Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson Fooked

What's Hot
12345679»

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    It's simple, really, All they need is the endorsement of one of the World's best known rock guitarists, and keep releasing 'signature' models based on his Les Pauls (while ignoring the fact that the 'original' Les Paul was actually a Derrig...) and charging crazy money for it.

Oh, wait....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    Its a utopian view that brands are meaningless. And I admire anyone who genuinely lives by that ethic. But more often than not its posturing.

does it have to be so black and white? No.

I find brands meaningless, but that does not mean I don't buy brands. It's quite possible for a manufacture to make exactly the product you want. and I don't see anything wrong with that. sometimes, it's just the easy option, the only option, the lazy option or the right option. I also don't care enough to avoid brands and seek out alternatives.

but I don't believe it matters if any given brand goes under. there is nearly always something else to take it's place.

so not utopian unless you are very, very anal about it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    It’s serious folks. Proper serious.

Rang ma and pa earlier for a chat and mother pipes up “I read that Gibson guitars are going up the Swanee.. is it true?”

If mother knows about it then shits actually getting real. 

She predicted Carillion collapsing in December and she even thought Woolies were screwed 6 months before they went under.

Get yourselves down to the guitar show on Saturday and panic buy all the Gibsons.

Or don’t.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited February 2018
    It’s serious folks. Proper serious.

Rang ma and pa earlier for a chat and mother pipes up “I read that Gibson guitars are going up the Swanee.. is it true?”

She predicted Carillion collapsing in December and she even thought Woolies were screwed 6 months before they went under.

Get yourselves down to the guitar show on Saturday and panic buy all the Gibsons.

Or don’t.
    My 73 year old sister wondered if it would make the Gibson she knows I own more valuable. Tbh, given she’s 20 years older that me, I found this a bit concerning....

I’m doing some decorating for her tomorrow - can someone check I’m still alive in the early evening - and notify the authorities if I’m not responding?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s serious folks. Proper serious.

Or don’t.
    My 73 year old sister wondered if it would make the Gibson she knows I own more valuable. Tbh, given she’s 20 years older that me, I found this a bit concerning....

I’m doing some decorating for her tomorrow - can someone check I’m still alive in the early evening - and notify the authorities if I’m not responding?
    Just get someone other than her to hold the ladder...and sneak a go pro into the corner.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Standard & Poor? That’s a bit of a harsh assessment of all the other Les Paul models, isn’t it?
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 929
    Time to keep an eye out for that silverburst custom I've always coveted. And not sell the studio gem I've had since I was 16!
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    A change is gonna come.

Watch out for Camo SGs and Antigua burst LPs with Wilkinson hardware.   
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3423
    I seriously doubt the Gibson brand, patents and tooling are going anywhere anytime soon.

At a push, they may manage to refinance it themselves.

If not then they will just file for bankruptcy, refinance it, stick in a new management team who will hopefully finally stop mucking about with a winning formula, simplify the portfolio  and make the guitars that we all want them to make.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    NelsonP said:
    I seriously doubt the Gibson brand, patents and tooling are going anywhere anytime soon.

At a push, they may manage to refinance it themselves.

If not then they will just file for bankruptcy, refinance it, stick in a new management team who will hopefully finally stop mucking about with a winning formula, simplify the portfolio  and make the guitars that we all want them to make.

• A_T_W said:
    strat1990 said:
    NelsonP said:
    This is a bit bleak

"That’s when sales figures revealed a serious sales drop over the past decade.  Specifically, guitar sales have dropped from approximately 1.5 million units annually to roughly 1 million — all in less than a decade. "
    I've heard this a lot. I think a lot of it is to do with the crappy, over manufactured "music" people listen to now, which just doesn't inspire them to pick up and play. Thank God I was bought up on the greats.

So, if Gibson goes under, what happens to epiphone?
    I think this sort of attitude is what puts people off of playing the guitar more than anything else to be honest.
    I'm really not sure what your point is here.

There are 3 types of artist I run into now:

1, The true guitar players/singers

2, the Ed Sheeran wanabees 

3, the ones who make "music" on their computer.

Most of the music venues in my area don't have live bands on anymore. I visited a school last year and their music rooms had dusty guitars sitting around not being played, but plenty of kids sitting on laptops making a hell of a racket. Maybe my "attitude" influenced them too....
    "Pick your noses up!"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmgpmg Frets: 301
    strat1990 said:
    A_T_W said:
    strat1990 said:
    NelsonP said:
    This is a bit bleak

"That’s when sales figures revealed a serious sales drop over the past decade.  Specifically, guitar sales have dropped from approximately 1.5 million units annually to roughly 1 million — all in less than a decade. "
    I've heard this a lot. I think a lot of it is to do with the crappy, over manufactured "music" people listen to now, which just doesn't inspire them to pick up and play. Thank God I was bought up on the greats.

So, if Gibson goes under, what happens to epiphone?
    I think this sort of attitude is what puts people off of playing the guitar more than anything else to be honest.
    I'm really not sure what your point is here.

There are 3 types of artist I run into now:

1, The true guitar players/singers

2, the Ed Sheeran wanabees 

3, the ones who make "music" on their computer.

Most of the music venues in my area don't have live bands on anymore. I visited a school last year and their music rooms had dusty guitars sitting around not being played, but plenty of kids sitting on laptops making a hell of a racket. Maybe my "attitude" influenced them too....
    For a generation brought up with computers is potentially more user friendly for them to make music with them rather than with guitars.  Plus, that type of music is more mainstream at the moment.  People have shorter attention spans these days so I think they’re less likely to invest time in learning what could currently be viewed as an unfashionable instrument.  

Im not saying it’s easy to learn to make music with computers btw
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5594
    Someone has leaked Gibson’s last ditch attempt to recover the business. 

Apparently they think the modern new designed guitar will revolutionise the guitar market and save the business.....

They already tried that in the Jimi Hendrix model which was another disaster and got scrapped before launch!

http://www.gear-vault.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/jh-gibson-black-strat.jpg

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12322
    DiscoStu said:

Apparently they think the modern new designed guitar will revolutionise the guitar market and save the business.....

They already tried that in the Jimi Hendrix model which was another disaster and got scrapped before launch!

OMG - I had to google that to check you weren't joking!

That is so hilariously misguided it's untrue, shame none were released I'd love to get my hands on a "Gibson Strat", it's so wrong it probably married it's sister.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    DiscoStu said:

That Hendrix thing looks like a Stratocaster birthday cake made by someone who’s only seen a Stratocaster once.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73015
    DiscoStu said:

They already tried that in the Janie Hendrix model which was another disaster and got scrapped before launch!
    FTFY.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5594
    ICBM said:
    DiscoStu said:

They already tried that in the Janie Hendrix model which was another disaster and got scrapped before launch!
    FTFY.
    Well yeah, pretty much!