Combo Vs head and cab... anyone got a view on this dilema??

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I'm still looking ta getting rid of my 100watt amp head and 4x12 . I don;t need that kind of power, and I'd like something smaller.

I've had some greta combos and some great heads and cabs, and I just can't decide which i should be looking ta. Combo (and maybe ext cabinet) or smaller head and 2x12.

I play in 3 bands, ranging from garagey punk (hellacopters, supersuckers, radio birdman, dictators) NWOBHM , and crossover punk/metal. So bascically I'm looking for decent british style drive sounds.

Has anyone got a view on this?? Anyone done it??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2580
    tFB Trader
    A smaller head and cab is what I would say, you can make a 2 X 12 cab sound huge and even a ported 1 x 12 sounds pretty good, and for hard rock I would take any of those over a small combo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Having the same dilemma myself at the mo. Most of my amps are heads paired with 4x12s. I bought a Friedman SB50 combo, but wondering whether to switch to the head version. The combo is convenient, compact and always 'ready to go', but I'm thinking I prefer the 'modular' format.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Head and cab gives more flexibility.  You always have the option of mix and match.  Combos over 20W can get quite heavy as well.
  • Head and cab, unless the particular amp is known for its tone in combo format - eg Fender/Vox etc 
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    I've had both and find combos far easier to move around, plug in quick and go.  Logically head and cab should be no more hassle, but I prefer just having the one thing to move, plug in and go.  That may not sound like it makes sense, but that was my experience.  Of course if it was a big, heavy amp then head and cab may be better, as you wouldn't have such a big weight.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Combos all the way for me. With a head, anything other than a 4x12 is annoying because you can't tilt it back easily to get the sound pointing at your head. 
    Also with a combo there's no danger of leaving your speaker lead at home by accident...
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Oh, and coincidentally it sounds like what you need is my Hiwatt Studio/Stage 2x12 combo. British drive sounds are what it does best.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom