PRRI FSR - The one that got away

What's Hot
DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
edited March 2014 in Amps
Browsing Anderton's site this morning and saw that one of their Celestion Gold FSR Princetons was going for 799 quid. I've always wanted a Princeton and as the standard ones are going for 950 quid I thought I'd treat myself and bought it.
Gutted to get an email back telling me it's damaged but reduced from 1149. They sent me pics. Tolex has a deep nick in it down to wood and there's a nasty scratch on one side, again down to the wood.
Disappointed as I thought I was getting a rare bargain (only 2 in the UK) but sadly the damage is too extreme for me.
I was prepping my NAD thread too! Oh well.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73140
    Buy it and have it re-covered in a more interesting tolex.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    I thought about it ICBM. It's a numbered item (only 28 made) and just doesn't seem right to do so. If I buy new (even discounted), I expect new. If it was a guitar however....... ;)
  • Buy it and forget about the external condition. Ask how it happened to judge whether internals are affected.

It's probably a cracking amp, and fender have charged extra for relic type ones before (I remember seeing a bassman with a tea stain on it...).
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32016
    That's odd, when I was looking for a Princeton, used FSRs in silly colours were cheaper and more plentiful than the standard PRRI.

I'd leave it, or do what I did and get a new '68 Silverface Princeton for £750.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    p90fool said:
    That's odd, when I was looking for a Princeton, used FSRs in silly colours were cheaper and more plentiful than the standard PRRI.

I noticed the same. I also notice that Andertons are selling the '68 Silverface RI for £757 whilst the '65 Blackface RI is £948.

Coda had a 65 PRRI for £729 a couple of weeks back - a friend of mine now owns that one.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Buy it, use the money saved to 'enclose' it in a flight case so you never have to see it. (lift off front and rear all on wheels).

When you sell it (like just after hell freezes over) leave it in the case but tell the new owner. No one else need ever know and we won't tell (I'm assuming you'll send cakes to everyone on the forum)!

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32016
    Gagaryn;187962" said:
    p90fool said:

I noticed the same. I also notice that Andertons are selling the '68 Silverface RI for £757 whilst the '65 Blackface RI is £948.Coda had a 65 PRRI for £729 a couple of weeks back - a friend of mine now owns that one.
    The reason for the price difference is that the 68 is Mexican made.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    edited March 2014
    Doh - Pare-down the raised edge to divot/cut and get some BLACK silicone mastic and dawb it in and get a large-pore sponge and dap over to get matching Tolex-y finish!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe;190791" said:
    Doh - Pare-down the raised edge to divot/cut and get some BLACK silicone mastic and dawb it in and get a large-pore sponge and dap over to get matching Tolex-y finish!
    That would look lush on gold sparkle tolex
    >:D<
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    ThePrettyDamned;187651" said:
    Buy it and forget about the external condition. Ask how it happened to judge whether internals are affected.

It's probably a cracking amp, and fender have charged extra for relic type ones before (I remember seeing a bassman with a tea stain on it...).
    I thought about it Paul. Pulled out now though. They've removed it from the site now too strangely enough.