Need advice on bass amps

I am tasked with finding a new bass amp for my church as the one we've been using for years is dead. (No idea what make it is).

We tend to use the itself more as a monitor and DI it to the mixing desk. Looking at combos there are many with a dedicated DI output. I assume that won't mute the speaker when the DI output is used?

I don't think we'll have a big budget - probably a few hundred pounds.
A quick look on Andertons brings up ones like: Fender Rumble 100, Gallien Krueger MB110, TC Electronic BG250.

I'm not a bassist so have no idea about these amps. Are they any good? What others could I look for?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    All I can add is, I’d avoid the TC... they’re a bit flaky.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Over on Talkbass, where many, many people seek advice on budget/mid-price combos for church use, the commonest answer is "Fender Rumble".

They do sound good and have a reliable rep. I'd consider the 200-watter, not so much for volume but for a bit more clean headroom. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72356
    simonk said:
    All I can add is, I’d avoid the TC... they’re a bit flaky.
    And avoid Ashdown.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martmart Frets: 5205
    +1 to the Rumble recommendation. I heard one in a pub and was hugely impressed at the sound.
  • My son’s Rumble sounds amazing for the price, very lightweight and we’ve had no problems with it. Can’t think that the DI has ever been used so I can’t comment on that. It’s only the 40 ( IIRC) so lacking some bottom end but it has coped with a gig so the 100 should give lots of headroom ( unless it’s the Church of Motörhead). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    Imho the di on the markbass combos is exceptional. They are a bit expensive. Also imho if budget is tight get a peavey tnt and a decent di box.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Rumbles are good and Roland Bass Cube 120XL is a goody.

I'd avoid the lower range TC stuff as they have reliability issues.

If you don't need an amp and have monitoring, you could look at a Zoom B3 unit. They have a good DI and the sounds are decent and include a lot of bass models
  • Thanks all. Sounds like the Rumble might be well worth a look.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    edited February 2018

@lincolnblue - we bought an Ampeg BA115 for our church 2 or 3 years ago.  Used exactly as you describe with DI out into the PA.  Very happy with it. 

150W with a 15" speaker but it's only around 20kg.

• Rumbles have a great reputation but I went for an Ampeg. I went for the smallest combo, which sounds great for home playing but the BA-115 is the first in the series that has an XLR line out. Orange was the other make I was considering, might be worth a look.