1969 master lead 30 watt?

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
So theres an advert locally for a 1969 marshall mastrr lead combo  2 x 12 eith G12 speakers for £140. Is that like good?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72542
    I suspect it needs a flux capacitor replacement.

Because it wasn't made until at least 1976.

:)

They're tolerable... if you like the sound of a giant farty fuzzbox with speakers. The clean sound isn't bad, although nothing really special.

£140 is about right for one in good condition and full working order.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• If it's the transistor job with the "normal" "bright" and "mix" inputs, I used to have one, probably bought in 1977. Can't remember what happened to it but I moved it on once I'd got something better. £140 must be the absolute top whack for one of those and tbh I'd baulk at paying it. Offer him a ton. If he turns it down, don't worry. If you want a mid-powered tranny job, the Valvestates are way better for your money.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Tbh, Im totallt clueless on vintage stuff. Its advertised on the work intranet but if its crap, ill keep my Helix for now :)
  • I think your Helix will give you more and better sounds tbh.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72542
    Jetfire said:
    Tbh, Im totallt clueless on vintage stuff. Its advertised on the work intranet but if its crap, ill keep my Helix for now :)
    It's not complete crap, but it is very much not a classic vintage Marshall that happens to be going for a song ;).

If you wanted it for a sort of 1970s glam rock to Status Quo type sound, or as a moderate-volume clean platform for pedals, they're nice enough - not that loud, but also not that heavy either. They are also nowhere near as unreliable as the 100W head versions in the same series, probably because the speakers are hardwired so they can't be impedance mismatched or shorted in the same way.

If I remember the last one I saw was on sale in the shop I work for at £199, but it was there for months and I think it sold for less than that in the end. I definitely wouldn't pay more than £150 for one in a private sale.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    ICBM said:
    I suspect it needs a flux capacitor replacement.

Why does this sound like a line from Dr. Who...??!!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>