Going down that gear rabbit hole again!

What's Hot
Had some time on my hands and started checking out a few bits. Then get looking at rigs. Then get some inspiration. Then go to pedalboard planner. Then get carried away. Before you know it, I've designed 3 different rigs, all of which can do everything I need to do for anyone I work with in any venue. The biggest of them consists of a custom made flightcase with a 212 cab on one side and a 17u rack chock full of stuff and weighing in at a smidge under 200kg. This could get very expensive. I really shouldn't be allowed to look at gear. 

https://i.imgur.com/g3DUBk6.jpg

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Yeah but it's fun though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    Yeah but it's fun though. 
    It is indeed. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lot to be said for just ignoring gear. It's so addictive. 
    GAS always happens the most when I'm bandless and bored, or just starting a new project.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited February 2018
    What it comes back to for me is quite straightforward.

- Do I like playing through it
    - Do I like using it, both in terms of switching but also set up/pack down time
    - Can I transport and lift it on my own

That easily rules out loads of rigs.  In fact the only rigs that make sense for me are all in one digital, or simple pedalboard and multi channel head.
  • Had some time on my hands and started checking out a few bits. Then get looking at rigs. Then get some inspiration. Then go to pedalboard planner. Then get carried away. Before you know it, I've designed 3 different rigs, all of which can do everything I need to do for anyone I work with in any venue. The biggest of them consists of a custom made flightcase with a 212 cab on one side and a 17u rack chock full of stuff and weighing in at a smidge under 200kg. This could get very expensive. I really shouldn't be allowed to look at gear. 

https://i.imgur.com/g3DUBk6.jpg
    nice rack!
  • What it comes back to for me is quite straightforward.

- Do I like playing through it
    - Do I like using it, both in terms of switching but also set up/pack down time
    - Can I transport and lift it on my own

That easily rules out loads of rigs.  In fact the only rigs that make sense for me are all in one digital, or simple pedalboard and multi channel head.
    The big one for me is...

- Can I get it all set up and on stage with no help (and break it down) in the five minutes I usually have for changeover

As you say, that rules out the majority of rigs I'd choose. Hence...Helix and a make-louder device of some sort ;)
    <space for hire>