guitar shipping box ended up being used 3 times, it was in that good condition after being used.
    If that's the box I think it is then it's fine for a 4th too.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12096
    I am thinking of not paying the £40 insurance
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    edited February 2018
    Don't go cheap. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Don't go cheap. 
    I always paid full insurance etc, but £60 seems ridiculous
    I can send via Pharos for £11
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    For a one-off shipment, that's brave. You just have to work out if you are OK with that risk. (No whining here next week!)

Basically, £40 for £2000 cover is them saying "a 1 in 50 chance of loss". Of course, UPS doesn't lose 1 in 50 packages. I've shipped several thousand packages (not guitars) by UPS and they've lost/damaged perhaps 1 or 2 (I can't remember the last one). So the insurance is definitely a big profit earner for them - probably a higher % profit margin than the actual shipping profit.

Of course, for me, if they lose a package, I just get another one off the shelf and ship it. I don't bother with the insurance. But for a one-off shipment, you don't have that luxury.
    I chickened out and paid the £60 to transglobal (UPS)