On Vintage tv channel .....The Blockheads:Live at the Water Rats

What's Hot
Dunno what year this was recorded..or who the bloke is who is taking Drurys place as singer....but the old boys are sounding great.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• We don't get Vintage anymore ( don’t know why). IIRC Ian’s son has fronted the band for quite a while. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    edited February 2018
    The singer is Derek the Draw. He was Ian Dury’s mate/minder and the band’s roadie at one time. He had the same sort of accent as Dury and the band thought he’d be a good fit as the front man. Love the Blockheads, they’re one of the tightest, funkiest bands you could hope to see play live. Edit: the other one is the Average White Band. Saw them about a couple of years back and they’ve still got the funk y’all 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    We don't get Vintage anymore ( don’t know why). IIRC Ian’s son has fronted the band for quite a while. 
    Afaik Baxter only did a few gigs with the band. One was Ian’s funeral wake. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    An old school friend of mine just supported the Blockheads at the O2 in Oxford and interviewed some of them.

See them all here:

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    We don't get Vintage anymore ( don’t know why). IIRC Ian’s son has fronted the band for quite a while. 
    Ahh. I have a vague memory that Phil Jupitus did some gigs fronting them at some point [ Google says their 30th anniversary tour in 2007]. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited February 2018
    boogieman said:
    Ahh. I have a vague memory that Phil Jupitus did some gigs fronting them at some point [ Google says their 30th anniversary tour in 2007]. 
    Oh yes, I’d forgotten about that.

I saw Andy Serkis do a couple of songs with them once too.  It was a London gig with Eddie and the Hotrods and the Boomtown Rats (Bob Geldof was watching from the back of the hall, trying to look “inconspicuous”.... in a lime green suit with sunflowers all over it. A right nob end )  Andy Serkis had just done the Sex & Drugs film so I guess that’s how he got the gig.. he had a truly terrible voice but amazing stage presence.