Anyone else here feel like they rent, rather than own, guitars?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I kinda feel the same as the OP - I've got one acoustic, one electric and one bass that I'll NEVER part with, and pretty much everything else comes and goes (although the Gordon Smith I bought last year has pretty much slipped it's way into 'keeper' status as well now). 

With the guitar market being the way it is and the joy of eBay it's quite easy to get something 'on spec', give it a week or two and then flip it without making (much of) a loss if you find something doesn't suit you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2036
    @Adam_MD I know what you mean, but sometimes I just pop things onto gumtree etc. just to see what swaps might result. That's the case with the Ltd at the minute. I'm not bonding with it, so no harm to gauge some interest.

Anyway, glad I'm not the only one. And, I do sort of enjoy the trading.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3013
    I do buy and sell (normally for a fair sized loss) a load of guitars and I don't really know why I keep getting sucked into it because 99% of the time I still only really play the Tyler or the Heritage....
  • I don't often shift them on. Anything I don't want to keep would probably be unattractive to someone else for similar reasons as it is unattractive to me. I'm usually v careful about what I buy so if I like it enough to buy I like it enough to keep
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Half the fun is trading the things... Always looking for that perfect guitar that looks cool when I am playing it, plays like butter, can sound like the perfect tele/strat/les paul, matches my shirts when gigging, would go unnoticed by my wife as a new purchase...  Only ever successful with the last point...  Have bought and sold the same guitar to the same person at 2 to 3 year intervals on more than one occasion.. Nice to see that I am not alone..   
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8565
    edited August 2013

I went almost 10 years with pretty much just an American Standard Strat - but that was when I was gigging and had better things to do with my guitar-time!

For the last few years, I've been going through phases, last year I was on a trail for a Gibson type and traded quite a lot but stuck on a Midtown.

This year I've been on a Superstrat trail and have traded a few to get to my current one.

When I stick, I tend to stick for good but I don't mind experimenting to make sure I've "played the field" before settling down.

There is no correlation between trying before for me, some I've tried in the shop I've sold on, many I've bought unseen have been keepers. Until I've lived with it for a few weeks I don't know for sure.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    Bucket said:
    When I buy, I usually have the mindset of them being "keepers" - that's why I have so many of the bloody things!
    +1
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2036
    I suppose, also, it's something to do with age. When I was young and it was all fields round here, a pint for tuppence and a fish supper for half a crown, I had a stack of guitars.  Most of them shite!

Now, I've less room, less time - but I'm determined to try out plenty.

Frankly, when it comes down to it I'd survive with just a Tele or a Strat. Perhaps I should do that and start changing amps every week instead?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    I've only got 2 electrics, a PRS and Strat, both of which have been customised, and they've been with me for 14 & 12 yrs respectively. I have a Taylor too and that's it and I can't ever recall a time when I had more than 3 guitars. Lack of funds and the wrath of Mrs.K don't allow for any more, but then I'm not a collector and hate guitars just sitting there and not getting regular use. So, like a couple of people here, I try and go for keepers. Pedals/rack effects are another story but even that's subsided.
    I do feel the pull of a Tele though!
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Kebabkid;17941" said:

I do feel the pull of a Tele though!
    Do it, you won't regret it!

As a long time gigging bassist who's only started playing lead guitar in public in the last 18 months I've acquired a decent set of guitars quite quickly out of necessity as much as anything, but I feel like I'm pretty set already.

The three that get the regular beating are an '04 USA Tele I picked up a few months ago, a '72 Tele Deluxe RI and an Edwards Les Paul. To be honest, I could get by with just the two Teles but its nice to have another flavour on hand!

Of the three that stay home two are keepers for sentimental reasons - the Epi LP Special that was my first guitar and the Ibanez AR250 Artist reissue that I got for my 18th. I think it'd break my dad's heart if I sold it, he's always disappointed that I'm not playing it when he occasionally sees me gig. The Sunn Mustang I could live without, but it doesn't hurt to have a Strat laying about just in case!

I do get urges sometimes and start craving a semi or something loaded with P90s but it always passes. I think the Tele really has cured my guitar cravings!